Partying with the Lumia 928 for my B-day(Photo Samples and Recap)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
*Pictures are below but just wanted to share my experience with the Lumia 928..skip below if you want to see just the pics*

So I have been around the block with windows phones since Windows Phone 8 last year haha...Started off with a Lumia 810 then a couple of 8x(Nice looking phone, horrible support/reception), Lumia 920(Red & Yellow), Lumia 1020(I liked it but not for 300 dollars) and now my latest Lumia 928...Which will likely be going back. I don't have any MAJOR Issues with it because i do like the phone but i want GSM and I like At&t so i may get a 920 again.

Anyway my birthday(18) and my sister's(we're twins) and my friends 22nd birthday were on Saturday August 24th and we both were taking a crapload of pics. He has used nothing but iphone since it first came out but he has gotten bored and recently got an iphone 5 and was taking a bunch of pictures. Of course taking pictures in low lighting of restaurants and later at the club, his pictures came out looking horrible and he was bugged because it sucked getting pictures that looked decent.

Now my other friend had an HTC ONE and I will admit the Front Camera on the ONE comes in Handy for Group Selfies because of the Wide angle and it's night shots are DECENT. And I'll admit that i don't fully know how to utilize the power of my lumia's camera(which is why i returned the 1020) but my 928 came in handy at dinner as well as later that night at the club and outside the club with just streetlights and limited lighting. The fact that with popular(and overhyped phones that were with us that night such as the Iphone 5, HTC ONE, Moto X and Galaxy S4...My Lumia's camera did spectacularly). I am now the Default guy to go to when it comes to taking pics at parties and other outings lol.

It is funny because today when i saw my friend and he was helping me move into my dorm, he showed me his new phone...a black Lumia 928 with verizon. he said the camera definitely enticed him and he calls the "Live tiles" animated widgets that he found interesting haha.

While i likely will not be keeping the 928(I really don't want verizon) i wished Verizon and Nokia would step up the marketing for this phone as it does deserve way more attention than it is getting.

Because i don't like posting pics of people without permission, I'll just post some shots of the b-day dinner/surrounding area :)

2gu9ydy.jpg
3340iz9.jpg
kbq7ue.jpg
ygjmr.jpg
11rce0z.jpg
2zsbtll.jpg

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, your 928 is a fully unlocked GSM phone. I have two, one on T-Mobile and one on Verizon, though at the moment LTE only works on Verizon (it will be updated to use the 1700/2100 AWS LTE band that T-Mobile also uses when Verizon launches theirs later this year)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just a heads up, your 928 is a fully unlocked GSM phone. I have two, one on T-Mobile and one on Verizon, though at the moment LTE only works on Verizon (it will be updated to use the 1700/2100 AWS LTE band that T-Mobile also uses when Verizon launches theirs later this year)
I heard pic msg doesn't work properly with Verizon windows phones on other carriers.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I heard pic msg doesn't work properly with Verizon windows phones on other carriers.

I've gotten it working before, need to play around with the APN settings, but have been using a Q10 with my T-Mobile SIM recently. I'll test it out and get back to you

Edit: it seemed to fail the first time I tried it, but if you create a new APN in Access Point with the exact same settings as the default one and then apply it, it works. Alternatively, in GDR2 you can manually edit the MMS APN settings in Cellular, which also makes it work (I have both set properly now). I think its a problem with how Access Point sets the APN's when you change SIMs. Weirdly, every mms but picture messaging (location, contact, etc) went through fine originally

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
DO you know if the coverage is the same with t-mobile regardless if you go the simple choice route(their new plans) or monthly 4G(their old prepaid plans).

I've gotten it working before, need to play around with the APN settings, but have been using a Q10 with my T-Mobile SIM recently. I'll test it out and get back to you

Edit: it seemed to fail the first time I tried it, but if you create a new APN in Access Point with the exact same settings as the default one and then apply it, it works. Alternatively, in GDR2 you can manually edit the MMS APN settings in Cellular, which also makes it work (I have both set properly now). I think its a problem with how Access Point sets the APN's when you change SIMs. Weirdly, every mms but picture messaging (location, contact, etc) went through fine originally

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmm my original reply didn't post from the Wpcentral app.

But yeah I said that I don't care too much about data. I've never been in an area where any of the networks internet was good(We lived in a rural area in North Carolina and since moving to Jersey, I do live in a city now but I am so used to always using wifi that I really rarely use my data package).

As long as I can make calls out and text I am good to go :p I do remember T-Mobile having moderately decent coverage with the Prepaid side of things, I think. I did like Att's coverage when I had them with my 920 but I don't want gophone(or T-Mobile Prepaid) simply because I hate the fact that the support centers are not American based which often means a subpar experience when you need to call(The very reason why I used to pay more for less using gophone instead of going to Straight talk),

Such a difficult choice though. But I will say Verizon coverage has grown on me quite a bit. It may not be GSM but I do like having signal in the most obscure places(Had signal on a subway today and didn't lose signal one time lol).

Prepaid doesn't appear to be as good, at least from when I did my research. I think on the new (more expensive plans vs prepaid) you can roam onto AT&T in certain areas and have it not count as roaming, whereas on prepaid you can not roam.

Edit: check out post #6 here:
Please don't use T-Mobile's $30 a month prepaid for road trips. - AnandTech Forums

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
If you can afford to stay on Verizon, I'd do it. Nice thing about Verizon is that you also get a fully unlocked phone and they have the best network, by far. I live in Mew York, so used to a great network, but when I travel their network is still great. Middle of nowhere VT still had LTE

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes