Lumia 928 photos taking on a green tint plus other camera issues

TheNidhogg

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know why this is, but pictures from my front camera are extremely green in certain light. Natural skin tones turn to an almost comic-book like sickly green after the photo is taken. The picture quality looks amazing before, and during the image preview, but once I look at the saved image the colors are totally off. I have screen protector on my Lumia that was slightly misaligned when it was put on, and I though maybe that was the cause, but if so, why does the picture look fine up until the picture is actually taken? It sounds like a problem with software.

And while we're on the subject, why can't the main camera get colors right? It's the same issue as before, image looks amazing when I'm taking it, post-shot it takes on weird color tints (excessively yellow w/o xenon flash or slightly green) and softens a lot more then I'd like. I mean, it's a 8.7megapixel camera, it should be able to take very sharp shots, which once again, shots look very sharp as I'm taking them, afterwards they get blurred/softened considerably. I knew Lumia pictures were softer, and sometimes it looks good, but at other times it's annoying. All in all I'm actually fairly disappointed by the 928's camera, mostly because it was advertised as being much better than it seems to actually be. About all it seems to be good at is taking really good night time photos, but aside from that my friends iPhone pictures often look just as good or better. And iPhones don't even have very good cameras.

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
While this might not be the source of the problem (really a sample of the problem photo would be good to see), consider this:

The strange color tones can be caused by phone choosing the wrong setting called "white balance". Think of white balance as the "color" of the white light in a specific situation. For example, things will look differently under fluorescent vs. cloudy vs. sunshine light.

If you are keeping your phone camera on Auto mode and letting it choose the white balance, it is possible that it gets chosen wrongly in a specific area / situation. Phones try to guess. They don't always guess right.

To see if this is even the problem, when you are in a situation where this usually happens, try to go to Photo settings and change the white balance from the Auto setting to what looks best on the screen when you flip through other WB settings. Then take the picture.

Another thing to check: you did not mention if you carry your phone in a case. If the case actually covers the flash / lens, it is possible that the flash or focus light diffuse enough light through the case material (window) to throw off the WB calculation significantly and give you a weird result.

So try taking the phone out of the case. Try wiping the camera lens to make sure it's clean. Finally - see if the problem happens if you use flash vs. force the flash off.

That'll give us a little bit of a better idea where the problem is.

Zamir Yusof

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
While this might not be the source of the problem (really a sample of the problem photo would be good to see), consider this:

The strange color tones can be caused by phone choosing the wrong setting called "white balance". Think of white balance as the "color" of the white light in a specific situation. For example, things will look differently under fluorescent vs. cloudy vs. sunshine light.

If you are keeping your phone camera on Auto mode and letting it choose the white balance, it is possible that it gets chosen wrongly in a specific area / situation. Phones try to guess. They don't always guess right.

To see if this is even the problem, when you are in a situation where this usually happens, try to go to Photo settings and change the white balance from the Auto setting to what looks best on the screen when you flip through other WB settings. Then take the picture.

Another thing to check: you did not mention if you carry your phone in a case. If the case actually covers the flash / lens, it is possible that the flash or focus light diffuse enough light through the case material (window) to throw off the WB calculation significantly and give you a weird result.

So try taking the phone out of the case. Try wiping the camera lens to make sure it's clean. Finally - see if the problem happens if you use flash vs. force the flash off.

That'll give us a little bit of a better idea where the problem is.

even on correct white balance setting it still add the tint. the problem is the post processing that the camera applies before saving the photo.
we already discussed it here http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/237916-lumia-920-camera-bug-after-amber-update.html

Neil Gerada

Feb 26, 2014
Visit site
I' ve been experiencing the same problems with my Lumia 720 since the Amber update (ironic how one of the new features that Amber was supposed to bring was a better camera). The front camera is anything but decent and the main camera suffers in indoor photography. This lumia has a large aperture which should benefit the photo in general especially in low light and maybe indoors, this was evident before the Amber update. In well-lit outdoor scenes the photos are impeccable however

It seems that Nokia are doing this on purpose or is just too lazy to rectify it. Either way it is bad publicty.

P.s. I know my way around a camera and have tried countless combinations of settings but the problem still persisted.

ArsenalofDoom

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Believe it or not it could be as simple as the case you're using.
I was using a transparent blue case that I bought from Verizon specifically made for the 928, when I got the phone (forgot manu.).
I wasn't aware of the green tint issue until a friend pointed it out to me.
New case solid black inexpensive Chinese hard case with soft liner, tint gone, what?
Yup, ya never know,it can be that simple...
(They both have the proper cut-outs)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99