Poll regarding battery life for lumia 928

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi y'all,

I know there are a lot of battery life threads and I apologize for yet another but...

My DH and I each have a lumia 928. He has black and I have white. His battery has been really nice after two charge cycles. Mine, not so much. I am not a power user and any little thing I do like browsing on wifi takes me down by about 14% an hour. We run the same apps and identical settings AND, he uses his phone way more than I do.

So, I am curious to learn if most of the LINGERING battery problems on the 928 have been isolated to the white model. Perhaps a bad batch of batteries got sent to the line making the white ones?

Responses appreciated,

Jamie

Last edited:

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
How to you store your phone? and how does your DH store their phone? Are you or your DH in a fringe reception area? A phone looking for a signal can waste a lot of battery searching for a signal.

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
It's not a question of what might make battery life better. The point is that in the same house, with the same settings and taking the whole morning yesterday to do the exact same things with our phones, my discharge rate is twice what his is. Yes, I am in a fringe reception area. So is he. We live together. I don't expect to get the same battery life as the folks 50 miles south of me. I DO expect to get the same life as the identical phone in my house.

If it doesn't improve over the next week, I will ask for a replacement. I'm not turning off things I need on a regular basis to improve battery when my husband can run them all day long with no problem. Just doesn't make sense. I am just trying to figure out if there seems to be a correlation between color and continued battery issues so that if I have to get a replacement I can choose to get a black one. Perhaps a bad batch of batteries went to factory or something. That's all.

Sorry if my first post was confusing.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It's not a question of what might make battery life better. The point is that in the same house, with the same settings and taking the whole morning yesterday to do the exact same things with our phones, my discharge rate is twice what his is. Yes, I am in a fringe reception area. So is he. We live together. I don't expect to get the same battery life as the folks 50 miles south of me. I DO expect to get the same life as the identical phone in my house.

If it doesn't improve over the next week, I will ask for a replacement. I'm not turning off things I need on a regular basis to improve battery when my husband can run them all day long with no problem. Just doesn't make sense. I am just trying to figure out if there seems to be a correlation between color and continued battery issues so that if I have to get a replacement I can choose to get a black one. Perhaps a bad batch of batteries went to factory or something. That's all.

Sorry if my first post was confusing.

I understand. Why don't you try flipping SIM cards for a couple of days and see if the white phone drains as fast when the DH has it. Just a thought. :smile: ...or just return it as you mentioned if it doesn't improve.

GraniteStateColin

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the black 928, and my battery life generally seems pretty good, but it will show weird results on the charge - 100% one minute, 84% a few minutes later (maybe 5), even though it had been on the charger (wireless) and not doing anything in the interim. I installed Nokia's Battery Pro+ a few weeks ago, which has slowly shifted from always showing 1% usage per hour, to 2%, and now to 3%. I've only owned the phone for about 1.5 months now.

I bought my wife the same phone (also in black). I don't think she has the problem of the fluctuating readings, but I haven't tested yet. Maybe she does and just hasn't noticed.

Your theory about a bad battery, whether for a batch or just your phone, sounds reasonable. A poor battery would manifest itself either with just poor life or sudden drops during usage, as some of the battery's failing internal cells collapse very quickly following a recharge (because some cells within the battery hold a charge and others don't).

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for that information. Based on your circumstances it doesn't seem to be a color or region of manufacture which is a little disappointing because that means it's hit or miss on a replacement. Has anyone gotten a replacement for bad battery and seen improvement? I wonder if nokia can just replace the battery for me if it doesn't get better. I would be happy with 3% an hour. :). It's the 14% that's killing me. Lol

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I get roughly 5-8 hours heavy usage and medium to light usage I get roughly 9-12 hours. But I also think the battery life issues stem from the actual charger. The charger that came with my phone is slow to charge my phone it takes about 2 to 2 and a half hours to charge the phone completely I've ran into people that their phone takes 30-45 mins to charge and lasts them all day. Not sure what issue is exactly I think im going to try a galaxy s3 or 4 charger because I've read using that charger made the battery life better anyone else with any experience on using a different charger improving battery life?

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I get roughly 5-8 hours heavy usage and medium to light usage I get roughly 9-12 hours. But I also think the battery life issues stem from the actual charger. The charger that came with my phone is slow to charge my phone it takes about 2 to 2 and a half hours to charge the phone completely I've ran into people that their phone takes 30-45 mins to charge and lasts them all day. Not sure what issue is exactly I think im going to try a galaxy s3 or 4 charger because I've read using that charger made the battery life better anyone else with any experience on using a different charger improving battery life?

Wow. Mine takes 4-5 hours from dead to a full charge. This is the wall charger that came with the phone not a wireless charger. Interesting thought. I wonder if the charger is the culprit or if the slow charge time is indicative of a bad battery.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Wow. Mine takes 4-5 hours from dead to a full charge. This is the wall charger that came with the phone not a wireless charger. Interesting thought. I wonder if the charger is the culprit or if the slow charge time is indicative of a bad battery.

Not necessarily, the USB cable that comes with the phone is a data and a charging cable. The maximum amount of power through a standard USB cable is 500mA. There are USB charging cables that allow the full ampere of your charger to your phone, but does not have a data connection.

There are numerous post here about people using 1.5 - 2.0 amp chargers in their car and the GPS drains the battery faster that the car charger can charge it. Their situation is resolved by going to a USB charging cable. Obviously the GPS causes the phone to use over 500mA. There are also several post where people have made their own USB charging cable by shorting the data wires.

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Not necessarily, the USB cable that comes with the phone is a data and a charging cable. The maximum amount of power through a standard USB cable is 500mA. There are USB charging cables that allow the full ampere of your charger to your phone, but does not have a data connection.

There are numerous post here about people using 1.5 - 2.0 amp chargers in their car and the GPS drains the battery faster that the car charger can charge it. Their situation is resolved by going to a USB charging cable. Obviously the GPS causes the phone to use over 500mA. There are also several post where people have made their own USB charging cable by shorting the data wires.

Okayyyyy, we are out of my league here. I'd like to understand this and because I am truly ignorant on this subject, I don't understand how this effects battery life on one phone vs another. Could you provide more detail please?

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The information given is not enough information to say that there is a problem with charging. The average charger out there is putting out 500 milliamps (mA). There are also 1.0 amp (1000 mA) chargers that aren't uncommon. Assuming that the battery voltage is 5.0 volts (I don't know what the voltage is, so I'm using 5, since that's the charger output), and knowing that the battery is a 2,000 mAH battery (milliamp-hour), that means with a 500 mA charger it takes four hours to go from dead to fully charged, while with a 1 A charger it goes from dead to fully charged in two hours. 2000 mAH / charger rate = time.

So if you're using the average charger that puts out 500 mA, and the other person is using a 1A charger, the 2 hours vs. 4 hours is perfectly normal and what should be expected.

antsin3d

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is good, except when it gets into the fast discharge mode and locks the screen up (where the camera button and such works fine, but the touch screen seems malfunctioning). Then it dies within an hour or two.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Okayyyyy, we are out of my league here. I'd like to understand this and because I am truly ignorant on this subject, I don't understand how this effects battery life on one phone vs another. Could you provide more detail please?

It doesn't affect the battery life on one phone vs another. I was trying to point out that your comment, "...if the slow charge time is indicative of a bad battery..." does not necessarily indicate a bad battery. Also please note hopmedic's post.

If I were you, I'd flip SIM cards with your DH to see if the battery life on the white unit remains the same. If it does, it just gives you more backup that the battery is bad, but that's just me. :smile:

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site

I get 3-4 from dead to full charge I always throw my phone on the charger around 30-40%

What u can do tho is use one of the battery apps and see what the charging speed is once u have it on the charger. At one point on the charger I was getting a 0.34% charging rate there's definitely something with the charger I'd like to believe

OldMillXxX

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
My wife and I have the same situation. She has the white and I have the black. Also similar results in batteries Mine lasts all day easily with anywhere from 20-40% left by the time I get home from work. This fluctuates a lot on it's own. I generally perform the same takes day in and day out, so not exactly sure why it fluctuates so much. Regardless, I am happy with the results. My wife's has had an issue where she will charge it all night and it shows maybe half of the battery right after charge. Either a simple power down, or soft reset will cure the issue for a couple days. This gets repeated often. Seems to have started around the time we updated to GDR2/Amber. Other than that, she does seem to get less life than I do and what should be identical phones. We do work in different areas and I understand the fringe argument. Either way, there is a difference.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For a update I got my wireless charger and charged to phone completely, off the charger its giving me a estimate of 10 hours remaining with the Nokia charger I got with my phone it would only give me a estimate of 7-8 hours left after a full charge

kamikaze80

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a white 928, charge it wirelessly. Feel like it takes 2-3 hrs for a full charge. Prob half that with wired charge. Battery lasts a full 24 hrs with normal use. WiFi at home.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
On my third white Lumia 928 (replaced twice due to other issues). Using the charger that came with my phone, it's always taken me about 1.5-2 hours to charge from 20% to full. All three phones have given me pretty great battery life, but my usage is fairly light. At this point I'm averaging about 1.5 days between charges, but my usage generally just consists of phone, text, email, reading from news apps, and navigation.

My advice: try to go through some more charge cycles before making your judgment. It took my first 928 about a week before it really started to show significant improvement in battery life. On GDR2/Amber right now, the max that I lose is about 10% per hour during heavy usage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett