Considering the 928

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey all,

It's about time to switch phones, and I've been an android user for quite some time but it's time for something different. Samsung is becoming just another ****** company like Apple, and I haven't had much luck with Moto's or LG's and I'll never go to an iPhone. Never.
I really like how the Lumia looks, and I love the minimal UI along with the tile interface. I do have a few questions to knock out before I commit though.

What's the overall best thing you guys enjoy about your 928's?

Has anyone had problems trying to connect the phone to a bluetooth radio? I drive a lot, and I'm always at car shows, so I really need something that will connect to my radio, and play without any problems. (Pioneer 2400BT).

If I don't run a case, should I expect a broken screen?

Are there any good protectors like Invisashield, etc for the 928's that people have used?

Is there anything I should know before buying the phone?

Note: I plan on buying a wireless car charger, and the wireless charging mat. I saw the accessories thread, are those the most widely used ones or is that list outdated?

Last edited:

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Specifically regarding the 928 what I like the most about the phone is:

-Wireless charging built-in (no adapter cover needed)
-Screen is beautiful AMOLED and flows to the edge of the phone perimeter creating a clean look.
-All the buttons are on the right hand side (though this is not exclusive to the 928) I like it much better than my old HTC HD7S that had the power button on the top edge of the phone

As far as your other questions:

Don't use bluetooth devices so can't comment on that question.

I really don't like cases because they make a beautiful phone look like just any other phone, though I would get a case if you have a habit of dropping your phone because with the edge to edge glass, there's not much cushion in the body of the phone to survive a corner impact and not crack the screen.

I don't believe there is an invisashield available for the 928, but there are two wet-application screen protectors available (Skinomi and ArmorSuit) and a handful of the harder stick-on screen protectors. I don't use a screen protector but I've heard it can be difficult to get the harder plastic stick-on screen protectors to stay adhered to the edges of the screen since it has a slight curve around the perimeter.

When you get your phone check over all of the functionality and make sure everything works as intended and if not, take it right back to the store and get a replacement. My first one had a problem with the vibrate causing the whole phone to rattle and also when the Windows key would light up in a dark room, it didn't look good at all. My replacement phone did not have either of those problems.

Proclip just came out with a 928 car cradle that has a corded charger. If you want a wireless car charger there's the Nokia CR-200, but it's way too expensive for my tastes. As far as wireless charging plate, I would get the DT-900. You can get it for $24.50 directly off of AT&T's site. I ordered two of them and there was a small discount for ordering two or more.

Hope all of that helps.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
What's the overall best thing you guys enjoy about your 928's?

Has anyone had problems trying to connect the phone to a bluetooth radio? I drive a lot, and I'm always at car shows, so I really need something that will connect to my radio, and play without any problems. (Pioneer 2400BT).

If I don't run a case, should I expect a broken screen?

Are there any good protectors like Invisashield, etc for the 928's that people have used?

Is there anything I should know before buying the phone?

Note: I plan on buying a wireless car charger, and the wireless charging mat. I saw the accessories thread, are those the most widely used ones or is that list outdated?
1. Probably simplicity

2. The BT in my car stereo only has the hands free profile. That works just fine. But I've added a Logitech BT receiver, plugged into the aux, and since it is a unit designed for home not car, it loses its memory when the car is shut off. So I have to connect to it manually when I get in the car. I've put an NFC sticker on the console, which opens the BT settings, so just a couple taps and I'm connected. I'm quite happy with the quality of the sound in the car, though I rarely listen to music - I do podcasts on my hour-long commute. At home, I use a JBL Power-up speaker, and it sounds awesome for its compact size. The only thing I wish was different was that it had a handle for easier carrying around the house to listen while I work on various projects. I also use a pair of LG Tone+ headphones (BT) while doing yard work. They're pretty good with it, too.

3. The phone is tough, but with today's big screens, there's more possibility of breakage. I'd recommend a case, but it all depends on you. If you carry insurance, look at buying at a Microsoft Store. Their insurance is $99 up front, covers for two years, has a $50 deductible, allows two replacements under the plan, and when you walk in and hand them $50 and a broken phone, they take a brand new phone out of the box, put your sim in it for you, and hand it over. I speak from experience. I dropped mine on the edge of a concrete step, breaking the glass.

4. I'm using a skin from Decal Girl, and over that is a Poetic Atmosphere case (translucent case). I like it.

5. I created the accessories thread, and if you see a bad link let me know and I'll delete it. I also add things from time to time, depending on what comes out.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Bluetooth - haven't tried it for music. It connects to my vehicles for hands-free texting.

case - if you drop your phone regularly, yeah I would expect a broken screen. I'm using a vertical pouch.

screen protector - I'm using a Zagg full body shield. It is a wet application. Perfect for scratch protection and allows the design, color and style of the phone to be seen.

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input everyone. I can't wait for a new phone, my current one is.. uhh.. had it's days. I got my Galaxy S3 opening night, and I liked it, but I'm ready to get away from Android I think. The past 7 phones have been Android. It's still up in the air. A friend of mine has a windows phone, I'm not sure which, but I plan on playing with it for a few hours saturday and hopefully I'll have a decision.

I really don't want a case, but my phone seems to find it's way to the floor quite often. So I think I will need one.
If I get one, I'll make sure to run it through a few tests. Check the vibrate, check the connectivity to my headunit, and give it the run down. I'll have the 30 days to return it if theres any problems.

Can you change the colors of the tiles? I don't like the color red, and all the pictures show red.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I was in the same boat as you coming over from Android. I was getting tired of Android and wanted something new. I went from GNex to the 928, wanted the 1020 but couldn't convince myself to switch carriers. I have been thoroughly impressed with WP8 so far. As far as BT goes I find that it connects and works so much better connecting to my truck through Sync. I also have found that it discovers BT devices much faster as well. I didn't think the wireless aspect would have been that big of a deal however I picked up a couple chargers through AT&T online for $24.50 a piece and when you order 2 or more you get an extra 10% off so total including shipping was around $47. I love being able to just set my phone down and have it charge rather than messing with plugs. I know a little petty convenience thing but truly worth it. I like not having to do battery pulls all the time. The phone just works as it should. Minimal lag in the OS especially compared with Android. I like being able to wear gloves and use the touchscreen. The speaker is so much better than a lot of other phones, both external and talking on the phone. Conversations are so much more clear now. I love the fact that it syncs with xbox so much better than Android did. The camera blows away anything I have ever seen Samsung produce minus the huge camera brick thing they just put out. I can actually take pictures in low light settings and have them come out. The only knock that I think Android does better is notifications. Hope this helps.

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that, It did. I love even just the thought of wireless charging. I'll definately have to grab 2 chargers. I'd love to buy the car one, but ehh, $75 can be spent on something else. I'm really interested in trying it out!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
929 may be potentially better but is also bordering that phablet area. I think any larger than the 928 would be a little too big for a phone.

The 1520 is Phablet. That is 6 inches. The 929 is .5 inches larger, at 5 inches. So it isn't really a phablet. Same size as the s4. And no one considers the s4 a phablet.

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I feel the same way. The 928 is as large as I want my phone. I do actually talk on my phone (fancy that, lol) and having a phablet up to my ear just doesn't seem comfortable. The 20MP Pureview would be nice, but I don't really care about quad core, 1080P, etc. Plus... I was able to get two 928s for free when Verizon was running their promotion. Now I see they went back up to $99.99. My guess is the 929 will start at 149.99 and be down to 99.99 around Christmas.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Things I like about my 928

1) Integrated People Hub - I can receive FB chats as phone text messages
2) Xenon flash
3) Great low light pics
4) Beautiful screen
5) Super Sensitive Touch screen - can use the phone with gloves on or through a baggie
6) 32 GB internal storage
7) WP8
8) Pro Cam - this will be better when all the camera apps are rolled into one
9) Built in wireless charging
10) Nokia HERE Apps (Integrated search + navigation is amazing)

I have three wireless chargers (2xNokia Wireless Charging Stand and the CR-200 Nokia Wireless Car Charger). I had to cut the right button on the CR-200 in half to keep it from clamping down on the camera button but since I made that change have been pretty happy with it.

I have a Jabra Freeway BT speaker in my car which doesn't seem to be able to stream music through my car stereo via FM waves (too much static). It does a decent job of hands free calling and I play my music over the Jabra's speaker not optimal I know but better than the radio.

My next phone will likely be Verizon's version of the 1020 but I want it in red, with built in Wireless charging, 64 GB storage + micro SD, full HD screen and quad core. Really want that camera.

CreationArt

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
My S3 is unusable, otherwise I'd wait it out. And being a college student, and having a daily commute I really need a phone.
I'm asking around to see if anyone has a 928 laying around, that I can borrow until the 929 comes out. I really want a phone running WP8 in the mean time if I decide to wait for the 929. That way I can get a feel for the UI and play around before hand.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb