New Nokia Lumia 928 Owner

Matthew McGeary

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Well I didn't get to do what I wanted and actually go to a brick and mortar Verizon store and get this phone and come home with it thanks to Verizon's lovely inventory system(sarcasm). I called the stores in my area that the website said had these phones and they were all sold out. No problem, at least I didn't drive 25 miles to the nearest Verizon store to get there and find out that they didn't have the phone. So I got over my disappointment and I ordered the phone online and will have it by Wednesday morning. I'm really looking forward to it since I'm going to school for mobile app development and want to deal mostly with Windows Phone and Windows Store apps. Also I figured if I'm going to be developing apps for these systems I better own them myself so I can debug and test properly etc. Also it is going to be so nice to finally have a phone that doesn't rely on iTunes. I'm coming from the iPhone 5 which I loved by the way with the exception of iTunes and my brand new Asus laptop don't play nicely together. I spent countless hours on the phone with Apple and Asus technicians trying to get the issue worked out that was causing iTunes to crash upon launch to no avail. That didn't bother me too much except for the approximately $150 worth of TV Shows and Movies that I could no longer watch. Anyways enough about that. Anybody know of some good cases and apps to download? I've always been a fan of the Otterbox Defender series cases, but they don't make a model for the 928 so a good case that has a belt holster or something similar in style to the Defender would be great.
CodeGunner

raul_junior

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Well I didn't get to do what I wanted and actually go to a brick and mortar Verizon store and get this phone and come home with it thanks to Verizon's lovely inventory system(sarcasm). I called the stores in my area that the website said had these phones and they were all sold out. No problem, at least I didn't drive 25 miles to the nearest Verizon store to get there and find out that they didn't have the phone. So I got over my disappointment and I ordered the phone online and will have it by Wednesday morning. I'm really looking forward to it since I'm going to school for mobile app development and want to deal mostly with Windows Phone and Windows Store apps. Also I figured if I'm going to be developing apps for these systems I better own them myself so I can debug and test properly etc. Also it is going to be so nice to finally have a phone that doesn't rely on iTunes. I'm coming from the iPhone 5 which I loved by the way with the exception of iTunes and my brand new Asus laptop don't play nicely together. I spent countless hours on the phone with Apple and Asus technicians trying to get the issue worked out that was causing iTunes to crash upon launch to no avail. That didn't bother me too much except for the approximately $150 worth of TV Shows and Movies that I could no longer watch. Anyways enough about that. Anybody know of some good cases and apps to download? I've always been a fan of the Otterbox Defender series cases, but they don't make a model for the 928 so a good case that has a belt holster or something similar in style to the Defender would be great.
CodeGunner

I ddon't know about cases but good apps areY for youtube-metro tube or mytube, and if you dont like some of the official apps try any apps by "rudy huyn" welcome to the family

yatman60

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
CodeGunner

Welcome to the "dark side" as iToy users will claim. I've had my 928 since they came out and I switched over from Android. I love the phone and personally, I like the extra weight (although I would have preferred the 920 form factor).

There's a lot of great camera apps that are free and there's a lot of Nokia apps that are free as well. I would search the market for all the Nokia and Bing apps. For banking, BofA and Chase have apps and I believe there's others as well (and more coming soon). Facebook and Facebook Beta , Fandango, AMC Theaters, Netflix, IMDB, Metrotube/MyTube/PrimeTube are good YouTube substitutes. If you're into the Olympics, NBC Sports Live Extra is official and you can watch the events live and for free. OpenTable, Pandora, Shazam, SoundHound, TuneIn Radio, Twitter, Linkedin, Vevo all have apps.

Waze, Wikipedia, Yelp are other official apps.

For some of the latest social networking apps, there's official versions coming but I'd do a search on Rudy Huyn and download his apps as in many cases, they're VERY good and better than the offiicial ones. As a matter of fact, the Wikipedia app you'll want is by him.

If you're getting into Windows Phone development, you should google him and find his blog site as he's one of the primary and respected developers in that community.

As far as cases goes, I personally have had the basic "gel" case from Verizon and it works great. It covers the entire phone (including the outside edges) which a lot of the cases I've seen are simply snap-ons and they don't cover the top and bottom edges of the phone.

Best of luck and welcome to the club. Look forward to seeing your apps in the store.

- T

yatman60

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Oh and check out the PayPal app if you use PayPal. I was working there at the time and I was the Product Manager who worked on this app and launched it. Unfortunately I no longer work there and PayPal has stopped any development on the app since.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99