Why is my Nokia Lumia 928 battery life abysmal post Windows 8.1/ Denim upgrade?

Shelley Glasner

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 928 battery life post windows 8.1/ denim upgrade

Windows upgrade pushed to my phone 2 days ago. Since, the battery takes for freaking ever to charge and never gets to 100% even after 24 hrs plus charging on factory equipment. The life of the battery is abysmal post update. Gmail account won't quit syncing and it stays greyed out so I can't delete it or change the sync settings. Otherwise, everything else as far as settings is optimized to preserve battery life. None of this a problem prior to upgrade. I'm about ready to chunk the thing. Really frustrated.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
If that google account won't stop syncing, then that's why your battery life is crap. Try taking off automatic date and time, clear any temp files under storage and restart your phone to see if that makes it stop.

If that fails, hard reset.

nwildcat

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 928 battery life post windows 8.1/ denim upgrade

Not sure about the gmail sync thing, but for battery life, have you looked in usage to see how your battery is draining? Have you disabled your background tasks? The upgrade basically reset all the previous tasks I had disabled unbeknownst to me, so I had to go through and disable everything one by one. Annoying, but battery life was as expected afterwards. If I can figure out how to turn off "connect to xbox" I'd do that too, because it helped before to improve battery life, but not sure that's an option anymore.

Big Papa Smurf

Apr 26, 2014
Visit site

Like most already posted, sounds like Google is messing with your battery. I have no issues charging my battery since the update. Can't tell if the life is better or worse since I usually burn through my battery quickly anyway..

3earnhardt3

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site

Delete and re-add your Google account, this is a common bug in WP platform.

wxgrl23

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
So along the same lines as those having frustrating battery issues post 8.1 update...I upgraded to 8.1 about 2-3 weeks ago. I never have my location or Cortana on, always on WiFi. I have disabled all background tasks except my Outlook email (I have it synced every hour and I dont use anything gmail or Google related). I don't use Glance; have the lowest screen lighting allowed. I can't figure out for the life of me why in the evenings, at home, on my home wifi, I go from almost 100% charge to about 50% charge every night. I lay my phone down about 10pm, its anywhere from 80-90% (I don't use it much at work) and by the time I get up around 6:30am, its easily lower than 50%, some mornings down to 20%. I have the app called Battery and the more it discharges, it goes at a quicker rate. For instance, 12am its a 4%/hr, then 5% hr a little after that; by 8am, it was saying 9-10% per hr. discharge. I am like WTF is going on, is it the hardware, software, the crappy upgrade? What is going on and with all that I have already done to conserve the battery, what more can I do? (BTW I have heard of a hard reset but not sure what it entails and nervous of doing one for fear of losing all my settings). Anyone have ideas on why I am getting a huge, fast battery drain at home at night post-8.1? Thank you for any responses.

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm having similar issues. Battery is great until about the time it gets to 80% around 4 p.m. and then it discharges quite fast. Never had the issue before the denim update. This evening I checked Facebook and read a couple news articles and it went from 81 to 55 in about an hours time. I also have nearly everything turned off. One email account checks every 30 minutes and the other is manually checked. Otherwise just a weather app and calendar allowed to run in background.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Why aren't you using battery saver to check? It shows what's using your battery.......

bdball

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site

Why aren't you using battery saver to check? It shows what's using your battery.......

Not really. It shows Internet Explorer 3.9% using the most then Facebook at 3.7, three in the 1% range and the rest are <1.

wxgrl23

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site

Similar to me. IE is 8%, FB is 3.8%m Google is 3% and the rest are under 1%. IMO- not much eating at the battery under battery saver.

Mike Waechter

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

Weird, if its not being reported, it would mean that its a system background task. Any email accounts gone crazy or anything?

mjperry51

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
In my view the Battery Saver reporting is halfway useful. It doesn't show any system processes that are obviously using power. It just seems to show app usage, and basic hardware usage (Phone, etc.)

It would be more useful to have access to ALL phone functions/hardware battery usage.(such as WiFi, system, etc.). In desktop Windows one can prevent unnecessary services from starting automatically -- having this kind of control would be useful

muneshyne21

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
Check data sense as well. If you are using an unusually high amount of data on any of your e-mail accounts you have to re-sync them. My battery was draining fast but not really showing up on Battery Sense. I noticed my main Windows Hotmail account was using tons of data despite not getting any e-mails. Turns out its a common bug. You need to sync the "trash" folder and everything turns peachy afterwards. Battery life is much better and 1/400th the data used on that account.

Also, I noticed when i first had Cortana the battery life sucked for a week or two.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Windows upgrade pushed to my phone 2 days ago. Since, the battery takes for freaking ever to charge and never gets to 100% even after 24 hrs plus charging on factory equipment. The life of the battery is abysmal post update. Gmail account won't quit syncing and it stays greyed out so I can't delete it or change the sync settings. Otherwise, everything else as far as settings is optimized to preserve battery life. None of this a problem prior to upgrade. I'm about ready to chunk the thing. Really frustrated.

To the OP, has your battery issue changed any?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babukapyar