928 is GONE from Verizon now too

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that Microsoft wanted to remove 'nokia lumia' from being sold right now? I mean it just seems strange to remove likely what sre the best selling devices and leave something like the m8 and the se.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just noticed that the 928 is no longer listed on Verizon.

This not a surprise and the presence as a lead article on this site is New York Post level BS. If you walk into a VZW store you will still see the 928 and even possibly the Icon on display. At least that is the case in all stores I have visited in the past several months. They also, however, will not hesitate to tell you stock is low and they were/are selling down warehouse inventory. Yes, I actually did talk to people when I was replacing a damaged 928. None of this is a surprise since it is an old phone that was not going to be available forever. The fact they actually kept it after ditching the Icon suggests it probably sold pretty well (and there were obvious problems with the Icon no one around here wants to face).

As to the article on this site alleging they pulled "all Lumias" how did they do that when there was only one; it was past the point they drop devices out; and they have no CDMA Lumia to add at this time? Please compare to the flood of Lumias available on the other US CDMA carrier. Yes, that is sarcasm. The new phones do not yet exist. This is also all coming after VZW beat all US carriers in releasing Denim for this "pulled" phone and the even older 822. I am sorry but this is not news - it is a footnote. Reading anything into the pasting out of an old (but very nice) phone was going to happen and their actual commitment to service was demonstrated a few weeks back.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This not a surprise and the presence as a lead article on this site is New York Post level BS. If you walk into a VZW store you will still see the 928 and even possibly the Icon on display. At least that is the case in all stores I have visited in the past several months. They also, however, will not hesitate to tell you stock is low and they were/are selling down warehouse inventory. Yes, I actually did talk to people when I was replacing a damaged 928. None of this is a surprise since it is an old phone that was not going to be available forever. The fact they actually kept it after ditching the Icon suggests it probably sold pretty well (and there were obvious problems with the Icon no one around here wants to face).

As to the article on this site alleging they pulled "all Lumias" how did they do that when there was only one; it was past the point they drop devices out; and they have no CDMA Lumia to add at this time? Please compare to the flood of Lumias available on the other US CDMA carrier. Yes, that is sarcasm. The new phones do not yet exist. This is also all coming after VZW beat all US carriers in releasing Denim for this "pulled" phone and the even older 822. I am sorry but this is not news - it is a footnote. Reading anything into the pasting out of an old (but very nice) phone was going to happen and their actual commitment to service was demonstrated a few weeks back.

Wow someone is angry. Was it that serious?

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I simply didn't really get it. Why Nokia release ICON anyway. They should only release 930 on US. They should be avon AT&T or other As long not Verizon get it

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Who would "they" be? Also, the HTC M8 is a relevant "thing".
Lol seems I can't escape this even in Lumia based articles :p

To tthe majority of the people I don't believe the m8 is relevant anymore than the SE was. It is sort of just there. They being Verizon since this is what the thread is about :)

Back on topic, I am glad that the se is there still for who wanted a Lumia bit can't get one and still want a lot of the same features and what not and thankfully Microsoft is still selling it.

But this probably is a way to drum up sales for the m8 windows or as someone said earlier new Lumia hardware could be coming soon.

To end my post, this is no disrespect to m8. Just my opinion is all :)

Mike Majeski

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Kind of sad to see the 928 go - that was my first experience with Windows Phone. A Verizon rep sent one to my girlfriend to try out for her blog. She was a huge Apple fan at the time so she really didn't use it too much. I was using Android so the Windows OS was a little confusing to me, but i grew to like it after a few weeks.
Considering that review was posted about two years ago I guess this phone was getting up there in age. Really think this isn't a "sky is falling" moment (can understand why some feel that way) and is simply Verizon running out of stock on a two-year old phone and not really having anything to replace it with.

Last edited:

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you walk into a VZW store you will still see the 928 and even possibly the Icon on display.

I walked into the largest Verizon Corporate store in the Chicagoland area yesterday and saw neither the 928 or Icon on display. There was a lot of Cortana advertising with a HTC One running Android on display, though. So that was really neat.

None of this is a surprise since it is an old phone that was not going to be available forever.

You're right, it's not a surprise. You know why? Because Verizon has been a bloody awful partner for Microsoft since Windows Phone 7. There are Blackberry's and Android's being sold on Verizon's website that are two years OLDER than the 928, which came out just a year and a half ago.

(and there were obvious problems with the Icon no one around here wants to face)

Do tell... Because i've got an Icon and it runs pretty dang well. It's easily the best and most reliable phone i've ever used.

As to the article on this site alleging they pulled "all Lumias" how did they do that when there was only one; it was past the point they drop devices out; and they have no CDMA Lumia to add at this time?
I am sorry but this is not news - it is a footnote.

Over the last few months Verizon has pulled the 822, the 928, and the Icon. As Verizon has cleared stock, as you've mentioned, they've pulled the phones. Meaning they didn't order more and don't plan on it. When the largest carrier in the US pulls all Microsoft products from their websites, you can bet that Windows Central is going to cover it.

their actual commitment to service was demonstrated a few weeks back.

It was good to see Verizon release Denim to the 822 and the 928. I'll give them that. But they were still the last in the US to deliver Windows Phone 8.1 to any of their Lumias. And they still have not delivered Windows Phone 8.1 to the Nokia Lumia Icon. The only thing that Verizon has demonstrated is their willingness to ignore Windows Phone customers.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
According to this they just ran out of stock
Verizon only ?temporarily sold out? of Lumia devices

From Microsoft:

Yes, this was and is the obvious answer but not as attention grabbing as claiming it is gone or pulled. There is a certain irony though in the reality people would rather decry Verizon's lack of support than recognizing they sold through all of the stock of a Windows Phone. Even the article on this site, which did nothing to retract yesterday's BS headline chose to spin it that it was probably produced in small numbers. Verizon kept the 928 for an extended run, sold through its stock, and just updated it to the latest firmware and yet the choice is to focus on it being "gone" or "pulled" and some supposedly soured relationship between the company and Microsoft. What is wrong with this picture?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Yes, this was and is the obvious answer but not as attention grabbing as claiming it is gone or pulled. There is a certain irony though in the reality people would rather decry Verizon's lack of support than recognizing they sold through all of the stock of a Windows Phone. Even the article on this site, which did nothing to retract yesterday's BS headline chose to spin it that it was probably produced in small numbers. Verizon kept the 928 for an extended run, sold through its stock, and just updated it to the latest firmware and yet the choice is to focus on it being "gone" or "pulled" and some supposedly soured relationship between the company and Microsoft. What is wrong with this picture?

Well the blackberry's such as the Z10 (released Sept 2013) is literally flying of the shelves as seen by the crazy marketshare that blackberry has from the latest kantar figures (as seen in the picture below) /s.

Kantar Blackberry Nov 2014 figures.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss