End of the Road for the Lumia 928?

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
As long as you do a clean upgrade and reset the phone, it will run great.

What is a "clean upgrade?"
For reset, do you mean factory reset or hard reset?
If you mean factory reset, do you do this after every build release?

The first time I updated to W10M I did a factory reset and hard reset. I'm currently on "my" 3rd build (107, 164 and 218) and have hard reset 10+ times. It's still slow and sluggish. It just took me 5 seconds to pull up my wife's contact info that is pinned to my home screen after a reboot. It also took me 10 seconds to bring up my messages.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
What is a "clean upgrade?"
For reset, do you mean factory reset or hard reset?
If you mean factory reset, do you do this after every build release?

The first time I updated to W10M I did a factory reset and hard reset. I'm currently on "my" 3rd build (107, 164 and 218) and have hard reset 10+ times. It's still slow and sluggish. It just took me 5 seconds to pull up my wife's contact info that is pinned to my home screen after a reboot. It also took me 10 seconds to bring up my messages.

What I like to do to ensure good upgrades is while on Windows Phone 8.1, do a factory reset. Then from there, without restoring any backups, upgrade directly to the latest possible build of Windows 10 Mobile. After the upgrade, before restoring any backups, I will once again do another factory reset. From here, you can restore a backup if you wish, although you're better off starting fresh unless you absolutely need those backups which I did in my case.

MoeJ

May 29, 2014
Visit site
What I like to do to ensure good upgrades is while on Windows Phone 8.1, do a factory reset. Then from there, without restoring any backups, upgrade directly to the latest possible build of Windows 10 Mobile. After the upgrade, before restoring any backups, I will once again do another factory reset. From here, you can restore a backup if you wish, although you're better off starting fresh unless you absolutely need those backups which I did in my case.

I did most of that. I did not need anything from WP8.1, so I did not use a backup.
I updated to W10M from WP8.1, then did a factory reset. From then on I just updated W10M builds 107 to 164 to 218. No factory reset since after the W10M update.
Still seems slow and sluggish.
Over the weekend I blew my earpiece speaker... sad :(

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I did most of that. I did not need anything from WP8.1, so I did not use a backup.
I updated to W10M from WP8.1, then did a factory reset. From then on I just updated W10M builds 107 to 164 to 218. No factory reset since after the W10M update.
Still seems slow and sluggish.
Over the weekend I blew my earpiece speaker... sad :(

Ah well that's probably where your poor performance issue is coming from. It's generally recommended that after each update you do a factory reset since Windows 10 updates haven't been doing a good job of cleaning things up from the previous installation. As for the speaker, if you have a protection plan on your phone, you can still get it replaced by Verizon for free. My friend just did that a week ago with his 928 in fact because his battery barely held a charge anymore.

cmattau90

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
I had no problems with W10M on my 928. Occasionally got a "resuming" message. I dropped it and shattered the screen so I finally had to make the change and got a 735. Better battery life and responsive. I miss Glance but use double tap to wake instead. The camera is not as good but I use a real camera (DSLR) for anything other than quick snapshots. Overall I'm happy but would like a more premium device on Verizon for W10M in the future. It looks like until VoLTE is rolled out that may be a problem.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I had no problems with W10M on my 928. Occasionally got a "resuming" message. I dropped it and shattered the screen so I finally had to make the change and got a 735. Better battery life and responsive. I miss Glance but use double tap to wake instead. The camera is not as good but I use a real camera (DSLR) for anything other than quick snapshots. Overall I'm happy but would like a more premium device on Verizon for W10M in the future. It looks like until VoLTE is rolled out that may be a problem.

I've considered the 735, but I really just can't do it. It's too much of a downgrade for me. That's why I ended up going with the Galaxy S6, at least until there's a new premium Windows Phone available for Verizon in the future... hopefully...

Harry Kurakula

May 29, 2016
Visit site
Can 928 still get win 10 preview..? I am on windows 8.1. and when i open the insider it says no builds available (may be as the phone is currently not supported) and there are no options to change the ring

ChanceNC

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
It's possible the plug has finally been pulled on the 928's involvement in Windows 10. I was able to get back on .107 last week via the Release Preview channel, but it's been known for some time that MS was eventually going to stop build availability for unsupported devices.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
Can 928 still get win 10 preview..? I am on windows 8.1. and when i open the insider it says no builds available (may be as the phone is currently not supported) and there are no options to change the ring

You can still get release preview builds, but fast and slow rings are no longer supported. Also, apparently support will be completely discontinued when Redstone hits the release ring. You'll probably have another 1-2 months, maybe 3 months before your 928 will no longer get any more Windows 10 preview builds.

drevdaug

Sep 18, 2016
Visit site
Just FYI to anyone thinking about upgrading to the 735 from the 928, I did it recently. I got the 928 shortly after it's release, even after the verizon rep tried pushing me towards andriod or apple. The 928 was(and still is) an excellent phone, I am so glad that I didn't listen to the people trying to push me towards other devices. My 928 still works great today, with the exception of the battery. I was going to take it apart to put another battery in, but decided I may want to upgrade, and keep my 928 as a back-up.

Recently, I tried to get a 735 from multiple verizon stores, but none of them had these phones in stock, and the sales people advised me against Windows phones. I bought a "new, out of box" phone, and decided to go the slow insider preview path with it. Other than the battery issues that I had with it a few days ago(I believe that is sorted out now), I REALLY like the 735. When the phone is on the charger, and I am working on my computer or tablet, I will get a notification that pops up when it is at 100%, and ready to be unplugged. Also, if I receive a text, it shows up on my computer or tablet, and I can reply directly, without touching the phone. Xbox achievements also pop up on my phone(faster than they pop up on the computer for some reason), which is also pretty cool.

On the down side, I really miss the camera button, and the picture quality is not as good on the 735. There are several apps that do not seem to be available for Windows Phone 10, that I had on my 928(ex: IMDB... I used that app a LOT). The internal memory is less than my 928 had, but the 735 has a microSD slot, which is nice. I also like how the 928 has the back button, windows button, and search at the bottom of the screen. You can get these to pop up on 735 with a swipe, and I am hoping that I will like it once I get used to it.

So basically I was reluctant in upgrading from my beloved 928, but I like a lot of the new features of the 735(and I am sure I missed a bunch of items). So far, I am really happy with my new phone, and glad that I stayed with a Windows device.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss