Who Still Plans on Buying the Icon?

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
We've been through a lot when it comes to the Icon. Release dates have come and gone. Some feel the fact that's it's been delayed has now made this phone "behind" when it comes to specs and what not. The fact that it's taken so long for it to be released has some waiting now for MWC before deciding to get this phone. All kinds of things going on.

My question is simple: who still plans on getting the Icon? Now I don't mean waiting around to see if anything else might be coming out then deciding to get it. What I mean is as soon as its available and as soon as you are able to, you are getting it, whether through upgrading or buying it outright.

I'll start by saying I'll be absolutely picking it up. It's an upgrade to my 928 that I've been waiting for. Some don't like the look but I love it. Some might not believe it, but I think this will be the only high end Windows phone we'll see on Verizon for a while so I'll be all over it. Again just my take.

So now your turn. Picking up the Icon as soon as its available?

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I'll be getting one and likely retire my 928 into my work loaner pool.

Its a great upgrade specwise in pretty much the same package - just a tenth of an inch bigger height and width. Not interested in a phone package that's too much more than that.

Astropin

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Like many I've been waiting to see this phone released for a long time. On the brite side my contract just ended on 01/16 so if it's released soon it really won't have been a long wait for me.

I'm switching over from Android with the introduction of this phone. Verizon pisses me (and a lot of others) off with their antics but I simply can not leave them. They have the only decent coverage in many areas I travel for work.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'll be buying it. Even if they announce other devices at MWC, they won't be for Verizon. And any other devices that might come out for Verizon won't be until late summer, I bet.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Its a great upgrade specwise in pretty much the same package - just a tenth of an inch bigger height and width. Not interested in a phone package that's too much more than that.

Yeah I'm with you. I like the feel of the 928, just wish it has a bigger screen, along with the other upgraded specs. The Icon pretty much hits the spot there.

mrlugo88

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
Verizon pisses me (and a lot of others) off with their antics but I simply can not leave them. They have the only decent coverage in many areas I travel for work.

That's the problem. A lot of people say if you don't like it show it with your wallets. Not that easy. In a lot of areas they have the best service and sometimes it's not even close. So that option goes out the window. For some, like me, tack on unlimited data that I'm grandfathered in and I really won't leave.

Justin Christensen

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Will I buy the Icon? Maybe? It really depends on when it comes out.

My current Android is on its way out (sluggish, glitchy, poor battery life, typical 2 1/2 year old Android stuff), and I'll need a new phone fairly soon. I want to make the jump to WP, I really do, but I can't afford to upgrade my phone more than once every two years so it has to be a good one. I think the Icon will be great, if it comes out. I'd love to have it. So for me its a balancing act between how long my current phone lasts, and how soon the Icon gets released. If my phone dies (or becomes intolerable) before Icon is available, then I'll probably go with a high end Samsung Galaxy-whatever. If the Icon is released before my phone craps out, then I'm going with the Icon. I'm guessing early/mid Feb will be a sort of cut-off point for me.

It really is a tipping point for me though, if I do get a WP (the Icon), it will probably be the transition point for me going all Windows and leaving Google behind. I'd eventually get a Surface Pro to replace my aging laptop and Android tablet to better integrate everything. We'll see though.

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I plan on getting the Icon. Unless Verizon surprises us all by announcing a different phone other than the Icon that's as good or better, which I doubt will happen. So I'll probably get the Icon.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
LOL. This post was mildly amusing to me for a few reasons. Mostly because I can relate, but partially because you stated that you are either going with the Icon to replace your 2.5 year old Android device that is sluggish and glitchy(the poor battery life is to be expected after 2.5 years...) with a WP device, or get another Android device(all of which have shown themselves to be sluggish and glitchy in far less than 2.5 years.)

Not that windows phones are infallible, but they run a helluva lot smoother after 2.5 years than Android. I'm still happy with my 8X and I could certainly find better hardware out there. So yeah. I'd go with the Icon if I were eligible to upgrade if I were you. I get that it depends on if they ever launch the damned thing or not, but I guess I'm just saying its prob worth the wait compared to an S4. Maybe not a 5S though...I'd take one of those right now if someone gave one to me hint hint...but other than that I'd wait for the Icon. Make that android last to the launch.

dreadlion42

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Will I buy the Icon? Maybe? It really depends on when it comes out.

Agreed. If they insist on dragging out the release beyond March/April then you're seriously getting into iPhone 6 release territory. As an old WebOS/Palm Pixi Plus/Pre Plus hand I'm really pulling for Windows Phone/MS/Nokia but it get'd harder with each day this phone goes unreleased....

DustinRyan

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I think for anyone who absolutely wants to use a Windows Phone on Verizon's network, the Icon is an insta-purchase, no matter when it comes out, because it will be all we get on Verizon for a while. But of course if you're considering Android or iOS or switching networks, it definitely adds some complexity to the decision on whether or not to go with the Icon.

I'm one of those who isn't quite ready to leave Verizon (good coverage), and looking to leave iOS for WP. So the Icon fits the bill nicely. But if something weird happens that brings the chance of more Windows Phones to Verizon, it may change my decision. But it's very unlikely, so Icon it is.

David Fleetwood

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting one as soon as it is available and I have time to pick it up. I do not really agree that we have been 'through anything' on this that was not self inflicted. With very few exceptions, Verizon is typically 3-6 months behind AT&T in terms of phones and specs, the Icon was never and has still not been announced, and they have not broken any promises here. Yeah there were lots of rumors followed by leaks, but that is not a VZ marketing strategy, it is exactly that, leaks and rumors.

I know that opinion is not popular here, but I've worked on a lot of highly anticipated products and watched leaks happen and people on forums go nuts about how 'late' we are all the while I knew our internal roadmap never promised the time frame that those following the company expected. There are always considerations that end users really know nothing about.

The Icon will be out soon most likely. It will be several months behind the 1520, but then AT&T's specialty is the latest hardware the quickest it is available. VZ tends to get a slightly more refined product a bit later, but with a much better network. I'm paying for the network, the devices are secondary to me. When the Icon comes out it will be the highest spec WP device on VZ, and that's all I need it to be.

That said, hurry it up already, I'm dying over here! ;)

IdemanEric

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I had 5 lines that I wanted WP on in November. I now have only one. The others were replaced by Android simply because MS/ Nokia/Verizon seem completely inept at executing a roll out that is even remotely intelligent from a marketing perspective. I WILL purchase the Icon if it is available before the end of February. After that, it seems inevitable that Samsung, Apple, HTC and maybe LG will all have flagships that will be at least announced, and possibly confirmed for released, without the ludicrous marketing cluster f*ck that Nokia puts it's customers through. So, count 4 lost WP devices as of now and 1 teetering on the brink for me. Tick tock... There goes your market share.

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
We are located on a college campus with a special educational account with Verizon. We are eligible for new phones every 10 months, so we'd never think of moving off the Verizon network. Most of our group use iPhones and a few androids. One user has a WP. We've really not had issues with any of them other than folks dropping them and smashing the glass.

I'd consider the Icon for myself depending on what else is being offered from the others. By the time it comes out I expect the new samsung phablets to also be announced. Perhaps they may even have a new WP offering.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thedogscar

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I will go play with it the first day it comes out .... but I am going to wait for MWC (Feb 24th), to see if Nokia announces any new phones 'and' Verizon release dates. I have been waiting since early November for the 929. What is another couple weeks going to hurt?

Besides, every rumored phone I have fallen in love with, whose release date got delayed by months ... either was not released as rumored, was buggy, or because of the delay, a much better one came out a month later. Delays are never good, and so far, I have never been disappointed by passing on the delayed model.

dmmontal

May 1, 2013
Visit site
I am a current 928 user who will not be getting the Icon.

For me it's a too little/too late situation. Had it released in November/December as the earlier leaks suggested I would have purchased it, knowing it would last a while until my inevitable next purchase. But at this point with MWC around the corner I can't help but feel like it would be worth waiting for something better this time around. Plus I was taking a vacation earlier this month that I would have loved to have the upgraded camera for, but that ship has sailed, and the 928's camera is more than adequate for day to day use.

The other thing for me is that from the leaked specs, it seems like a fantastic piece of hardware and clearly the best WP on Verizon - however for me any flagship phone MUST have either a 64GB internal memory option (I would gladly pay more for a 64GB model - Verizon/Nokia, PLEASE take my money!), or expandable memory. Seeing as the Icon's specs are all but confirmed and it seems to feature neither of these, this is another reason why for me, I can't justify getting a new phone when it doesn't possess the one upgrade I care most about. So even if there are no new Verizon WP's announced at MWC (which is sadly very likely), I still think it would simply be worth waiting until later this year when the rumor machine starts up again and we see what else may be in the works. Were I on AT&T, I would have purchased the 1520 in a second, despite not wanting the large size, because it is a high-end WP with expandable memory. I even considered switching to AT&T since they clearly get the phones I want, but I just can't justify it (it would mean losing my unlimited data and my corporate discount, which is only with Verizon).

Now if they announce a 64GB Icon variant a month or two after release, I will get it in a heartbeat...

Zippier

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Originally, I was going to buy it sight unseen when it became available. Now, I'm pretty sure I'll check it out in person at a Microsoft store so I can gauge it. Even if I really like it I'm still going to wait until Black comes out for my 928. It's still a great phone and for all I know the Black update may be all I need for now until the next 6-month-late device comes out.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I think I am still planning on it, though I did put my hands on a 1520 last night and OH WOW IT IS GORGEOUS. att sales rep showed me that it slides into a shirt pocket, which was my main worry.

so now I'm tempted to switch. I just hate the idea of not having unlimited data (even though my work pays the bill, so maybe I'm being silly).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers