Newbie Question... 16mp images?

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi there,
I am trying to do a comparison between iPhone 5s and the Lumia 930 but have an issue! How do i get the high-res version of the images off the phone?

I only seem to have the 5mp ones and to be honest they are not as good as the iPhone camera lol. I really want to show off this camera better so any advise would be much appreciated. Once done i will upload the photos i have :D

Cheers guys.

AhmadSorour

May 1, 2014
Visit site
First, Congrats for Lumia 930 :)
Second, idk really know but in my Lumia 820 I get the best of my camera by controlling the Aspect Ratio ... When it is 16:9 it takes 5 mp photos ( that's what one shot app shows ) and when I take photos with 4:3 it takes photos with 8 mp which is the camera of L820, ( also by using OneShot ).
I hope I helped you :)

Quhi

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
You should be able to drag and drop them to your PC, also I've heard that some file managers allow viewing full resolution pictures

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You should be able to drag and drop them to your PC, also I've heard that some file managers allow viewing full resolution pictures

Didnt think of that! Doh!!!

Just connected to my PC and there they are!
WP_20140709_18_19_01_Pro__highres -- 3.45MB
WP_20140709_18_19_01_Pro -- 1.22MB

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest you set it to 5MP + 16MP DNG, and then get yourself lightroom, photoshop or even something free. Just importing them and letting Lightroom set the white balance improves the picture so extremely.. it's really awesome what the camera can da, but it misses the white balance quite a few times..

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I'd suggest you set it to 5MP + 16MP DNG, and then get yourself lightroom, photoshop or even something free. Just importing them and letting Lightroom set the white balance improves the picture so extremely.. it's really awesome what the camera can da, but it misses the white balance quite a few times..

Awesome thanks. I already have lightroom, and photoshop so will do that instead.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Errr, I have a newb question as well. Does that mean if I get a 930, and upload images (best resolution option selected in upload to OneDrive), i will only get 5mp images uploaded? and when I view it in my pictures folder in the phone, will I be viewing the 5mp one or the full resolution one???

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Errr, I have a newb question as well. Does that mean if I get a 930, and upload images (best resolution option selected in upload to OneDrive), i will only get 5mp images uploaded? and when I view it in my pictures folder in the phone, will I be viewing the 5mp one or the full resolution one???

It does seem that way! From what i can see its uploading the 5mp version to OneDrive. Which is a pain cause I brought this for the 20mp camera.

Maybe someone with a 1020 or 1520 could advise.

Glenn De Weerdt

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
When you share the picture (or upload it to OneDrive) it will use the 5 MP version. The 16 MP version is only there to zoom. But there are a few solutions:
- Connect your phone to your pc to transfer the full resolution files.
- Download 'Files' (by Microsoft) and upload the full resolution files from within the app.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Shame it does not use the full advertised 20.7MP camera! Wonder why they chose to do it like this as they are pushing the fact it has the 20MP shooter... kinda false advertising if it does not take full advantage of the full resolution.

wjlim3

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Another newb question,

If I snapped the 20 megapixel photo, when viewing in photo gallery, will it be as sharp as the 20 megapixel photo or will it be the compressed version?

Mizmo

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used the camera much yet but it seems that the 5MP picture gives you the best quality. Especially with landscapes it is a little bit sharper than the fullres version because of oversampling. I resized the 16MP to 5MP to compare but still the same

Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I haven't used the camera much yet but it seems that the 5MP picture gives you the best quality. Especially with landscapes it is a little bit sharper than the fullres version because of oversampling. I resized the 16MP to 5MP to compare but still the same

Sent from my Lumia 930 using Tapatalk

I still wonder what the reasoning behind this is. Other devices just use the camera. I can understand the idea behind it, but seems a little odd.

Master Chaos5

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
Use Nokia Camera app to take 20MP pictures, idk why but it takes full resolution pics when I use Nokia Camera (Or Nokia Camera Beta).
You can view full resolution pictures using an app called 'Zoom' search for it in the Marketplace.
To upload full resolution pictures to OneDrive go to Photos Hub > Settings > Auto Upload > OneDrive > Photos > Best quality (Needs Wi-Fi).
This way you'll be upload 20 MP/38 MP RAW/DNG pics to OneDrive.

Cheers ^_^

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi!
Use Nokia Camera app to take 20MP pictures, idk why but it takes full resolution pics when I use Nokia Camera (Or Nokia Camera Beta).
You can view full resolution pictures using an app called 'Zoom' search for it in the Marketplace.
To upload full resolution pictures to OneDrive go to Photos Hub > Settings > Auto Upload > OneDrive > Photos > Best quality (Needs Wi-Fi).

Cheers ^_^

Thanks this kinda answer my "review" of the camera. I will give all this a try and see how I get on.

thatuxguy

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

Cheers ^_^

Ok i downloaded that app, zoom, yet its showing images taken with the MSFT camera app are 5.3mp?
I can not seem to get 20mp images at all.

Master Chaos5

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Ok i downloaded that app, zoom, yet its showing images taken with the MSFT camera app are 5.3mp?
I can not seem to get 20mp images at all.
Wow this is weird, I always seem to get full res pics. Check your camera setting maybe? Try changing Aspect Ratio to 4:3?
Also try Resetting your Camera by going into Photos > Setting > Reset Camera

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05