Lumia 930 overheating!

PabsTheGeek

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
When I got my 930, during the initial set up the phone did get warm, noticeably warm but not uncomfortable. I have since switch off NFC, as I don't use it, but during extending use of the phone it gets warm but I don't say its hot.

rohit111

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 820 also used to heat up like anything when I first got it last May. I uninstalled a few apps and games but didn't work. Then I realized my network reception 2G and later 3G was poor in house and so I shifted to my bedroom where reception was the strongest . Turned out the better the reception lesser the heating up. I called up Reliance and they did something with the network so now reception is better so the heating has reduced. On WiFi the phone hardly heated up anyways. It does heat up when I play intensive games and all and while charging sometimes. Also I updated to Amber and then to Black and the issue became less severe with every update. I guess some update for the 930 will fix the issue.

SAM 77

Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
820 when I bought it March 13' would heat up something horrible and experience random battery drain as well. These issues disappeared with GDR2 and 3.
Hopefully some fixes come out to take care of the 930 problems people are experiencing.

AdryJay

May 28, 2014
Visit site
Hi all!
My situation a few days ago: very fast battery drain and very hot while in standby. So I turned off SensorCore (+ restart) and no-sense battery drain and hot seems to have been fixed. Now it also become hot, but only when I intense-use it.
Try and let me know.

willboyce

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Battery problem

Hi all.
I purchased my white 930 sim free yesterday. During set up it got very warm. Gets warm if using maps. Web. Gaming and whats app. Not sure this is the norm as the battery dies quick. . My phone came updated out of box by looking at the numbers. So I have no update to do. . I'm a little worried as I've spent ?439.00. Helllllllp lol. Oh yes my battery wouldn't charge past 90%.
Should I get my money back ?????? And go with the lg

Pete The Penguin

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I borrowed my company's thermal imaging camera to conduct a little research; during video playback, the 930 never got above 37 degrees Celsius, yet using BBM or surfing the internet, the temp reached a maximum of 41.32 degrees Celsius.
Modern smartphones run around 40 degrees Celsius, anything above 50 Celsius for more than 5 minutes is excessive. I'd say that if the 930 is burning your hand, that's an issue. Due to the aluminum frame acting as a heatsink, you will feel a little warmth. It could be that the WiFi antenna and SoC are located near the bottom right corner.
It may be an idea to contact MSFT and see what they suggest.

Last edited:

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
I borrowed my company's thermal imaging camera to conduct a little research; during video playback, the 930 never got above 37 degrees Celsius, yet using BBM or surfing the internet, the temp reached a maximum of 41.32 degrees Celsius.
Modern smartphones run around 40 degrees Celsius, anything above 50 Celsius for more than 5 minutes is excessive. I'd say that id the 930 is burning your hand, that's an issue. Due to the aluminum frame acting as a heatsink, you will feel a little warmth. It could be that the WiFi antenna and SoC are located near the bottom right corner.
It may be an idea to contact MSFT and see what they suggest.

Sorry, this is completely off topic, but is no one else appreciating the irony of a guy called Pete The Penguin using thermal imaging technology?

Last edited:

jayblazer

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
My icon was heating up all the time on 8.1 it would kill my battery in about an hour and i was resetting it everyday. about two weeks ago i took Cortona off my screen and stopped closing out all my apps after i used them. So now i have several apps running but my phone no longer heats up. could be a fluke or there could be something to it.. Try it for yourself..

Julius Belarmino

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hot! Hot! Hot!

I have had my Lumia 930 since Friday and unfortunately it's going back to Amazon.fr tomorrow.

Initially during the initial set up & installing apps the handset got very very hot. I would expect it to get warm but not very very hot. I thought maybe it's just a sort of initializing / bedding in period and the heat issue would resolve itself however I am now on day 3 and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the phone even something as simple as web browsing or sending a text the handset will get very very hot making the handset very uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

I have had several phones over the past 24 months and all of them have got warm to some extent but non have got very very hot!!! so it's going back for a refund. If i am totally honest I am also underwhelmed by the camera straight out of the box. I know you can fiddle about using different lenses to improve the quality and zoom but if you are paying ?400 + for a sim free handset I would expect everything to work straight out of the box.

*With this warmth issue with L930. I was able to experience this as well with my other phones when they were recently purchased.

First my 1020, it is terribly hot that you can't even hold the phone, but what I did I return it back to the online shop, but again when I recieve the replacement for two weeks phone is still warmth until I just ignore the hot issue, but now the 1020 is not that warm anymore compared to first usage.

Second my 1520, when I recently purchased it from Nokia Store, it was finee but when I reach home and keep using it like gaming surfing and alot more however, the next day from full battery it runs out quickly in a matter of 5 hours.What I did I return it back to the store and the same thing happen to the replacement but I just ignore the warmness and check the settings for 1 - 2 weeks, and after that everything is fine.

lastly, with my 930 the same thing for first usage, and by the time the phone gets very hot just stop using it, and reuse it again when the phone gets cold enough, tolerating this condition for first few weeks, then everything was fine.

So basically, I conclude that this hot issue ia common to all newly used lumia since their hardware is not yet that used though.

PJLips

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Same here. My 930 gets so hot doing basic stuff! Don't bother trying to play a game because the phone becomes too hot to holdin your hand. It's a shame, as I really love the phone, but if this isn't fixed, I'm returning it.

DineshThiru

Jul 21, 2014
Visit site
My Lumia 930 is overheating while playing music or browsing and it stays hot for a really long time. It takes hours to cool down. I've been using the phone for last 4 days and overall it stays hot even with minimal use. Also, Wordflow is not working. I'm not sure why/how/when it stopped. :sweaty::straight::cry: Firmware is up to date. Planning to go with factory reset and observe.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with my Nokia ICON....(same phone), after I use my phone for 5-10 min, it is almost uncomfortable to hold.

A bug or hardware related problem ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon