Lumia 930 overheating!

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I have had my Lumia 930 since Friday and unfortunately it's going back to Amazon.fr tomorrow.

Initially during the initial set up & installing apps the handset got very very hot. I would expect it to get warm but not very very hot. I thought maybe it's just a sort of initializing / bedding in period and the heat issue would resolve itself however I am now on day 3 and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the phone even something as simple as web browsing or sending a text the handset will get very very hot making the handset very uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

I have had several phones over the past 24 months and all of them have got warm to some extent but non have got very very hot!!! so it's going back for a refund. If i am totally honest I am also underwhelmed by the camera straight out of the box. I know you can fiddle about using different lenses to improve the quality and zoom but if you are paying ?400 + for a sim free handset I would expect everything to work straight out of the box.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had my Lumia 930 since Friday and unfortunately it's going back to Amazon.fr tomorrow.

Initially during the initial set up & installing apps the handset got very very hot. I would expect it to get warm but not very very hot. I thought maybe it's just a sort of initializing / bedding in period and the heat issue would resolve itself however I am now on day 3 and it doesn't matter what I'm doing with the phone even something as simple as web browsing or sending a text the handset will get very very hot making the handset very uncomfortable to hold in the hand.

I have had several phones over the past 24 months and all of them have got warm to some extent but non have got very very hot!!! so it's going back for a refund. If i am totally honest I am also underwhelmed by the camera straight out of the box. I know you can fiddle about using different lenses to improve the quality and zoom but if you are paying ?400 + for a sim free handset I would expect everything to work straight out of the box.
Me too.. It's getting as hot as my 925 with the Wp8.1 DP. I thought that the cyan firmware was going to fix it but no.. The 930 is getting hotter that the 925.. Maybe wpcentral should post an article about it

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Me too.. It's getting as hot as my 925 with the Wp8.1 DP. I thought that the cyan firmware was going to fix it but no.. The 930 is getting hotter that the 925.. Maybe wpcentral should post an article about it

I do understand that handsets will get warm whilst performing some tasks, but for a handset to get very very hot whilst sending a text there has to be a problem. I have got the white version and I am sure if I kept the handset and persevered with it, after a period of time a discoloration would appear on the white polycarbonate due to the heat issue.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
My 950 prior 8.1 DP was not getting that hot.. I thought that cyan was going to fix it. But 930 has the cyan firmware and has the same problem .. So I think this is a wp8.1 issue

Bernhard Koenig

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
even something as simple as web browsing

Actually, browsing the web is one of the most resource intensive standard tasks you can do on your phone besides graphic intense gaming.

Yes, my 930 gets very warm too when surfing or doing any resource intensive tasks, but it really is not "hot" in any sense, it just surprises one that it gets that warm the first few times you notice it, but it never is uncomfortable to hold. I don't think this is an issue, with that potent hardware inside, it's very much expected I'd say ... don't buy high end 2,2 GHz quadcore phones if you're expecting them to not issuing heat.

If i am totally honest I am also underwhelmed by the camera straight out of the box.

This on the other hand is a criticism I understand. I had also expected more from the camera. But given there's no other alternative (the Lumia 1020 would be an obvious choice, but sadly, it does not support wireless charging without an extra cover, which is something I really wanted from my next phone), I'll stick with it. It's a fantastic device and while the camera is not as good as I had hoped, it's still a very good camera even for a high end smartphone.

So the criticism I can state about this device is that it's just not perfect in EVERY detail. But if I wait for a phone like this, I'll very likely wait forever.

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Actually, browsing the web is one of the most resource intensive standard tasks you can do on your phone besides graphic intense gaming.

Yes, my 930 gets very warm too when surfing or doing any resource intensive tasks, but it really is not "hot" in any sense, it just surprises one that it gets that warm the first few times you notice it, but it never is uncomfortable to hold. I don't think this is an issue, with that potent hardware inside, it's very much expected I'd say ... don't buy high end 2,2 GHz quadcore phones if you're expecting them to not issuing heat.

This on the other hand is a criticism I understand. I had also expected more from the camera. But given there's no other alternative (the Lumia 1020 would be an obvious choice, but sadly, it does not support wireless charging without an extra cover, which is something I really wanted from my next phone), I'll stick with it. It's a fantastic device and while the camera is not as good as I had hoped, it's still a very good camera even for a high end smartphone.

So the criticism I can state about this device is that it's just not perfect in EVERY detail. But if I wait for a phone like this, I'll very likely wait forever.

As i said earlier, I do understand that there will be some heat from any high end handset but this is more than a little heat. My 930 gets very very very hot.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
40 +/- Celsius is hot o warm ? Because my 930 gets at last that degree after 30 minutes browsing
And if I use here drive.. After an hour of drive my battery goes down lo 20%

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
40 +/- Celsius is hot o warm ? Because my 930 gets at last that degree after 30 minutes browsing
And if I use here drive.. After an hour of drive my battery goes down lo 20%

Mine gets very very hot within minutes whatever I am doing on the phone.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I do understand that handsets will get warm whilst performing some tasks, but for a handset to get very very hot whilst sending a text there has to be a problem. I have got the white version and I am sure if I kept the handset and persevered with it, after a period of time a discoloration would appear on the white polycarbonate due to the heat issue.

No worries. My 1020 gets so hot its mildly uncomfortable. Like I move my hand position to avoid the hot parts. No white color issues. :D. Surprised the 930 gets this hot, my 1520 only get mildly warm. I wonder if the bigger 1520 has better heat dissipation. (same hardware, is why I mention that.)

Aiwendil Valaraukar

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
Hi.

my lumia 930 get hot too, i reset it to factory settings and didnt update the apps and now lumia is cold as ice all the time?! it must be an app that is cousing lumia get hot, gonna update one app at the time and see if i find app that is cousing lmy lumia go hot.

duncan0622

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I have noticed extreme hot issue as well when I am charging the phone. The heat feels like burning my skin and the battery % either isn't rising or rising slowly.

I tried to reboot the phone and then work fine. However, after several re-charging, the heat issue came back again.

Aiwendil Valaraukar

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
try reset to factory settings an do not update apps, it solved all my problems with battery drain fast and lumia stay cool all the time.

wondering if nokia/microsoft know about this issue, if there is just a problem with an app it must be easy to fix it.

Aiwendil Valaraukar

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
can somebody confirm that my solution is working? just wondering if that was realy the update of apps that couzing that problem with hot phone and battery draing fast, it works for me, and now even when i charging the phone its stay cool.

iosub

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
try reset to factory settings an do not update apps, it solved all my problems with battery drain fast and lumia stay cool all the time.

wondering if nokia/microsoft know about this issue, if there is just a problem with an app it must be easy to fix it.
What apps are you talking about? Nokia systems apps? Like touch, network+ etc ?
Thanks

Aiwendil Valaraukar

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
hi

yes system apps, when i started phone for the first time i get message that i have 34 updates network + nokia mixradio nokia camera nokia care etc..i did update first time, but not second time i didn do that and my nokia r not hot anymore. apps r not up to date byt its better then burning phone. Strange that not everybody have that issue

anon(8648115)

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
This might be an issue with the lumia phones in general, not all of them but the problem persists in the lumia phones I believe. I've owned a 920, 520, and a 925 and all of them, when performing some task would get hot enough where I actually could not hold it comfortably.

In a deal I couldn't pass up on, I got myself a Samsung ATIV S Neo which has almost the same internals as the 920/25 save for the camera, and the thing NEVER gets warm beyond anything i'd consider 'comfortably warm.' My Samsung focus's as well never did, and I experimented with a friend's ATIV S that he imported and it also never really got beyond mildly warm. Meanwhile My Lumia 925 got so hot the back cover actually loosened a bit.

Snapples

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

I have done a factory reset and did not install any additional apps. within 5 minutes the phone started to get very very hot again. Handset is getting picked up Monday morning and being returned for a refund.

Sebbak

Jun 26, 2014
Visit site
The fact that it is monobloc aluminum is a bit of a double edged sword. Yes it acts as a good heatsink, but the downside is that it will transfer heat pretty effectively (hence aluminum based cooking pans etc)

Does sound like an excessive issue though, I can't see it being a problem to return/replace though.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Aiwendil Valaraukar

Jul 13, 2014
Visit site
hmm..mine is still nice an cool, it got a little bit hot when i was dowloading 2000 songs for offline mode from spotify but not as hot as before. Just wondering if is it a hardware fail or software? is it just a small amout of people with those problems? I will update every app when i come back from my vacation if its get hot i gain i will return and hope that another device do not have that problem.

I owned all iphones from the start but i tried wp 8.1 phone i borowed from my friend an i falled in love, i hope that overheating prob will be fixed soon becouse i realy dont want to go back to iphone, apple phones r realy god but i see a future in wp phones. Microsoft/nokia have to do it right this time, they cant afford issues like that, if the skrew up it will sink like titanic.

sorry for my english, getting late....

Last edited:

trwrt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
There must be something running in the background that's preventing the CPU from dropping into low-power states. It's too bad there's not a 'top' equivalent in WP to show what's going on. Or maybe there is and somebody knows how to get to it?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3