Had 920 and loved it ? Don't wait for 935 or 1030, get 930 NOW!

James Edge

Oct 17, 2014
Visit site
Just received a 930 as an upgrade for my 920 on contract, sadly due to the cheapo screen* I'm going to be putting it on eBay and either wait for a 935 or whatever replaces the 1020 or get an 830. The 925 was an update of the 920 that fixed many of it's issues, and as the 930 has it's fair share of issues I fully expect to see a 935/940 in 2015.

*The 930 is a renamed Lumia Icon which was designed by Nokia for Verizon in the US, and as it was designed to a price it features a cheap screen that while bright and high resolution isn't as good as the screens in previous phones hence why it doesn't support Glance (a major feature of Lumias) and why it gets ghosting when scrolling compared to the 920.

hovesteve

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Been a white 920 user from the start and have loved it big time. Haven't got a bad thing to say about it. Upgraded with a heavy heart to an orange 930. WOW, Was worried I would miss my 920, but not at all. Amazing screen, better 8.1 refinements, great battery life. 20MP camera taking appreciably better pictures and videos than my 920. If you loved your 920, get a 930, you would be disappointed. This will keep me going until WP10 comes along..

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
It's more compact (as in a smaller body), surround sound (4 mics), aluminium casing. I'm sure there are some other small things but those reasons are already good enough for me, since the 1520 is already great hardware.

Not sure why people complain so much,
-the hardware itself isn't lacking as it supports the OS really well,
-it's got a camera that most flagships don't,
-it's got an amazing surround sound mic (which other flagships don't),
-screen is of very high res and we can use gloves (most flagships STILL don't have this),
-double tap to wake (most flagships don't have this either),
-wireless charging out of the box (most flagships still don't have this either)
...and it feels great in the hand; pics really don't do this phone justice.

I actually hesitated to get the 930 when I read that it was bulky, just to my surprise it's not bad at all! The design is done in a smart way as the aluminium profile is the same thickness as iPhone 5s with the back slightly sticking out a bit but it definitely doesn't look bulky. Once again, pics really don't do this phone justice.

My only gripe with it, is overheating and that we can't choose the standard (3 column) tiles as an option, I know this is due to the high res, but I love larger tiles, which makes the latter a personal choice.

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Tell me again how does 930 differentiate from 1520, besides form and battery. It came almost 1 year later. It HAS to be better, at least in some way.

It's more compact (as in a smaller body), surround sound (4 mics), aluminium casing. I'm sure there are some other small things but those reasons are already good enough for me, since the 1520 is already great hardware.

Not sure why people complain so much,
-the hardware itself isn't lacking as it supports the OS really well,
-it's got a camera that most flagships don't,
-it's got an amazing surround sound mic (which other flagships don't),
-screen is of very high res and we can use gloves (most flagships STILL don't have this),
-double tap to wake (most flagships don't have this either),
-wireless charging out of the box (most flagships still don't have this either)
...and it feels great in the hand; pics really don't do this phone justice.

I actually hesitated to get the 930 when I read that it was bulky, just to my surprise it's not bad at all! The design is done in a smart way as the aluminium profile is the same thickness as iPhone 5s with the back slightly sticking out a bit but it definitely doesn't look bulky. Once again, pics really don't do this phone justice.

My only gripe with it, is overheating and that we can't choose the standard (3 column) tiles as an option, I know this is due to the high res, but I love larger tiles, which makes the latter a personal choice.

RN50

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't want to get the 930 as its basically a Lumia Icon rebranded and its been out almost a year. Why would I sign up to another 2 year contract and get a phone with last years specs? Yea it runs the OS fine and its all snappy and that but I want the latest specs and new features.

You may specs don't matter but there are thousands of people like me who want the best specs ect.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I used a 930 on AT&T for about a week before I returned the 930 and got an 830.
930 works fine on AT&T with the exception of LTE which it won't get. It does get and run very well on AT&T HSPA+ GSM band(s) and, for me, that's plenty fast.

BTW, the 830 has both Glance and double tap (and a replaceable battery and SD card up to 128G), the replaceable battery and SD card slot is huge for me. I can't tell any difference in speed between the 830 (even though it's HW specs are less) and the 930.
For me, the 830 is much easier to use. The 930 is very thick, heavy and slippery and I had the color bleed problem on the screen and the problem with the phone getting quite hot when using it moderately for chat apps mostly.

:)
Fred

Another thing... Is anyone using the 930 in the US on ATT? I heard that the 930 doesn't support the GSM band that ATT uses for their 4G LTE. Which means you won't get the fastest data speeds. I would like confirmation on this.

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to get the 930 as its basically a Lumia Icon rebranded and its been out almost a year. Why would I sign up to another 2 year contract and get a phone with last years specs? Yea it runs the OS fine and its all snappy and that but I want the latest specs and new features.

You may specs don't matter but there are thousands of people like me who want the best specs ect.

My reply was to DOMINIK DOMINIK, who was wondering what the 930 had better than the 1520.

The rest of my post, is simply to those who are considering upgrading to the 930 from 920, but hesitating due to people naysayers who are focused on the processor rather than the experience, as I've also noticed that some seem to be under the impression that the 830 is a more worthy of a successor to the 920 than the 930, which I wouldn't agree with.

The 930 IS the true successor of the 920; the 920 was already a great phone which still stands its ground today, so the upgrades that were brought with the 930 are definitely more welcome and allow it to be a true successor. The 830 is a true successor to the 820, yes, but definitely not the 920. The only thing the 830 has going for it over the 930, is being slightly slimmer and the SD-Card slot - removable battery isn't considered a hardware upgrade.

To put it simply, if the 930 isn't a successor to the 920, than the iPhone 6 could not be considered a successor to the iPhone 5s. The 920-930 upgrade comes with more advancements than the iPhone 5s-iPhone 6. At the end of the day, what matters is that the hardware works like it should with current trends and if the 920 has managed to pass the test of time, than I'm certain the 930 will too.

coolraoul

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
The 920, when released, was one of the most advanced phones ever. First with an optical image stabilisation making it the best cameraphone at the time, first with wireless charging, first with supersensitive display allowing it to be used with gloves, one of the first with 60Hz for fluid animations... It was then updated to receive Glance and Double Tap, which were unheard of with any other phone than Lumias.

It sure was bulky, heavy, had an old SoC and tended to burn through the battery and overheat, but it was, and still is, one hell of a phone.

The 930 is, by today's standards, unnecessarily heavy and bulky, like the 920 was, but far from as advanced. It is even a regression in many areas. 32gb were impressive 2 years ago, not any more; its camera is excellent but not miles above the competition any more, its has no Glance when Androids are getting it, it far outweights other phones without boasting better battery life...

To me the 930 is not a successor to the 920 by any means, other than marketing. Luckily, my 920 is still rock solid and I won't change it anytime soon.

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The 920, when released, was one of the most advanced phones ever. First with an optical image stabilisation making it the best cameraphone at the time, first with wireless charging, first with supersensitive display allowing it to be used with gloves, one of the first with 60Hz for fluid animations... It was then updated to receive Glance and Double Tap, which were unheard of with any other phone than Lumias.

It sure was bulky, heavy, had an old SoC and tended to burn through the battery and overheat, but it was, and still is, one hell of a phone.

The 930 is, by today's standards, unnecessarily heavy and bulky, like the 920 was, but far from as advanced. It is even a regression in many areas. 32gb were impressive 2 years ago, not any more; its camera is excellent but not miles above the competition any more, its has no Glance when Androids are getting it, it far outweights other phones without boasting better battery life...

To me the 930 is not a successor to the 920 by any means, other than marketing. Luckily, my 920 is still rock solid and I won't change it anytime soon.

I completely understand you but just look at all other device updates being released, they are not leaps and bounds advanced like they were when they were first introduced; they simply improved on what existed and didn't fix what wasn't broken. We've reached a point where there is only so much they can improve on with upgrades. We still have all the features the 920 had and more.

I was actually not going to buy the 930 due to all this negativity I have been reading online but last week I got a call from a local dealer that had a sealed package for $500, this was due to Nokia giving it to an employee who already owned the 1520, so he put it up for sale. At $500 I figured I had nothing to lose by buying it. To my surprise, it wasn't as bulky as it's made out to be especially considering, it's a 5inch device with a better camera, OIS, wireless charging; the profile is as thin as iPhone 5s with a slight hump on the back. If the iPhone 6+ proved anything, it's that thin phones aren't necessary, yes it doesn't need to be THAT thin and it simply could be a little thinner but then we'd need to sacrifice some of the mentioned features (which I personally think are worth the sacrifice), just to be thinner. Yes it's unfortunate glance didn't make the cut, but luckily I tried it out and never used it on my 920 anyways, so it wasn't a deal breaker for me at all.

With the 930, we still have one of the best phone cameras in the market, probably second only to the 1020, we still have image stabilization (which most flagships don't), we still have wireless charging (which most flagships don't), we still have supersensitive display on an HD screen allowing it to be used with gloves (which most flagships don't), we still have double tap (which most flagships don't). What needed to be improved upon was and what didn't need fixing remained.

We do get a much better camera, with a better lens, wireless charger in the box, Motion sensor, slightly thinner design, weighs less, first device to have surround recording, HD screen, capable of 4k recording with Denim, aluminium quality build, much faster processor (though not up to this very day standard, it's still much faster and hey look at the iPhone 6 that even just has 1GB ram; sometimes things don't need to be the most advanced in order to function). On that note, yes I do wish it could have been dust/waterproof and it wouldn't hurt to have 64GB on board or expandable memory but it's definitely an upgrade. If you haven't tried it out yet and love your 920, you definitely would love 930.

Don't get me wrong, I understand you completely because I was on the same boat and even though I was getting it for a great price, I still hesitated but after using it, I'm really glad I did upgrade and these little differences actually make a big difference. At the end of the day, no phone is perfect and each will lack something you wish was included.

If the reasons above are all that's holding you back from

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
I like the "bulkiness" of the 920. The weight feels good and it doesn't feel like a cheap toy in the hand. I am not a fan of ultrathin phones. You need some thickness to have a phone feel comfortable to hold. I prefer phones like this.

anon(5344685)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
OK, so I started this topic and it's been 4 months since i have Lumia 930.
I see lots of people still has not changed their minds.

I will tell you this. GLANCE SUPPORT. Guys you will easily get over this cra** it's not a deal breaker by any means. Yes I loved it too, but didn't have it for months now and do not miss it, especially after how 930 had become so great for me.

I loved 920, but 930 by any means was the right follow up. It works like 920 did but it's faster more future proved, and not fat or bulky, C'mon 920 was really one of the "biggest and heaviest" phones at a time and 930 definitely feels much better. Yes the screen is bigger and even with my big palms it doesn't feel as easy to handle as 920 but it's not a deal breaker either. I you loved 920 you will feel exactly at home. The same stories with screen bugs and some other little issues as with 920 are already fixed with constant updates give by Microsoft. The camera is better than 920 and battery life is the same which is fine. Build quality is fantastic but as it has metal frame, the case is needed (BTW check FUSION Bumper gel case! on ebay). The price went down quicker then with 920 and is now available from ?350/$399 so stop moaning about this being released late because the price adjust that fact!

In Windows Phone world there really isn't a better smartphone (1520 will be too big for 90% of people) and NO there isn't any 1030 or better flagship on the way until Windows 10 comes out) as we know all the WP smartphone gets the whole lines refreshed after new OS is being released (check the story after WP7, WP8 and 8.1).

SO my best advice. Either get 930 or wait till at least June/July 2015 for a Windows 10 Lumia 940 or hopefully finally some kind of Lumia ONE for all the carriers (my dream), but don't think that the next flagship at the time of release will have the best specs in the market, because it never happened in so many years, so my best bet is that it will stay this way, that any next flagship will always have that 900 (or whatever Snapdragon will have by then) and not 901 or so, (which will still be more than "nailing it on Lumia). Otherwise just go with Android if you're this spec creep like many out there, but that's just plain stupid.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Glance may not be big deal for you, but it might be for other users. Pretty much like ffc, flash, big or small screen and most features. 930 is hella phone, but it'd be nicer for me if it had glance support

wasim sallam

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I also have a lumia 920 for almost 2 years.
I was thinking about getting the Lumia 930 when it came out.
I know you can't compare 930 to 920. it's way better with more feature and better design. and i really love it.
Lumia 930 is getting more feature in every upd
but believe me, Glance Screen is something I can't live without.
beside I'm not a hard gamer. so 920 is giving me everything I want in smartphone. and it works just well.
I would take the first flagship with Glance.

abduz

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I like glance a lot, at the same time I love amoled screens.. Hmm. Tough choice

Try turning off Glance for a week and just double tap to see the time or notifications....that should help you make a decision. The HD Amoled screen is simply gorgeous. On that note, I find it odd that MS/Nokia haven't tried to find a work around this, since that's one of the main features that most ppl point out for not upgrading to a 930.

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Yesterday I went from 920 to 930. It is a very good upgrade, especially because the price for 930 is good at the moment. I thought that I would miss glance..but I don't:)

Phone is snappier, camera is way better, the display is gorgeus. And another thing: battery is awesome if I compare it to 920, I thought that it would be the same.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos