Where to buy Nokia Lumia 930 in the USA? LTE vs HSPA+ on AT&T?

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys.

So I currently own a Lumia 920 and am looking to upgrade ... Only two phones that have captured my interest are the Lumia 930 and the Xperia Z3. Sadly, neither is being offered on AT&T at the moment and I'm at a loss of where to get the Lumia 930 (should I end up with it).

I would prefer a reputable vendor that honors returns (I've read about a myriad of hardware issues on this forum, hope I don't get a defective unit), and ships to continental USA.

Also, I hear LTE doesn't work with the Lumia 930 on AT&T, only HSPA+ does. Those of you on AT&T, has this made a big difference? Is there anyway you can get LTE enabled? Perhaps call AT&T to change a setting or something? Or does the Lumia 930 simply lack the hardware to get LTE on AT&T's network?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
So the 930 can't be used on AT&T? Can it be used on Verizon or T-Mobile?

Verizon will not permit any device that lacks Verizon branding to be used on its network. The same applies to Sprint; only Sprint-branded devices are allowed on Sprint's network.

Last edited:

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Verizon will not permit any device that lacks Verizon branding to be used on its network. The same applies to Sprint; only Sprint-branded devices are allowed on Sprint's network.

Hah I think you meant to say "Will not" :)

In any event, any idea where people in the USA are getting their Lumia 930s from? I know Amazon is selling them, but they have a disclaimer about "No Warranty" it makes me wary of buying it. It's my first unlocked phone, so I'm new to the whole bring your own device thing.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Hah I think you meant to say "Will not" :)

In any event, any idea where people in the USA are getting their Lumia 930s from? I know Amazon is selling them, but they have a disclaimer about "No Warranty" it makes me wary of buying it. It's my first unlocked phone, so I'm new to the whole bring your own device thing.
Thanks! I fixed that.

I'm not buying a 930 from anyone. The lack of Glance/qi is a deal-breaker for me.

akin_t

Sep 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks! I fixed that.

I'm not buying a 930 from anyone. The lack of Glance/qi is a deal-breaker for me.

The 930 does have Wireless Charging built in though? Reviews I have read have mentioned it does.

The glance screen is a shame, but I think I can do without. My 920 didn't have it so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The 930 does have Wireless Charging built in though? Reviews I have read have mentioned it does.

The glance screen is a shame, but I think I can do without. My 920 didn't have it so I guess I don't know what I'm missing.

The 920 has Glance, at least if one is running the Preview for Developers.

I don't trust AT&T to keep qi on the 930, just like they didn't keep it on the 1520.

I wouldn't get an unlocked international device even if it had qi, since it wouldn't have LTE on AT&T. I live in an area with AT&T LTE.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I can confirm that everything, except LTE, works on AT&T.
I'm using one on AT&T.
If by Glance you mean showing the date and time on the lock screen, then I can confirm that Glance works on the 930.
For me LTE is no big deal. At work, I don't have LTE coverage anyway and at home I always use my wifi.
When I'm out and about, not at work or home, LTE isn't important to me as I'm not really using the phone for much of anything.
The HSPA+ speeds are fine for me.

:)
Fred

EDIT: I bought mine from "Never-MSRP' on ebay and it's brand new, and arrived perfectly. They have a 30 day return policy.

It can be used on AT&T, it just won't have LTE. For me it's not an issue since I'm on wifi almost anytime I need data. Everything else works perfectly (mms, etc).

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I can confirm that everything, except LTE, works on AT&T.
I'm using one on AT&T.
If by Glance you mean showing the date and time on the lock screen, then I can confirm that Glance works on the 930.
For me LTE is no big deal. At work, I don't have LTE coverage anyway and at home I always use my wifi.
When I'm out and about, not at work or home, LTE isn't important to me as I'm not really using the phone for much of anything.
The HSPA+ speeds are fine for me.

:)
Fred

EDIT: I bought mine from "Never-MSRP' on ebay and it's brand new, and arrived perfectly. They have a 30 day return policy.

I just ordered one from them too! I'm excited for it to show up later this week. As far as LTE goes, I'm on wifi most of the time anyways, and when I'm not I really don't think I'll miss LTE since HSPA+ is easily fast enough here to do anything up to and including streaming HD video.

As far as Qi and Glance, I think the confusion stems from people talking about a supposed ATT variant where they probably would strip that stuff out vs. the unlocked international version that has had nothing stripped out.

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
That's not glance. Glance is when the screen is locked and off and the info shows up if you wave your hand over the front sensor or something. It's basically another lockscreen without having to press the power button to bring up the lockscreen. If you never had a previous windows phone 8 based Lumia you'd never know about it. The 930 does not have this feature.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3