Nokia 930 Vs Iphone 6...... likes and dislikes

stoli67

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
OK after using my 930 for some months now I was a little frustrated with some apps that I love being absent (namely Ewallet, AMEX, sonos) and some being different to the iphone apps (with less features) - The ST George Banking app in Australia for instance.

Anyway I went and bought an Iphone 6 to try.

Things I like about the iphone....
the super slow mo camera on the iphone is awesome ...
The finger print scanner is also great as some websites are now using it for loggin in instead of passwords... the TAB gambling app uses just a finger swipe.

The lasrger capacity of the iphone is good... 128Gb

Things that I like on my 930 that the iphone will not do....
Groups on contacts are still a pain on the iphone (even with the third party A+ app)... to get back into them on the iphone requires some many steps.... easy on the 930.

Pinning a contact to the home page... easy on the 930.

Obviously once you get used to live tiles the iphone just looks boring.

Please microsoft bring out a new windows phone with fingerprint scanning..... and super slow mo video recording.... and either increase the internal memory or have a microSd slot once again.

I will be using my 930 in the future as I just enjoy it more... the wife get the Iphone 6!

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Returned an iPhone 6 after one week as I got bored with it. Bought a lumia 930 unlocked to replace my 925 I've had for a year.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
OP - Cool comparison and pretty level headed based on personal usage. Why wouldn't you want to get a Lumia 830, it is a slight downgrade but at least the SD card issue would be resolved. Hopefully the next Camera update solves the slow mo video issue for you. Then the only thing left is the fingerprint sensor:)

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Finally a thread with a good comparison. Slow mo is not in WP, but there's another app called slowly, which is excellent & similar to slow mo. OP should try it.
Sent from whichever device I happen to be using today.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
Finally a thread with a good comparison. Slow mo is not in WP, but there's another app called slowly, which is excellent & similar to slow mo. OP should try it.
Sent from whichever device I happen to be using today.

While Slowly could serve as an alternative if you just have to have slow-mo, slowly just slows down 30 FPS footage(not as good as the 240 FPS found on iPhone).

Just saying.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
The Nokia Lumia 830 seems to suit your needs.
I had a 930 and returned it.
Some of the common problems, color bleed on the screen, horrible battery life, got very hot if used much.

I have the 830 now and I can't tell any difference in speed, despite having less HW, runs cool, no color bleed, great battery life, replaceable battery, SD card slot to 128G, much lighter (the 930 is very heavy and slippery) and much thinner than the 930.
I like the 830 much better.

:)
Fred

Please microsoft bring out a new windows phone <snip>.... and either increase the internal memory or have a microSd slot once again.

I will be using my 930 in the future as I just enjoy it more... the wife get the Iphone 6!

mazzerooni

Jul 12, 2014
Visit site
I've had my iP6 for a month now …I don't know why..I was weak with an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. I really miss just enjoying my Lumia - I can sell it back to O2 at a hefty loss but I may have to as I find myself getting increasingly frustrated with a device that pretends to be simple but is in fact a very clunky piece of software - WP8 just kills it for ease, looks and functionality - the camera on my old 920 seemed better to me and easier to use - the iPhone took awful snaps of my sons birthday party - memories i can't get back , oh well - you live and learn , so my advice is WP is actually a superior product - don't get sucked back into the hype like I was ..

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
OK after using my 930 for some months now I was a little frustrated with some apps that I love being absent (namely Ewallet, AMEX, sonos) and some being different to the iphone apps (with less features) - The ST George Banking app in Australia for instance.

Anyway I went and bought an Iphone 6 to try.

Things I like about the iphone....
the super slow mo camera on the iphone is awesome ...
The finger print scanner is also great as some websites are now using it for loggin in instead of passwords... the TAB gambling app uses just a finger swipe.

The lasrger capacity of the iphone is good... 128Gb

Things that I like on my 930 that the iphone will not do....
Groups on contacts are still a pain on the iphone (even with the third party A+ app)... to get back into them on the iphone requires some many steps.... easy on the 930.

Pinning a contact to the home page... easy on the 930.

Obviously once you get used to live tiles the iphone just looks boring.

Please microsoft bring out a new windows phone with fingerprint scanning..... and super slow mo video recording.... and either increase the internal memory or have a microSd slot once again.

Well there is an app called slowly that does slow motion and the 830 has an SD card slot so that's 2/3 done. It's so weird how everything apple touches suddenly become a must have thing.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I've had my iP6 for a month now …I don't know why..I was weak with an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket. I really miss just enjoying my Lumia - I can sell it back to O2 at a hefty loss but I may have to as I find myself getting increasingly frustrated with a device that pretends to be simple but is in fact a very clunky piece of software - WP8 just kills it for ease, looks and functionality - the camera on my old 920 seemed better to me and easier to use - the iPhone took awful snaps of my sons birthday party - memories i can't get back , oh well - you live and learn , so my advice is WP is actually a superior product - don't get sucked back into the hype like I was ..

You could always sell the phone seperately on your own, make a nice profit and get a newer WP...

arnark

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
I totally agree with op . I have 930 and love it . But I just can't understand why no sim card slot when 1520/830 has it . Also I would love if 930 could shoot 60fps instead of 30fps for smooth slowmo videos. ps just a noob question any chance that denim could bring it to 60? lol :)

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Well there is an app called slowly that does slow motion and the 830 has an SD card slot so that's 2/3 done. It's so weird how everything apple touches suddenly become a must have thing.

Like someone else stated earlier, the 930 shoots at 30 fps, which makes for awful blurred slow-motion video.

However the snapdragon 800 is totally capable of 60 fps so there's a good chance this feature will make it to the 930 some time in the future. (I'm hoping we'll get it with the next Nokia camera update!)

ChrisZA

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

ewallet exists on WP now

stoli67

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site
Don't think that there is a version for windows phone.... Only Ewallt GO which is a cutdown / different version..... pretty limited version

jakja83

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I too owned an iPhone 6 (64 GB) for a month, but was totally underwhelmed. Camera was ok, but pics had almost a sort of moire effect to them when zoomed in, good outdoors but mediocre indoors. The phone looks good, but is very slippery so a case is a must, at least for me with big hands. And what a disappointment looking at the phone, and then going out of standy mode and seeing the same old boring iOS home screen.

What I loved was having updated apps of all sorts, stability and all-round quality.

In the end I sold it for the same amount I paid and now I have ordered a new Lumia 930 at 1/3 of the price. I don't use many apps other than FB and Instagram. The only apps I really miss are Sonos controller and my local bank.

jakja83

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
Update:
Got the 930 a couple of days ago, preliminary opinion follows:

Cons:
- Just a tad too large. I would like to see a 4.3" version without Qi in a slimmer form factor.
- Some apps are missing, but not a show-stopper anymore.
- Gets hot when used heavily, when I went through 3 turns of updates and 35 app-updates it could almost be used for heating the room. (Slight exaggeration.)
- Screen sort of blurs when scrolling, especially apparent when used in dimly lit, or dark surroundings.

Pros:
- Very premium feeling. Crisp, stunning display.
- Very good camera, blows the iPhone 6 out of the water. The only edge I give to the iP6 is the lack of shutter lag. 930 is a bit more about picture quality than snapping everything around you.
- Very swift response, stable.
- Very good reception and overall sound quality in phone calls. Voices are much more intelligible than on other devices used lately. (Nexus 5/iPhone 6)
- WP OS har matured even further and I have little to complain over, but getting snapchat back (though not important to me) will probably be important to draw more people to the platform.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3