About to jump the iPhone ship for the 930...

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Exciting phone, this Lumina 930. I like the personalization and three-dimensionality of the UI. Not that iOS and Android look and are boing, they're just different.

Questions though: Is there a Lumia 930 update expected anytime soon? This probably being the last "Nokia" Windows Phone, what to expect from Microsoft?

How stable is Windows Phone 8.1?

What you'd be really missing about iOS?

Thanks in advance for inputs!

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Enjoy your 930... just "unlearn" what you had before and dont use WP like a iOS/Android and you be fine.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
The next update is "Denim", Bing around for full feature list. Some things that it brings are:

-"hey Cortana" (Moto X style)
-better camera algorithms
-faster shot to shot time
-4k video recording
-rich capture (hdr style and it takes it a step further by allowing you to change flash after the fact)
Plus alot more.

WP has been an extremely stable OS for me, there have been hiccups and something's along the way up to 8.1 update but all of my problems were ironed out.

Enjoy your phone!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Exciting phone, this Lumina 930. I like the personalization and three-dimensionality of the UI. Not that iOS and Android look and are boing, they're just different.

Questions though: Is there a Lumia 930 update expected anytime soon? This probably being the last "Nokia" Windows Phone, what to expect from Microsoft?

How stable is Windows Phone 8.1?

What you'd be really missing about iOS?

Thanks in advance for inputs!

Updates are expected, but nothing like the quantity and frequency of desktop Windows.

You can expect another update or two, and in the likely scenario we get Windows 10, you'll be probably near the top of the priority list.

Windows Phone 8.0 and 8.1 are the most stable OSes to treat me yet on a phone.
DISCLAIMER: I haven't handled a high end Android as my daily driver however.

You'd miss the obvious iCloud and tight Apple integration and some of the apps. Whether it matters depends on the user.
I miss, yet not miss iTunes. (Tolerate/Hate relationship with it)
Nothing off the top of my head.

Joe Dubya

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
I switched from iPhone 20 months ago, OS stability excellent until memory got low (is 31 out of the 32GB), removed some old pictures and fine. Developer preview a little more glitchy, but you don't need to be a guinea pig like me. Two years ago apps were missing, now most of what you need is there, quality and frequency of update sometimes a problem. Honestly for the rare issue(i.e. my bank) I just pin the mobile site to my start and it is just like having an app. Just got my second windows phone (830, 920 previously), WP 8.1 "denim", beautiful, would never go back.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
If you're a frequent Facebook user on the go, think twice. My wife loves her Lumia for most things, but the lack of a on-par Facebook app drives her a little mad at times. I can just about live with just using the mobile website, but it's definitely not ideal.

Other things you will miss:
  • small apps. I live in Hong Kong and lived in Belgium before. Very very few local companies make an effort to develop for WP if there is a small user base.
  • Like the Facebook app, most of the big apps are at least a few upgrades behind iOS/Android in terms of features

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
If you're a frequent Facebook user on the go, think twice. My wife loves her Lumia for most things, but the lack of a on-par Facebook app drives her a little mad at times. I can just about live with just using the mobile website, but it's definitely not ideal.

Other things you will miss:
  • small apps. I live in Hong Kong and lived in Belgium before. Very very few local companies make an effort to develop for WP if there is a small user base.
  • Like the Facebook app, most of the big apps are at least a few upgrades behind iOS/Android in terms of features

I barely use facebook but when I use it the app seems like a nice app...
Serious question: What's wrong with the fb app?

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
930 owner here and I can say that my phone always gets a long second look ! some iPhone owners can't get over the screen contour curve glass and ask is it a screen protecter . the Floating live tiles is another asked about feature also. windows 8.1 is rock solid stable and cortana rocks for being less than a year old ! can't really help with you IOS, but I would say its missing apps (only owned iPhone 3s for a few months) there is another update planned to be pushed out soon for 8.1 called denim and the 930 will get all of the update were lower specs phones will not get all the features that the 930 will get..

Last edited:

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I barely use facebook but when I use it the app seems like a nice app...

While the main Functionality is there the Facebook App on Windows Phone just feels dated in its design compared to Android/iOS. Using it feels using a old feature phone version with cramped tiny images and not all content loads.

For Example, if a friend posts images, on the Android version it fills the app screen horizontally which you can then slide across the album, allowing for a nice modern browsing experience. On WP however a tiny bunch of the same images just get cramped together and on my Lumia 630 they then look particularly low res. Also other problems I've found like not being able to post 'feelings', not being able to check when my friend list was last online and no quick link icon to Messenger (which is actually more like the iOS/Android versions). Other slight issues is the App notifying me someone has uploaded a picture, but on loading the App its forgotten which one and also I sometimes see "Friend X likes a Story" with no link or image to what story it is.

I now use the People Hub to simply read my newsfeed because it looks much nicer. An option however is to use the Facebook BETA option which the latest update advertises a new improved design. An advantage we seem to have over Android is less adverts and video ads on Facebook though which is a bonus.

UPDATE EDIT: Just tried Facebook BETA and it looks the same as the standard app so no point downloading it. It does include a facebook lock screen image option though I prefer the Twitter lock screen with its random stories which I find useful for when I check the time.

Last edited:

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
930 owner here and I can say that my phone always gets a long second look ! some iPhone owners can't get over the screen contour curve glass and ask is it a screen protecter . the Floating live tiles is another asked about feature also. windows 8.1 is rock solid stable and cortana rocks for being less than a year old ! can't really help with you IOS, but I would say its missing apps (only owned iPhone 3s for a few months) there is another update planned to be pushed out soon for 8.1 called denim and the 930 will get all of the update were lower specs phones will not..

All Lumia phones on Windows Phone 8 will get Lumia Denim. Please do not quote information that is untrue to new users. The only difference is that the 930 along with newer Lumia phones on Snapdragon 800 processors benefits the most customizations from the Lumia Denim firmware upgrade.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
All Lumia phones on Windows Phone 8 will get Lumia Denim. Please do not quote information that is untrue to new users. The only difference is that the 930 along with newer Lumia phones on Snapdragon 800 processors benefits the most customizations from the Lumia Denim firmware upgrade.
Unless you have Verizon or T-Mobile here in the United States i.e. Nokia Lumia 810.

panmoria

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the answers so far, encouraging!

Gave the phone another test-try today - definitely not a device for one-handed use. Or simply a question of getting used to?

But then again, the new iPhone's about exactly the same size...

So... any Lumia 930 one-handers?

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the answers so far, encouraging!

Gave the phone another test-try today - definitely not a device for one-handed use. Or simply a question of getting used to?

But then again, the new iPhone's about exactly the same size...

So... any Lumia 930 one-handers?

I manage to hold the 930 one-handed quite well but I think anything beyond 5 inches will be too big for me.

I would also recommend the 930 over the Iphone and I had nothing but Iphones before I switched to WP.

I was hooked the very first time I saw the concept of live tiles on the home screen running on the Lumia 920 and I knew it would be my next phone. Now, using the 930, I couldn't be happier.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
What part of "930 will get ALL the update were lower spec phones will not " don't you get !! ME BAD... but I have added to the above now..

dropboxes

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I manage to hold the 930 one-handed quite well but I think anything beyond 5 inches will be too big for me.

I would also recommend the 930 over the Iphone and I had nothing but Iphones before I switched to WP.

I was hooked the very first time I saw the concept of live tiles on the home screen running on the Lumia 920 and I knew it would be my next phone. Now, using the 930, I couldn't be happier.

Same here, I came from iPhone 4S and 5 and now a Lumia 930 since a week ago. I can?t be happier with it.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site

Have you tried to share a photo on FB to another friend or even share it to a group? You have to save it to your phone first and then manually share it to them. Cumbersome. As for sharing non-photos, you can only set the visibility. Forget tagging it when you share it.

My biggest complaint is that it should be the same experience across the platforms. The problem is that FB didn't write the FB app. Microsoft did.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Never had a iPhone, but the UX looks like it has not changed much since its introduction.

I like my 930. Running DP, so need to accept some issues here and there to be able to be "bleeding edge". I like the curved glass (using it with the official cover though). Don't like that the screen does not light up when I open the cover.

The OS is rock solid. Photos are OK, but speed and feature set of camera app should be improved and apparently will be with the next firmware.

I got mine for only €299 from BASE in Germany and could not be happier. No heating issues.

Note that because of the screen tech used, the screen tends to look purple-ish when dimmed.

Overall an excellent phone that will get you through 2 days.

Kevin Hill2

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I love my L920 and I really like the Windows 8.1 update on the phone, But and this is a big but, there is no local app's for windows phones all the big boys are there but when it comes to the local stuff like your bank or your local paper or just about anything local that has app's for Android or Apple chances are there is no Windows app. That is the big draw back about Windows phone's, and Windows phone is the last to get anything new, even from Microsoft they update their app's for Android and Apple before they do for their own phone's. Don't get me wrong I would choose a Windows phone over the others hands down they just work better, and I do really love Cortana and Windows phone has the best Key board. Choose wisely and if you do get your 930 I hope you enjoy it ever bit as much as I do my 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3