Which one is better the Nokia Lumia 930 vs LG Nexus 5?

Georakos Geor

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 930 vs LG Nexus 5

Hey Everyone! I am in a Deadlock!!!! I have just paid from my work and i want to buy a smartphone! I own a Lumia 625 and i am really happy with this but want a better smartphone. So i'm between Nokia Lumia 930 and LG Nexus 5. I would like to hear your opinion about which smartphone is better and why! :grin:

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 930 vs LG Nexus 5

You may want to cross-post this on the Android Central forums, too, just to let them give a piece of their minds~

A lot of people here would recommend the 930, for obvious reasons, but I'd like to ask you what features you'd prioritize in a phone first.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

I have (or had) both. The 930 I sent back because of the problems that seem common to it.
I have a 830 now and love it
The 930 is larger, heavy, thick and very slippery. The 830 is much thinner, less weight and no where near as slippery, plus it has the SD card slot and replaceable batter.
Now, the Nexus 5. I sold it a while ago (have too many phones and kept an S4).
It's a great phone. Thin, about the same thickness as the 830, not slippery at all, somewhat rubberized back, and easier to hold than either the 930 or the 830 (I also have a 635 and it's very easy to hold :) ).
The N5 is very fast because it runs pure Android, no other interface on top of it, and it has all the Android "features" as expected. It's a great phone and, in ways better than the S4 I think.
Downsides (to me), no SD card slot, no removable battery, however it you're comparing to the 930 then it's on equal ground with it, as the 930 is the same way.

Fred

Georakos Geor

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

The features I want from my smartphone is to be fast and to easy to hold! I think that it is very important to be held well. Fred I say that you are right but I would like yo buy a smartphone from the "mom" company! I mean nexus made from google that makes the android and Lumia 930 made from Microsoft that makes windows Lumia. This is my only standard. The interesting thing that hold me to windows phone is Cortana!!! I Love her😋 . But android have more apps in store. Which one should I choose? Applications or Cortana?

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

There's no way to compare Nexus 5 with 930 IMHO.

930 have a much better and solid finishing. A MUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCH better camera, much better battery life, much better screen and etc etc etc.

It's way better in all aspects.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

The features I want from my smartphone is to be fast and to easy to hold! I think that it is very important to be held well. Fred I say that you are right but I would like yo buy a smartphone from the "mom" company! I mean nexus made from google that makes the android and Lumia 930 made from Microsoft that makes windows Lumia. This is my only standard. The interesting thing that hold me to windows phone is Cortana!!! I Love her�� . But android have more apps in store. Which one should I choose? Applications or Cortana?

Only you can decide it. But if if you want a Android smart comparable with 930, Nexus 5 is NOT the right choice.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site

Windows phones certainly have less apps than Android, however the Windows phone has all the apps that I use, however many of them are not as "complete" as their Android counter parts.
Games (which I don't play) is probably the major weak point (lack of) of Windows apps.
Holdability (is that a word haha), is certainly better with the N5 (and the 830).
I found the 930 difficult, heavy, thick, slippery.

:)
Fred

The features I want from my smartphone is to be fast and to easy to hold! I think that it is very important to be held well. Fred I say that you are right but I would like yo buy a smartphone from the "mom" company! I mean nexus made from google that makes the android and Lumia 930 made from Microsoft that makes windows Lumia. This is my only standard. The interesting thing that hold me to windows phone is Cortana!!! I Love her�� . But android have more apps in store. Which one should I choose? Applications or Cortana?

Georakos Geor

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

So which are the reason you guys prefer windows phone from android? And Rodrigo which android phone can I compare with Lumia 930? 😊

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

If you don't like Android's UI, or if you want to avoid Google, get the 930. The advantages of the 930 end there in my opinion. The Nexus 5 will easily beat the 930 in capability, and at least match it in performance.

Sent from whatever device I happen to be using today using Tapatalk

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

So which are the reason you guys prefer windows phone from android? And Rodrigo which android phone can I compare with Lumia 930? ��

HTC One or Sony Z3. Only these two.

Nexus have a bad camera (930/1520 have the very best after 808), the finish doesn't get even close to the prime finish of 930 (or HTC and Z3), Nexus battery life is just pathetic, screen quality is not that good and much more.

Don't get me wrong. Nexus 5 is a good device, but there's no way to make this a fair comparation. Nexus 5 is worst in everything!

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

I agree. I've had the Nexus 5, and its the worst Nexus ever. It looks like a child's toy, and the camera is very bad. And I still have my Nexus 4, the best Nexus to date.

But comparisons to the 930, which I had for a few months, would be the LG G3, Z3, or the One.

Georakos Geor

Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

The only phone i like from what you said is LG G3. But it is not from the "mom" company as i said at my previous answers . Any Nexus that can be compared with Lumia 930 ? Is there? I mean maybe nexus 4 is better than Nexus 5?

Felix Bank

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site

The only phone i like from what you said is LG G3. But it is not from the "mom" company as i said at my previous answers . Any Nexus that can be compared with Lumia 930 ? Is there? I mean maybe nexus 4 is better than Nexus 5?

Spec wise the Nexus 4 simply isn't up there with the 930. The only Nexus comparable to the 930 would be the Nexus 5.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I agree. I've had the Nexus 5, and its the worst Nexus ever. It looks like a child's toy, and the camera is very bad. And I still have my Nexus 4, the best Nexus to date.

But comparisons to the 930, which I had for a few months, would be the LG G3, Z3, or the One.

Exactly, child's toy is perfect!

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

First you need to decide if you want a Android or a Windows, my friend. There are two VERY different words with different proposals.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site

TBH, the nexus 5 is a:
very cute device - until you drop it.
very fast device - until you get an update.
very good camera - until you transfer the photos to your computer.
very cheap device - until you realize it only lasts a year.

If i were in your position, i would pay an extra $100 and go for 930, or wait for nexus 6 and see how that comes out.

But I am not in you position, i already have a 930 :D

update: oh and i forgot one thing, there is no "mom" company when it comes to android (somewhat Motorola is), but the nexus is an LG after all, as their is some Samsung/ LG phones with pure android. that doesn't make it from the "mom" company.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

So which are the reason you guys prefer windows phone from android?
I was a long-time user of Android, from Froyo to Jelly Bean. Why I switched away from android:
  • Every new Android OS was supposed to cure the UI jitters, bugs, and latency. None did it. After 8-10 months it was back to square one with bad performance.
  • Android is a UI mess. Any given feature or app is inconsistent with it's look to the core Android experience. It is as if nobody who develops for Android can decide what the UI or menus should look like
  • google and their privacy issue. Sorry, I don't advertise for free. Stop data mining my phone! Did they settle their privacy blunder with Germany yet?
  • Security. When the first thing you should download from google play is Outlook security, it's bad.
  • Force feeding their services on users. I thought MS was bad, but users now can't look left or right before being forced to log into their G+ account. And now how convenient that google now makes you log into your YouTube account to watch more mature content or trailers.

Android has some advantages over WP, but none of which I care about anymore. I'm glad to be android free.

Waylon Payne

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
You need to determine which platform suits you best.

Android: Most customizability but comes at the expense of ongoing maintenance and tinkering to work well (many people like this).

Windows phone: Generally low maintenance with the most unique UI but has the smallest app ecosystem (you'll probably find what you need but apps don't get updated as fast)

For me the choices are between IOS and WP, with the former having the best ecosystem but a boring UI and the latter having a small ecosystem and a fresh UI.

Couldn't be bothered with android, spend enough time troubleshooting other peoples servers everyday, my phone should just work.

weetigo

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Owning both, I find the 930 has better text entry with Word Flow, better camera (much better), and better design (have the orange one). The N5 has better customizability, better ergonomics, better grip. I also find the 930 has better sound on calls, and I have been told I sound clearer. Also consider that the n5 is pure stock and gets Android updates first; it has a larger ecosystem, but if you live in a Microsoft world, the 930, for Google apps, N5.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett