Can I run the 930 on AT&T?

anon(5383410)

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Verizon's service is awful near my home, switched from Icon to HTC one hoping that would fix it, no dice.

I keep trying to restrain myself from leaving the platform because i love it but I still want a high end device (ie.not an 830).

I know I can get a 930 unlocked but when I ask if it'll "work" on at&t I mean will it operate at full capacity. I ask because I remember using a dell venue pro back in the WP7 days and when I broke it I bought one that was designed for the at&t band
performance was noticeably slower.

So has anyone used a 930 on at&t and how well does it perform? Help me stop myself from becoming an Apple drone. I may even consider a 1020 since I hear they can be had for cheap now.

spampy2

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Typing on an unlocked 930 on ATT right now. I bought it off amazon and popped my sim in and everything works perfectly. The only thing you will not get is LTE as the bands are not in the phone. You will get H+ speeds and to be honest its as fast as LTE. I use internet sharing all the time and works perfectly as well so to me the speeds are just fine. I would say go for it as I've been using Windows phone since WP7 and have owned Lumia 800, 900, 920, 1020, 925, Samsung Focus and this is the best window's phone I've owned hands down

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
As spampy2 said.
Don't be too quick to discount the 830. I had both, side by side and sent the 930 back after about a week.
The 830 is much thinner, much lighter, much easier to hold (the 930 is very slippery), has a replaceable battery and SD card slot (to 128G).
Same for the 1020, which I also tried and sent back, even worse to hold than the 930 IMHO.
The 930 had horrible battery life and got pretty hot under moderate use and had the color bleed problem that many here are seeing.
Even though the HW specs are less on the 830, I could tell no difference at all in speed.
Works fine on AT&T (all 3 of the phones did), simply pop the SIM card in and it was good to go.
As mentioned, you will not get LTE, however the HSPA+ (shows as H+) is pretty quick, plenty fine for me.

:)
Fred

Verizon's service is awful near my home, switched from Icon to HTC one hoping that would fix it, no dice.

I keep trying to restrain myself from leaving the platform because i love it but I still want a high end device (ie.not an 830).

I know I can get a 930 unlocked but when I ask if it'll "work" on at&t I mean will it operate at full capacity. I ask because I remember using a dell venue pro back in the WP7 days and when I broke it I bought one that was designed for the at&t band
performance was noticeably slower.

So has anyone used a 930 on at&t and how well does it perform? Help me stop myself from becoming an Apple drone. I may even consider a 1020 since I hear they can be had for cheap now.

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
So, assuming that HSPA/H+ performance is adequate for my typical usage, which it seems to be on my 900 in my area... are there any concerns about HSPA support from AT&T a couple of years down the road?

It would be a disappointment to commit to the 930 and then find the "legacy" data support (i.e. HSPA) disappearing from the network, as LTE becomes pervasive.

I don't know the mobile landscape enough to know, maybe this is a non-issue? Anyone knowledgeable to comment?

EddyKilowatt

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Not to hijack the thread, but I found this graphic that seems to suggest that the "generations" have a lifespan of a couple decades, and that 3G usage hasn't even peaked yet. (Not sure which market(s) are being depicted though.)

And since a decade is several mobile-device lifetimes, disappearance of 3G in the next few years doesn't seem like it'll be an issue. Though who knows, the way Lumia support goes, AT&T will probably ship all their 3G site hardware to growth markets in Africa, the usage graph will continue its merry growth curve, and... the 930's data service in North America will become as dead as my 900's Skype app is now. (Just kidding...)

old-school-3g-2-600x350.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3