OIS moving when phone is still

herho

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
It moves down a mm or two. Seems like it has problems focusing. I'm not that impressed by the image quality.... Is the "movement" normal? Also. The OIS feels VERY soft and hard to "point". Like when looking through a gun scope and trying to catch the breath at the same time. 😁

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
It moves down a mm or two. Seems like it has problems focusing. I'm not that impressed by the image quality.... Is the "movement" normal? Also. The OIS feels VERY soft and hard to "point". Like when looking through a gun scope and trying to catch the breath at the same time. ��

What phone are you using, and what camera app? And are you using the shutter icon on the screen instead of the dedicated camera button on the side?

OIS activation depends on the camera app. For example, in Nokia Camera, OIS is activated as soon as the dedicated camera button is half-pressed but is deactivated as soon as the button is released. For ProShot, OIS is activated when the camera button is half-pressed but remains activated even when you release the button. In both cases, the OIS remains activated when the camera button is pressed fully.

OIS activation also depends on whether you use the dedicated camera button or the on-screen shutter icon. The OIS may not have enough time to compensate for camera movement and auto focus at the same time when you use the on-screen icon. But with the dedicated camera button, you can allow the OIS to kick in by half-pressing the button first (usually less than a second, or a second at most) before fully pressing it. You can even observe the compensation it makes by tilting the phone a bit while keeping the button half-pressed.

Hope this helps.

herho

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm using a 930 and Nokia camera beta. Coming from 920.

I'm gonna experiment some more and maybe throw up a short video.

Didn't I post this in the 930 section? I'm not very familiar with the App 😆

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the detailed info. I'm using a 930 and Nokia camera beta. Coming from 920.

I'm gonna experiment some more and maybe throw up a short video.

Didn't I post this in the 930 section? I'm not very familiar with the App ��

Right. It was only a few moments after submitting my reply that I noticed that you posted in the L930 section.:cool:
Looking forward to the video sample, though if I may suggest you might get better results with the Nokia Camera instead of the Nokia Camera Beta.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
That's normal. This is actually on the 1520 and Icon as well, people just don't notice it due to the very subtle adjustments.
It's the ball bearings on the camera module that adjusts the position of the camera according to the gyroscope sensor.
The Lumia 920 does not have ball bearings for OIS, it uses motorized springs.

So do not worry about it, it won't really affect your day-to-day photos. Don't send them in to Nokia Care, they usually do not know the deep tech specs that people are usually mistaken with, and if you do, they'll do their job and replace whatever unit you tell them that seem to be faulty, and you won't have a phone for at least a week or two, and you'll have the thought of "my phone's been opened and tampered with, maybe they did something else with my phone that they're not telling me".

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Oh snap. I need to do a few more posts before I can post a link ��

The half to press works the same way as the on screen? But can it be that the ois stops after like 5 seconds, because the picture isnt taken?

Anyway. I will be back after browsing the forum a bit ��

Edit: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...707&authkey=!AEg0cXlt7cOP_QE&ithint=video,mp4

Hope it works!

Thanks for this video, the details are now clear. Based on the video, the half press works the same as when tapping manually on the screen (for focus, not the shutter).

It's not a focusing problem since the camera does not lose focus on the area you tapped on. Also, the movement is lateral, hence it is indeed the OIS. It does seem to release the hold on the lens after five seconds that's why the image drops a bit*, but then it slowly returns back to its initial position right after it drops. So the OIS does not stop after some time - it simply adjusts itself after five seconds. I'm not sure why that happens - it never happened to my L1020, not a single movement as long as my phone is still, both for the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera BETA.

*- A "bit", but that amount of movement would definitely blur out your photos when the photo is taken right at the moment when the OIS adjusts. But given that the OIS "adjusts" five seconds after focus has been established and that the longest exposure time the Nokia Camera can do is four seconds, as long as you take the photo within a second after focus has been established you should have no problems.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
What phone are you using, and what camera app? And are you using the shutter icon on the screen instead of the dedicated camera button on the side?

OIS activation depends on the camera app. For example, in Nokia Camera, OIS is activated as soon as the dedicated camera button is half-pressed but is deactivated as soon as the button is released. For ProShot, OIS is activated when the camera button is half-pressed but remains activated even when you release the button. In both cases, the OIS remains activated when the camera button is pressed fully.

OIS activation also depends on whether you use the dedicated camera button or the on-screen shutter icon. The OIS may not have enough time to compensate for camera movement and auto focus at the same time when you use the on-screen icon. But with the dedicated camera button, you can allow the OIS to kick in by half-pressing the button first (usually less than a second, or a second at most) before fully pressing it. You can even observe the compensation it makes by tilting the phone a bit while keeping the button half-pressed.

Hope this helps.

Nice explanation!

Did you know if 930's OIS is a hardware device or software implementation?

I have the impression that 920/25 OIS is better than 930, although 930 still very good.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for this video, the details are now clear. Based on the video, the half press works the same as when tapping manually on the screen (for focus, not the shutter).

It's not a focusing problem since the camera does not lose focus on the area you tapped on. Also, the movement is lateral, hence it is indeed the OIS. It does seem to release the hold on the lens after five seconds that's why the image drops a bit*, but then it slowly returns back to its initial position right after it drops. So the OIS does not stop after some time - it simply adjusts itself after five seconds. I'm not sure why that happens - it never happened to my L1020, not a single movement as long as my phone is still, both for the Nokia Camera and Nokia Camera BETA.

*- A "bit", but that amount of movement would definitely blur out your photos when the photo is taken right at the moment when the OIS adjusts. But given that the OIS "adjusts" five seconds after focus has been established and that the longest exposure time the Nokia Camera can do is four seconds, as long as you take the photo within a second after focus has been established you should have no problems.

After take a shot, the image is very still no matter what. The OIS adjustments don't happens after you click to take a picture.

I think OIS works fine on Lumia 930, but it's not effective like Lumia 920 or 925. At least in my experience.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Nice explanation!

Did you know if 930's OIS is a hardware device or software implementation?

I have the impression that 920/25 OIS is better than 930, although 930 still very good.

I am not sure, but based on my observations for my L1020 (assuming that the implementation is the same for the L930) I think it is firmware-implemented. Since firmware is software* embedded into the hardware, then it is software-implemented. The hardware may be there, but without the firmware, it won't run.:cool:

*- Not all software are embedded into the hardware, such as downloaded apps.

After take a shot, the image is very still no matter what. The OIS adjustments don't happens after you click to take a picture.

I think OIS works fine on Lumia 930, but it's not effective like Lumia 920 or 925. At least in my experience.

You're right that the OIS does not move after a shot is taken, but it can always move after focus has been established - as in the video which herho uploaded. Also, the OIS can be moving at the moment a shot is taken, but it would stop immediately after.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon