Why are my Lumia 930 photo sizes showing up considerably smaller then they should?

davidewart

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Lumia 930 Photo Size

Just reviewing my first set of Lumia 930 photos taken using the Nokia Camera app. (OS and firmware had been updated to Cyan and 8.1 Update.)

First puzzle is that even though the capture setting is to (5MP + 16MP) the actual sizes as shown when I transfer them to my desktop PC vary between 1.5 and 2.0MP for the smaller file, and a bit less than 5MP for the hi-res.

Is there some other setting I am missing? Or?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia 930 Photo Size

Just reviewing my first set of Lumia 930 photos taken using the Nokia Camera app. (OS and firmware had been updated to Cyan and 8.1 Update.)

First puzzle is that even though the capture setting is to (5MP + 16MP) the actual sizes as shown when I transfer them to my desktop PC vary between 1.5 and 2.0MP for the smaller file, and a bit less than 5MP for the hi-res.

Is there some other setting I am missing? Or?

I think you meant that when looking at the photos in your desktop the lower resolution photos are 1.5-2.0 MB in file size, and the higher resolution photos are slightly less than 5.0 MB in file size. There is a difference between image file size and image resolution.

File size is expressed in Bytes (with an appropriate prefix, e.g. KB for kiloBytes, MB for megaBytes, GB for gigaBytes, etc.). Image resolution, on the other hand, is expressed in Pixels, usually in MP (megaPixels). For example, checkout the Properties of any lower resolution image from your L930 in your desktop and you will see that under "Details Tab" you will see a value for dimensions (e.g. 3072 x 1728 for 16:9 ratio) in pixels, which if you multiply gives you 5,308,416 pixels or 5.3 megapixels (MP). At the same time, under the General Tab you will see the value for size to be something like "1.54MB (1,624,668 bytes)". Do the same for any higher resolution image and you will see that they are in fact around 16MP in resolution and 5MB in file size.

Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb