Why Lumia devices always have compass calibration issue ?

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Earlier it was with my Lumia 920, now with my brand new Lumia 930, whenever I open compass, most if the time it shows ca liberation issue and ask me to make an '8'. Even after that it doesn't display the direction correctly, compared to the accuracy of iPhones and my iPad air. Is it a software issue?

SteveSAPA

May 12, 2014
Visit site
I have never been able to use HERE maps because of this. It always asks me to do the '8' but everytime I try it won't work. Very stupid. I never had any problem with my iphone. HERE drive works fine though.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I never faced issues with HERE maps except for couple of occasions when it freezes and didn't update my location in the old 920. I believe in 930 with double cores and double the ram with faster CPU here maps and drive should work. But this compass issues should not be there

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I never faced issue with HERE maps or HERE Drive. The issue is with these 3rd party compass applications, where it most of the times show calibration issue and ask me to form an '8'. When it works, the direction doesn't look accurate, when compared to accuracy of iPhone. In fact the calibration procedure of Lumia phone looks complicated and most of the times doesn't work. Calibration procedure of iPhone is amazing, where it simply starts filling the ring.

After reading numerous posts in this thread, I realized that I always keep my navigation off, in order to save the battery. Does the navigation has to be on, for the compass to work? Does calibration issue arise because of navigation?

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine does it when I try and use the 3d aerial view and shows an error message on maps. I don't use that function but use the map for work. Was just tired of having to do it every time for that function, Lumia Icon.

Ignition1

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Geo-magnetic disturbances? :p

But yes, I have that issue sometimes. I also have it on my iPhone5S...which I always need to calibrate whenever I open the Compass app.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Well, it only asks for calibration sometimes, I've never had an issue though. After calibrating(making 8), everything works fine

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Mine was having that problem. I reverted back to 8.0 and then went back to PFD 8.1 and well see how that goes.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
Or close to wallets with credit cards.
I used to have this on my 1020 til I got a new wallet, phones are so sensitive.

Edit: Woah, old thread...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786