Nokia Lumia 930 Overheating Issue and atrocious service

chrisouth

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site
I purchased a brand new Nokia Lumia 930 from Singtel Singapore on a contract. The phone would heat up during normal use (making phone calls, checking email, browsing internet, etc..) after two weeks the screen starting showing signs of heat damage. See attached image.

I would have expected a nokia phone to have lasted longer than two weeks!?

On the recommendation from the Singtel retail store I handed my phone into Nokia Singapore (Harbourfront) to be repaired under warranty. Although I would have really expected a replacement handset given that the phone was only 3 weeks old at this point. Apple seem to provide this service all through their warranty period.

After three weeks and I was still waiting for my phone to be repaired. I tried calling the service center over 20 times, yes over 20 times and with no reply. I also tried calling Nokia support and it is so automated that there is no option to talk to a person regarding my service request or just in general (it has now been changed). I also tried re-visiting the service center where I dropped off the phone and it had closed down! With a note to call Nokia AKA the same I tried before which is (was) useless to a human being.

When I did finally got hold of a Nokia rep over virtual chat, they were helpful in answering my questions and providing an update but with no real result. I was told that the service center are waiting on an important part to arrive but without a date when it might arrive.

Well it's now been over five weeks that Nokia Singapore has had my phone. Apparently the parts are still on their way and the delay is due to bulk shipping them... really? from where the moon???!

The Nokia rep was pretty much useless (again). In that he couldn't provide a timeframe or even escalate my call other than add a priority to the repair once the part(s) arrive, whenever that might be.

According to Nokia's own Limited Warranty, "During the warranty period, Manufacturer will, in a reasonable time, remedy the Defect free of charge by either repairing or replacing the defective Product or the defective part of it at its option provided that you have informed Manufacturer of the Defect before the warranty period expires." Anyone with an iodate of common sense would determine that 5 weeks for a phone repair is beyond a "reasonable time".

Surely it must be cheaper to just provide a replacement phone than ship parts over to Singapore??

I purchased this phone from Singtel and its just money wasted as far I'm concerned as what is the point on owning a phone without being able to use it?

Nokia Service in Singapore is absolutely atrocious and non-functioning, compounded with an unannounced service center closure I don't see a future for Nokia here.

Also given my recent experience this will be the last Nokia phone I'll be getting, back to HTC or even Samsung for me.

The whole experience has been utterly frustrating.

Shame on you Nokia.

Attachments

• nokialumia930.jpg
    nokialumia930.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 109

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
That's a pretty bad experience. I'm sure there are others out there.

I guess part of the problem you have here, aside from defective phone, is that Nokia is no longer responsible for the phones and has been taken up by Microsoft. They're going through a transition phase still.

I don't know why your carrier didn't just replace it. In other countries this is standard practice. No idea what the rules are there in Singapore but I would be requesting a new phone from your carrier and let them deal with the repair.

Also a nice complaint to Microsoft would be in order if you ask me.

Putting things here unfortunately doesn't do much other than provide a place to vent.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
This is not good :(. How could Nokia release this phone with such a severe overheating issue???? Where the **** is the QA team??? or more likely said, what on earth were they doing when this device was tested??? is this a bad joke Nokia??? is this a 500EUR+ phone??

Suedezu

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This is not good :(. How could Nokia release this phone with such a severe overheating issue???? Where the **** is the QA team??? or more likely said, what on earth were they doing when this device was tested??? is this a bad joke Nokia??? is this a 500EUR+ phone??

Marius, just chill man! I have been using a 930 for 3 months now and I have two other friends who are also using 930s and we have ZERO issues with them.

No use in making general assumptions about a phone model based on some isolated incidents. There will always be lemons regardless of the brand/OS/model.

I would recommend that the OP contacts his operator and really complains about his issue and requests a new phone.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Marius, just chill man! I have been using a 930 for 3 months now and I have two other friends who are also using 930s and we have ZERO issues with them.

No use in making general assumptions about a phone model based on some isolated incidents. There will always be lemons regardless of the brand/OS/model.

I would recommend that the OP contacts his operator and really complains about his issue and requests a new phone.
Sorry man, but I simply get mad when such a great phone suffers from this kind of issues.

anon9169769

Banned
Nov 4, 2014
Visit site
You really need to contact Microsoft on their live chat. I done so when I had a problem. Waited no longer then 2 seconds to speak to someone and got my issue resolved

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism