VERY Large Battery Drain.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Here's a good one. On waking the phone, I found that the battery had drained from 100% to 3% overnight. 3%! Do you believe? In fact, the phone had actually powered off to protect the battery. In the battery usage stats, Internet Explorer was shown to be the culprit, at 100% of the charge used....7% foreground, and 93% background....the app that, just the day before, I had set NOT to run in the background. An app which I can't uninstall, and about which I'm unable to do more than I've already done to prevent it draining.
That is a PRETTY good one you've got to agree.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
do you have it set to sync (favorites, etc.) with your other devices ?

If it can't connect, it will continue to poll (e.g. I put my device in airplane mode, overnight) or was it left OPEN in the background.
Try to soft reset your device, see if that fixes anything.

In addition, a good rule to follow (to avoid anomalies) is to Power OFF the device, once a week! That will fix a lot of stuff

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Thx for replies. Correct methods followed by me so far as I can think. Perhaps after setting IE to not run in background, I ought to have rebooted for it to take effect. Who knows. In future I'll be Powering Off or using Airplane Mode overnight.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Excuse the tardy reply miodrage. I did compose a reply earlier but when I pressed Send, was told that the action was not permitted and that I did not exist. Ho-hum, smartphonery, it can be tiresome.
Yes, your overnight charging is a good ploy, but I would be worried about the phone deciding to do something endlessly....syncing or searching or something, and overheating.
I powered off three of my devices last night and was pleased to see on waking them that they'd lost no charge....in fact, one had gained a percent or two.

miodrage

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Belodion: every1 is allowed to do whatever one wants with its device... Also, I am a guy who is used to press back like ten times in a sec, so am not particularly worried about some BG process.

dicks-webos

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Funny, I had the same issue last night. Went from 51% to 3% over night. I have location services off to save battery. Recently I installed the new Gestures Beta, maybe its related to that?

But I have had the same thing with my old 820, so I am thinking it may be a firmware (Cyan) issue.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Hmm I've had the same issue on DP. but for me Outlook was having 95% background battery drain overnight, something that NEVER happened to me on any device. I've reflashed my 1020 with a german ROM and avoided DP and now seems to work just fine.

belodion

Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
There is a possible clue in my case, although I doubt that it's relevant. In IE I had looked up a type of car, and in the web page there was a link to a YouTube clip of it, so I opened it. Afterwards I closed by using the back button and tapping the X. Only some time after the next morning's battery drain did I happen to scroll down on the Start screen and notice a new tile at the bottom....I must somehow have unknowingly pinned it. I made a screenshot of it and here's the relevant part.
Of course I unpinned it afterwards....I don't know what happened to it, it's nowhere among the list of app tiles. I already have a proper YouTube tile.

a82df3ad278eb053eb94f8b6a7f61ce9.png

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
There is a possible clue in my case, although I doubt that it's relevant. In IE I had looked up a type of car, and in the web page there was a link to a YouTube clip of it, so I opened it. Afterwards I closed by using the back button and tapping the X. Only some time after the next morning's battery drain did I happen to scroll down on the Start screen and notice a new tile at the bottom....I must somehow have unknowingly pinned it. I made a screenshot of it and here's the relevant part.
Of course I unpinned it afterwards....I don't know what happened to it, it's nowhere among the list of app tiles. I already have a proper YouTube tile.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/17/a82df3ad278eb053eb94f8b6a7f61ce9.png

Yeah..weird how that happened. But now is it better?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3