Will there be an updated version of the Nokia Lumia 930 with micro SD????

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking to finally get a good phone. I feel confident with Windows phone and have been using the lower end models to try it out. I've had a lumia 521 and currently using the 530. I see that the Lumia 930 currently does not have a micro SD which is a deal breaker for me. I know the 1520 has the same specs with a micro SD but I'm not so sure I want a 6" phone, I'd have to see one in person. The 830 uses old specs which does have a micro SD card but I question if it's too old and worry about future updates. So the 930 would fit the bill except no micro SD slot. I know Nokia likes to update which now its Microsoft so any idea of an update down the road? The last true good flagship phone I had, lasted me 5-4 of daily use and still works, was my Nokia N95-3 which I miss the regular non smart phone features of S60.

***I'm on T-Mobile so I know I'd probably would get the Rogers version since I don't foresee Tmobile carrying flag ship windows phones****

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 830 is not old. Don't worry about updates, worry about whether the extra couple seconds in loading that could mean matters to you.

I don't expect a modded 930 or upgrade for a while. Maybe late next year to coincide with Windows 10's launch.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
No the 830 is not old to where it won't get future updates, however I do believe that it's specifications are such to where it will not get updates like always on Cortana.

Will there be an updated 930 category phone with microSD? If MS knows what's best the answer is yes. Many of us are waiting for a phone the size of the 930 and with a microSD slot and Glance capability. I think those three factors lay out the basic framework for the next and best selling flagship for MMOy.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I still think it is a horrible idea for MMOy to wait till the launch of Windows 10 to launch a flagship Windows phone. To leave the WP market in the doldrums like that for a couple of years without a suitable flagship is hideous. The 1520 as the OP implies is too large for many, the Icon/930 lacks an SD card slot and GLANCE! That situation has left the WP market with a hole in the product catalogue for an extended period of time in the preeminent OEM, Nokia/MMOy.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
It would be nice if there was a newer 930 with an SD card slot and Glance. The 930 is the greatest true flagship to never come to the United States (the Lumia icon doesn't count as it was a CDMA device and not a true GSM phone as are all other Nokia phones). Microsoft really dropped the ball with that, hopefully they can pick themselves up and release a 935-based phone to US consumers and do what HTC did with the One M8, release it to the all carriers, including Sprint.

Keith Brooks

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
On Microsoft's end, there are no high-end phones coming until around next fall/winter when Windows 10 is released. Could be just before or just after according to rumors. Personally, I think that's stupid of Microsoft. Especially considering WP's market share on phones and the fact that all WP8/8.1 devices can upgrade to W10 or whatever they name it. Personally, I'd update the high-end phones immediately and then introduce more next fall/winter. It kind of seems like they really don't want to boost WP's market share. All low-end WP's aren't going to do it.I've got a Lumia 521 now, but it was my 1st smartphone and I'm no longer a newb. Now I'm ready to upgrade to a Lumia 1320 between now and early February. I'd get the 152, but I can't afford it, as I'm on disability for life. $400-500+ is out of the question. They also, really need to make all the unlocked lower end phones under $100, the mid-ends $150-200 and the high-end $200-300. Doing that will increase market share. They won't do that though. The Surface Pro prices are a perfect example. Most of us can't afford them. Why would I want a 7" tablet if I have a 6" smartphone ????? Especially seeing as they're in the process of making the app's universal. The newer WP's also need more than 4 or 8GB's of internal storage and all should have microSD slot's. oth are mandatory. It needs to be 16GB's for low-end, 32GB's for mid-end and 64GBs for high-end.

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm alright thanks everyone but it seems like the consensus is a "no" on any update of Lumia 930 variant with SD card. I would have thought Nokia or MS would have recognized that one of the main reasons the lower ended models have sold well is not because they are just cheap but that they have SD card slots. I was also hoping Nokia would have had some updates in the pipeline, I know they used to make a lot of different variants of the same phone ie N95. I am pondering getting the 1520 but I'd have to see one in person, I've seen the iphoen6+ and the Galaxy Note 4 which are huge and can only imagine how a 6" one would be. I hope it doesn't have a large bezel around it otherwise that adds to the dimensions.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
No one here knows, how can they ?
It's all just syntactic sugar, blah, blah, blah.

Regarding the 1520, it's huge, massive. All of the Lumia's that I've had are larger to hold than other brands with the same screen size. Pick up a Samsung S4, for example, then any Lumia with a 5" screen and you'll see what I mean.
I had the 1520 for about a week and returned it. While I was at the store I held it, compared to the Samsung Mega (6" screen also), and, as I've found out, the 1520 is less "holadable" than the Samsung. Lumia simple makes large phones for the screen size.
Not particularly bashing Lumia's, as I own a 830.

Fred

Hmmm alright thanks everyone but it seems like the consensus is a "no" on any update of Lumia 930 variant with SD card. I would have thought Nokia or MS would have recognized that one of the main reasons the lower ended models have sold well is not because they are just cheap but that they have SD card slots. I was also hoping Nokia would have had some updates in the pipeline, I know they used to make a lot of different variants of the same phone ie N95. I am pondering getting the 1520 but I'd have to see one in person, I've seen the iphoen6+ and the Galaxy Note 4 which are huge and can only imagine how a 6" one would be. I hope it doesn't have a large bezel around it otherwise that adds to the dimensions.

ludawg94

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
I'll wait a month and see if MS announces any new devices for January's event. The specs on it are good and I finally saw one today at the MS store. For the most part I was able to hold it one handed but because the back is smooth I caught myself holding it with two hands, if I get a thin rubber case it might do it but then it'll add to the bulkiness of it. The bezel around it on the sides wasn't too bad but there was some real estate eaten up on the bottom and top portion of the phone. Really on the fence at the price it's at right now though. What sucks is the size of the 1520 kills it but then no microSD on the 930 kills it too.

I did see the Iphone 6+ and the Galaxy note 4 which those are holdable one handed, which those I would be ok with.

melvintwj

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
You might wanna look for a good deal for a 2nd hand Lumia 1520. I have mine for almost 4 months now. I prefer the size of the 930, but 6" isn't really that bad. In fact, it's good in a "good to have" way.

I got it off contract for 650SGD which is about 500USD? I went for the 1520 because of the larger battery, and I have been pretty darn contented with it. It's possible to last 24 hours on medium to heavy usage, and that's something.

If you're worried about the size, you really should go to the store and try it for yourself. Coming from a 920 and then 1020, I was quite sceptical about the size at first, but I got used to it pretty quickly. It's definitely a beautiful screen. The assertive display technology is fantastic. Better viewing experience compared to the 930 (my gf owns a 930).

Besides all of those, it has what you are looking for. MicroSD card expansion. I have a SanDisk class 10 32GB MicroSD and I use it to store my *cough* movies and TV shows.

I use the phone mainly for texting, WhatsApp, Twitter, Instagram, news, and lots of photo taking. I've never had any issues with the phone so far. Definitely think that this is the best Windows Phone available today.

I understand that everything is based on user/personal preferences. I hope that by sharing my user experience, I would be able to help you pick a perfect WP. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3