Why is my 930 freezing and having to soft reset?

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
930 freezing and having to soft reset

Hi all,

Last night my 930 developed an odd fault. the lock screen/power button seems to have a problem. I first noticed last night when I went to my phone and tried to unlock it and the screen stayed black, the button was completely unresponsive. I had to do a soft reset. so far since last night, this has happened about 5 or 6 times, I'm pretty sure it's a software issue because sometimes when it happens, you can't lock the screen but you can power off, so the button is working, just not all the time for the lock function.

I'm considering doing a hard reset to see if this will cure it. Has anyone else experienced or know anyone who has had this kind of fault before?

any help would be grateful

Thanks

KingyOwl

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Re: 930 freezing and having to soft reset

I have the same problem since yesterday afternoon on my Lumia 930. The only change I made to my phone was to install and then uninstall "5 Minute Home Workout"; don't know if you did?

I read a similar thread on here today (#329424 - I can't post a direct link because I don't have 10 forum posts yet!) and the resolution for him was to replace the SIM card, which hasn't worked for me.

Because I believe it to be caused by an app, I expect a hard reset will solve the problem but I don't want to rush into that if another solution can be found.

KingyOwl

May 9, 2013
Visit site

In that case, I don't have a solution, but I believe we have found the cause. I have reported the app to Microsoft via the store, but I doubt that will get us anywhere.

I don't know if you have the same problem but I also now cannot install app updates or new apps since this issue started (they just queue pending) and also the phone feels rather laggy in general.

I'm not keen to do it but I feel a hard reset may be the only way to go now. :-(

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

well what I noticed was that after I uninstalled the app, I had 3 updates which installed but they never showed up in the store afterwards as being updated. there was on this morning that was pending, but it eventually installed. i'm currently in the process off doing a hard reset as we speak. i'll let you know what happens

Update: I did the hard reset, everything has reinstalled and so far so good, no problems. i'll keep you posted!

Last edited:

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Ok.... All is working fine again. No restart problems, no lock button problems etc etc. I know a hard reset is a pain in the proverbial, but it seems so far to be the only way to fix it.

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

Exactly same sequence happened with me.
Installed that "5 minute home workout" app, and my Lumia 925 is gone. :(
Backup is not working for me correctly, so I am afraid of a hard reset. Any other solution pls?

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

Disregard the above post saying all is working well again, it is still crashing. the question I have for the 2 other posters in this thread is, are you both running preview for developers?

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site
Disregard the above post saying all is working well again, it is still crashing. the question I have for the 2 other posters in this thread is, are you both running preview for developers?
You mean to say, phone is crashing again after hard reset?? This is a serious problem then, MS should release a fix for this.
Edit: I am not using preview for developers

Cormango

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
You mean to say, phone is crashing again after hard reset?? This is a serious problem then, MS should release a fix for this.
Edit: I am not using preview for developers

It seems nobody is talking about the issue. None of the blogs have posted anything even though people have been reporting the issue with the 5 Minute Workout app for a couple of days now. And it seems theChive app is also having the same problem. It may not be a problem with the apps at all but instead the way the apps are packaged or maybe it's the OS. Whatever it is, Microsoft needs to speak or at the very least remove the apps from the Windows Phone Store.

Sunil Patil2

Sep 7, 2014
Visit site

yes, I installed Chive last night. i'm going to hard reset again.....oh the joys!

It might be an idea for Daniel to warn people about this through the windows central news page.
So you hard reset your phone yesterday because of "5minutes..." and now doing second hard reset for "chives" app.
I guess you are cursing your stars. :p

jamie johnston

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site

So you hard reset your phone yesterday because of "5minutes..." and now doing second hard reset for "chives" app.
I guess you are cursing your stars. :p
Yeah something like that, I'm scared to install any apps now if this is going to happen on a regular basis!

SteviePat

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Just to add my experience - exactly the same as the original poster. And hopefully this thread has saved me a long drawn out returns process - I'd installed the Chive app so I'm very much hoping this was the issue. Have uninstalled it and will see how I get on today. I had to do 6/7 soft resets yesterday and missed my alarms this morning as the phone hit the issue.

On a side-note, if this does turn out to be the app I installed then that's worrying that a random app can have this impact.....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett