Screen lift -> proximity sensor failure -> list of problems

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
So far i've experience the following problems caused by screen lift/proximity sensor failure

1. Black screen in calls
2. Microsoft Gesture app doesn't work properly
3. Can't start camera from standby with denim update unless i uncheck "prevent camera from starting by mistake.."

Maybe there is more?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
So far i've experience the following problems caused by screen lift/proximity sensor failure

1. Black screen in calls
2. Microsoft Gesture app doesn't work properly
3. Can't start camera from standby with denim update unless i uncheck "prevent camera from starting by mistake.."

Maybe there is more?

All of these functions (Black screen in calls, Gesture Beta App, accidental camera launch prevention) are dependent on the Proximity Sensor - as properly indicated in the title. Looks like your best option is to have your screen checked up - a connection to the proximity sensor might have become loose due to the screen lift.

Is your automatic brightness setting functioning? The ambient light sensor might have been affected, too, so it would be worth checking as well.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
The first thing you should always do when you have a proximity sensor failure is to clean your screen with a lint free cloth and some alcohol or eyeglass cleaner. Nine times out of 10, or in my case 99 out of 100, it is due to build up of grease from fingerprints or something else. I've rarely been able to see the buildup physically, but if a fingerprint covers it just right, it will fail to function properly.

If cleaning the area with the sensor doesn't work, then have it checked by a professional.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
In addition to rhapdog's suggestion, I would suggest using a micro-fiber cloth instead and AVOID using cleaning liquids (such as lens cleaning substances or even alcohol) on your screen as these could react with or even remove the oleophobic coating.

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Oleophobic coating? Wasn't aware of that. Thanks for the info. I'm going to have to look that one up.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the oleophobic coating on newer phone screens has two functions. The primary function is to deter oil (which is what fingerprints are made of) from sticking to the screen surface. The secondary (possibly accidental) function is to protect the screen from scratches. The glass material itself is around 7 in the Moh's scale whereas the oleophobic coating is at around a 9 - making it scratch resistant. However, the coating is very thin and is not immune to chemical reactions, so it can wear down in time after repeatedly getting in contact with certain fluids.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism