Lumia Camera on Denim vs Lumia Camera Classic

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Well...if you take the same shot with both Lumia Camera and Lumia Camera Classic you get 2 different results.

So far i belive that when shot with the old camera software, the results are the same as on cyan. At least they seem to be very close.

Lumia camera does this - heavily processes the image after it was taken. Basically it adds allot more contrast and some sharpening, making the image having darker tones and appear sharper than the results you get using Lumia Camera classic. Also because of the increased contrast, the noise levels seem to be lower. It is indeed much faster, and quicker to focus. The overall results seem to me a bit too dark and overprocessed, leaving the really darker areas of the shot without details, almost completely dark.

Also, when taking pictures on auto, i could only get 1/25 maximum exposure on auto settings, while it used to be 1/3 on Lumia Camera classic. There is no timer on Lumia camera.

I din not compare the shots from Lumia Camera Classic on Cyan vs Denim. They seem to be the same but not sure, did not test them yet. I have some frames prepared and will test and compare them later. ( i will post some examples here if i can)

These are my FIRST impressions, so take them with a grain of salt. I did not test the differences properly yet.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Camera (Denim).jpg
Lumia Camera (Denim) - auto Iso 320, 1/10 no flash
Lumia Camera Classic (Cyan).jpg
Lumia Camera Classic (Cyan) - auto Iso 500, 1/10 no flash
Lumia Camera Classic (Denim).jpg
Lumia Camera Classic(Denim) - auto Iso 320, 1/10 no flash

The blue and the door seems closer to reality in the Lumia Camera Denim photo. The drawer in the right is best in the Cyan Lumia camera classic. The white balance is off in both Denim pictures (a purple tint)

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I'm ecstatic with the higher contract and sharpening of the denim camera. Rich capture allows to tweak after if needed, and i always found my previous Lumia devices photos to look much softer then that of the competition. This is a very welcomed changed for me, but at least the "classic" camera is still available for those that prefer the way things were.

Thanks for the comparison shots, I'll try to take some a little later as well.

Chris_Germany

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
Also Lumia Camera (denim) seems to be a bit rushed, i think it is not ready yet. It is buggy and a bit unrefined.

ROFL! "Rushed" ? They presented the new Lumia Camera in September !!! So 4 months gone now since then! If there is ANY SINGLE LITTLE TINY BUG in this app, i freak out. Srsly! 4 Months!!!

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I get 1/4 exposure time auto in dark lightning Indoor with the new Lumia Camera 5. Which is the same as old Camera and a shame since taking photos with 1/4 exposure time in the night club etc results in completely blurry people and other things that are moving. Also the pictures get totally unrealistically bright. Guess i should buy an Iphone for taking club photos..

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
ROFL! "Rushed" ? They presented the new Lumia Camera in September !!! So 4 months gone now since then! If there is ANY SINGLE LITTLE TINY BUG in this app, i freak out. Srsly! 4 Months!!!

Yes, rushed. the camera roll inside the app is a bit buggy, and the overall experience makes me think i am running a beta, not the real app.

Also i am not pleased by the results...i was hoping for a bit of sharpening and a touch more contrast, but the latter part is just too strong for my taste... Makes the photos seem less natural...

What i was modding most often in Cyan pictures was adding a bit more contrast and sharpening, and made the blacker tones blacker and the whites whiter. What the app does now by default is just too much, i feel the shadows should be allot lighter. They went in the right direction with the tweaking, they are just doing too much of it.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I get 1/4 exposure time auto in dark lightning Indoor with the new Lumia Camera 5. Which is the same as old Camera and a shame since taking photos with 1/4 exposure time in the night club etc results in completely blurry people and other things that are moving. Also the pictures get totally unrealistically bright. Guess i should buy an Iphone for taking club photos..
You need xenon flash for club pictures ( lumia 1020, the pureview 808 etc.). All, and i mean ALL phones with LED will not be able to take a picture of a moving person in a club. It is one of the many faults of LED. The light is simply not fast enough. With LED, you will not get a clear picture of a moving person indoors, with relatively good light. The iphone makes no exception.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Lumia Camera v5 is first, Lumia Camera Classic ( both on Denim) second. I'm not sure i like this red tint...the true colors seem to be in between the photos, a combined one would make more true to life colors.

wp_ss_20141219_0016.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0015.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0020.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0019.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0021.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0022.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0027.jpgwp_ss_20141219_0028.jpg

In the last photo, the color of the wall resembles most with it in reality, it has no pink tint actually.

Last edited:

user4545

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
You need xenon flash for club pictures ( lumia 1020, the pureview 808 etc.). All, and i mean ALL phones with LED will not be able to take a picture of a moving person in a club. It is one of the many faults of LED. The light is simply not fast enough. With LED, you will not get a clear picture of a moving person indoors, with relatively good light. The iphone makes no exception.
I never use the flash, want to capture the picture as it is in real life and Lumias have done that in a very bad way since the 920. Most other phones never go higher than around 1/13 exposure time just because moving objects get very blurry at those long exposure times.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
The simple and easy solution would be to manually change the exposure to 1/10 or whatever suits your needs. Would be cheaper than buying a new phone...Still you would have to do this every time you open Lumia Camera... But once you get used to it it takes little to no time to do that.

I am not a fan either of the ridiculously lit scenes sometimes, but very grateful for them other times. In the end i think it's much better than not having anything at all in my frames.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I don't think is related to LED or Xenon.

The problem is 1/4 exposure time. But this is not seem try in my experience on Lumia 930 automode. When you have poor light conditions, the automode ALWAYS turn the flash on and exposure time go to at least 1/10 or 1/12, which is very good for take night pictures.

Even for a DSLR could be trick take shots on low light conditions and moving subjects. Without flash, just forget, it's impossible. People need to know a little more about photography before complaint.

ps.: iPhone? Please, don't make me laugh. iPhone have a potato camera.

Rodrigo Mendes

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I never use the flash, want to capture the picture as it is in real life and Lumias have done that in a very bad way since the 920. Most other phones never go higher than around 1/13 exposure time just because moving objects get very blurry at those long exposure times.

So you want low light pics and moving subjects without flash?

It's impossible, sorry to say.

You need light, Photography is all about light.

galbenush

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I don't think is related to LED or Xenon.

The problem is 1/4 exposure time............... When you have poor light conditions, the automode ALWAYS turn the flash on and exposure time go to at least 1/10 or 1/12.

With flash on, like you said, exposure time goes to 1/10, 1/12 etc. So 1/4 exposure can't be the issue. However, if you look into it you will see how L1020 can take low light stills effortlessly. This is thanks to the xenon, which emits a stronger and faster light. Xenon has the power to "freeze" the moment, while LED only lights up the scene a bit.

But i agree with you, taking phone pictures in a club without flash is useless, no matter what phone you have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism