How do I use Authenticator?

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I was setting up a new laptop and it asked for my Microsoft account credentials.
So I put them in. It then asked me to verify this. One option was to use Authenticator which I have on my 930. The laptop gave me a 5 letter code. I opened Authenticator, entered my MS login, then the code. It said it was wrong. I could find no other instructions so I ended up using the email option.

How is Authenticator suppose to work?

Help?

Thanks,

Mr. V

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I went ahead and did a bunch of 'stuff'. New codes and passwords. Not sure how to test it....

Be nice if the app had more instructions on it.

I assume it is suppose to work like a Citrix fob? Two levels of authentication?

Thanks,

Mr. V

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok,

I add the password my account told me to add.

Authenticator is now generating random six digit numbers. However, I just went to a site, tried to login, and it asked me to two step authenticate. It wanted me to use my MS Account, so I chose use another method (app) and it had Authenticator. I tried it and it failed over and over. The numbers never worked. I ended up having to send it to email.

Do I have to sync this thing?

Thanks,

Mr. V

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Did you already do below?
Log in to your Microsoft account , and click the Set Up link under Authenticator App. Then open the authenticator app and scan the QR Code on the page and you?re all set.

Last edited:

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I re did that step. I am not sure if it worked the first time, because I manually entered the secret code. This time, I used the QR code.

Thanks for the info!

Mr. V

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3