New 930 - Horrible Battery Life

chaseerry

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Bought a new unlocked GSM Lumia 930 recently. Fantastic phone, but the battery life seems to be pathetic. Two minutes after it's off the charger it drops to 99%. Then 20 minutes later I"m at 95%. Halfway through the day I'm at 80-75% and all I've done is text my wife a couple of times. I am in a city with great AT&T coverage (HSPA in this instance) so that isn't it. I have tried turning Location Services completely off for a day but no difference was made. Only a couple of apps running in the background 'Always'. Not a heavy user at all.

Anybody else?

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Like others have said, you need to use the device more. My Lumia 930 has decent battery life, lasts me at least a day. But is pretty short compared to my Lumia 1520.

Catalin Dan

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem with it, 30 min after it's of charger I'm at 89% and all I did is check windowscentral app, 1 message on WhatsApp and checked for app updates. I have it for about 2 months so it's used to my daily usage. Tried everything (brightness low NFC off Bluetooth off etc). Something is wrong.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
Some stuff you don't really need either to run in background or only enable when necessary. Eg GPS, Bluetooth, etc

jeiiel

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I found the similar issues with mine. It drops to 99% after only a couple of mins. Heavy usage aka screen constantly on it doesn't last very long. But normal work day usage I find the battery can last a whole day bringing down to 40% for me. Obviously it varies from day to day. I am hoping the denim update will fix all our woes.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Bought a new unlocked GSM Lumia 930 recently. Fantastic phone, but the battery life seems to be pathetic. Two minutes after it's off the charger it drops to 99%. Then 20 minutes later I"m at 95%. Halfway through the day I'm at 80-75% and all I've done is text my wife a couple of times. I am in a city with great AT&T coverage (HSPA in this instance) so that isn't it. I have tried turning Location Services completely off for a day but no difference was made. Only a couple of apps running in the background 'Always'. Not a heavy user at all.

Anybody else?

One important tip if you're using an unlocked in the US, it's constantly trying to scan for LTE (4G) bands and will obviously never find one.

Go to Settings > Cellular > SIM Settings, and set the Highest Connection speed to 3G. That will disable 4G band polling and prevent radio drain.

That said, it will take a few days to properly "sort out" what the real battery life is like, exactly as others have said. Also, if you came from a 1520 (like I did), remember you have a full 1000mah LESS battery to work with and yet the same CPU/graphics specs, so that's gonna power through the battery faster than you may be experienced.

vEEP pEEP

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

I charge my phone during the night. During the day - i did not check how much it drops, but it comes off the charger around 7am, and goes back on around 11 pm. I am down to about 50%-70%. I usually use Whatsapp and a bit of browsing, txting, occasionally Skype, and some photo editing, and taking pictures.

I don't find the battery life bad at all - because it performance remains the same whether the battery is at 50% or 20%. So I don't really worry about battery life as I am relatively close to a charger.

At work, I have a charger, and also in the car.

I do close out windows I am not using to remove clutter - not sure if that helps.

Just sharing my experience.

Thanks,

Mr. V

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
IVe been accustomed to crappy battery life on smartphones (I still don't understand how anyone gets a day out of these things.... My first smartphone was an LG Optimus 7 and it had like 10-12hr battery life (somewhere there). I also used a Lumia 710 that got an even worse 6-8hrs of battery life. I read people getting a day and a half and the only way I ever got anywhere NEAR that was if it was in airplane mode and never use it (I doubled its battery life that way)).

II think I average about 15hrs for my 930 and that's very well good enough for me. I can push it longer if I use it less obviousl y.
My only criteria is that the phone last long enough through the day.
I charge the thing every night.
Heck ill just carry a portable charger with me if I need emergency power.

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I read a really interesting article somewhere...maybe WPC, but probably somewhere else...about battery life and best charging practices.

So, as I recall, the gist was that a) modern batteries and USB smart chargers "take a break" when they reach 100%, as it is damaging to the battery to keep going, and in fact go idle until it drops down 2-3% and then start to top it up again. So if you find you're losing that top couple % quickly, it could be that you unplugged between top-ups.

b) that series of constant quick top-ups that happen when you leave a phone charging over-night is eating away at your battery's lifespan and holding power. The author claimed charging up before bed, unplugging for the night, and then plugging in for a quick 10 minute bump-up in the morning will get you the same result with less negative impact on the battery. Batteries are "rated" for a certain number of cycles...and it's usually a large enough number to be of little concern. But still, you're better off going at it with an icepick, rather than a sledgehammer. Part of that is letting the battery behave normally...regular recharging and discharging.

Beyond all that...I believe there's a certain psychological aspect to it.... It's the same as watching the gas gauge in my vehicle. I'm a lot more interested/invested in the top and bottom 20% than I am everything in between, which is just "the middle", and so am much more aware of changes near to, but away from, perfect/100%/full and increasingly towards screwed/0%/empty.

Having said that....not all batteries are created equal, and even from one manufacturing lot to another you can have variations.
I've noticed that Facebook and Flipboard require "hard closes" and will stay open if you just back out of them. I find those two will nibble away at your battery if left to their own devices.

AndyM72

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I just got a used 930, it hadn't got 8.1 Update 1 on it when I got it so it needed an update and a hard reset. After a few days, it's lasting 5.5 hours on 4G and 7.5 hours on 3G. For a > 2000 mAh battery, this really isn't acceptable.

broughshane

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
hi ! kind of the same problem with my battery life with my 930. Soon as I take it of from charge it will lose 4% of battery life in the first half hour with only wifi and bluetooth on and the normal apps running in the background, but not using the phone, and it will do this the odd few times throughout the day. But i can get a day from the battery with no worries of running out.. now my phone would have a hard time with poor signal quality from 2g 3g 3.5g(H) all to jump on ! would like to say with preview for developers app that my battery lost 12hrs of life from its 36hrs life. but I think the battery life on the 930 while not good I wouldn't say its poor or bad either. the little mad drops in battery I'm hoping will be fixed with the next OS firmware update.

EasilyTheBest

Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
My girlfriend had terrible battery on her new Nokia 930. We tried everything but eventually concluded there must be a fault with the phone.
We took it back to the store and explained that we had tried hardware and software resets. Turning off all background tasks etc etc.
It was sent off for repair and when it was returned the fault report mentioned something along the lines of, one cell down one cell low.
After getting home with the phone within hours of turning it on we could see the battery was way way better.
I use a Nokia 1520 and every time we send a text we always put our battery % at the end. My girlfriends phone only last slightly less than mine now. It lasts her a whole day no problem...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I find the first 20% goes really quickly on my 830, but it always last at least 20 hours, even with heavy usage the whole time-and I've never hit battery saver inside of 24 hours.

I have GPS, NFC, double-tap to wake, flip to silence, and Cortana always on, but I don't allow battery saver to run in the background.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I read a really interesting article somewhere...maybe WPC, but probably somewhere else...about battery life and best charging practices.

So, as I recall, the gist was that a) modern batteries and USB smart chargers "take a break" when they reach 100%, as it is damaging to the battery to keep going, and in fact go idle until it drops down 2-3% and then start to top it up again. So if you find you're losing that top couple % quickly, it could be that you unplugged between top-ups.

b) that series of constant quick top-ups that happen when you leave a phone charging over-night is eating away at your battery's lifespan and holding power. The author claimed charging up before bed, unplugging for the night, and then plugging in for a quick 10 minute bump-up in the morning will get you the same result with less negative impact on the battery. Batteries are "rated" for a certain number of cycles...and it's usually a large enough number to be of little concern. But still, you're better off going at it with an icepick, rather than a sledgehammer. Part of that is letting the battery behave normally...regular recharging and discharging.

Beyond all that...I believe there's a certain psychological aspect to it.... It's the same as watching the gas gauge in my vehicle. I'm a lot more interested/invested in the top and bottom 20% than I am everything in between, which is just "the middle", and so am much more aware of changes near to, but away from, perfect/100%/full and increasingly towards screwed/0%/empty.

Having said that....not all batteries are created equal, and even from one manufacturing lot to another you can have variations.
I've noticed that Facebook and Flipboard require "hard closes" and will stay open if you just back out of them. I find those two will nibble away at your battery if left to their own devices.

I never close FB lol but I do practice best charging by using an external battery for overnight charging. With my 830 I have a LuguLake 6000mah portable Qi wireless charger ($25 on Amazon Canada) that I put it on at night. Once it fills the phone battery to 100% it shuts off. I wake up to my phone sitting between 92-97% typically.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I just got a used 930, it hadn't got 8.1 Update 1 on it when I got it so it needed an update and a hard reset. After a few days, it's lasting 5.5 hours on 4G and 7.5 hours on 3G. For a > 2000 mAh battery, this really isn't acceptable.

That's a 2430mAh battery, and I would say there's something wrong for sure. My HTC HD7 with its 4.3" screen and 1230mAh battery did better than that on 3G. I would take it in if you can.

Enrico Taroni

Oct 19, 2014
Visit site
My 930 with normal use last me a day and an half ! I found that the battery life for a phone with all those characteristics and a no so big battery last very good ! I'm happy with it !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3