Happy with Lumia again

someoneinwa

May 7, 2011
Visit site
I needed a new phone a few months ago and went with the Lumia 830. It had most of what I had on my old 920 and I liked the green color and it was available on AT&T. The phone is OK, but it never delighted me. Even on the first day. The screen was nice but not as good as I had expected, the camera was good but I thought my photos had a flatness to them I had not seen before. And there was the "resuming..." message that I saw over and over again. Turning on the phone, waking the phone, launching the camera, using the back arrow to return to an app, all of these lead to "resuming...."

I've read here and elsewhere about people in the US buying the 930 for use on AT&T or T-Mobile. Everyone said the same thing: no LTE but other than that, the 930 was the best Windows Phone experience possible outside of the giant 1520. I took the plunge and ordered a green 930 from a UK supplier through Amazon Prime. It came in three days and included earbuds and a UK AC plug along with a US converter. This big clunky rig will never be used because I've got several regular Nokia AC units around home if I need them, which I won't because there is wireless charging. I set up the phone and there were two updates waiting for me. When these were done I had Denim and the Lumia Camera 5 app.

For fun I started both the 930 and 830 from a shut down state to see what happened. The 930 started, ran around the block and had a snack before I saw the Start screen of my 830. That awful performance is what I had become used to. No more. I've used the 930 for three days at work now and haven't missed LTE once. Internet sharing works fine for me, but I've read that isn't true for some 930 users.

I know phones are now a commodity, a utility device that people toss with their keys and hand to their kids to keep them entertained. I get that, but I still want the device to delight me when I first experience it. The 830 didn't and never grew on me either. The 930 does. Microsoft may not be officially offering a true flagship in the US right now, but the 930 can be that device until something better comes along.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I would love to see what the next device for Microsoft will be. I am thinking about getting the 930 again because I'm seriously bored with the LG g3.... Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome phone.... But I need a change... I won't go back to blackberry after their fiasco with the 2 playbooks I have at home.... When is the windows event for Windows phone? 😊

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I needed a new phone a few months ago and went with the Lumia 830. It had most of what I had on my old 920 and I liked the green color and it was available on AT&T. The phone is OK, but it never delighted me. Even on the first day. The screen was nice but not as good as I had expected, the camera was good but I thought my photos had a flatness to them I had not seen before. And there was the "resuming..." message that I saw over and over again. Turning on the phone, waking the phone, launching the camera, using the back arrow to return to an app, all of these lead to "resuming...."

I've read here and elsewhere about people in the US buying the 930 for use on AT&T or T-Mobile. Everyone said the same thing: no LTE but other than that, the 930 was the best Windows Phone experience possible outside of the giant 1520. I took the plunge and ordered a green 930 from a UK supplier through Amazon Prime. It came in three days and included earbuds and a UK AC plug along with a US converter. This big clunky rig will never be used because I've got several regular Nokia AC units around home if I need them, which I won't because there is wireless charging. I set up the phone and there were two updates waiting for me. When these were done I had Denim and the Lumia Camera 5 app.

For fun I started both the 930 and 830 from a shut down state to see what happened. The 930 started, ran around the block and had a snack before I saw the Start screen of my 830. That awful performance is what I had become used to. No more. I've used the 930 for three days at work now and haven't missed LTE once. Internet sharing works fine for me, but I've read that isn't true for some 930 users.

I know phones are now a commodity, a utility device that people toss with their keys and hand to their kids to keep them entertained. I get that, but I still want the device to delight me when I first experience it. The 830 didn't and never grew on me either. The 930 does. Microsoft may not be officially offering a true flagship in the US right now, but the 930 can be that device until something better comes along.

I totally get you. I just got a unlocked (orange) 930 off Swappa. And I LOVE IT! A little history. I've had the 810, Cyan 920 (Awesome), Yellow 1520 (Awesome!), and most recently Yellow 1020. I had to get out of my 1520 because it was just honestly a little to big for me after all. I loved loved it though. So I jumped down to the 1020 thinking I could handle the downgrade. OH boy was I wrong! I ran it for a week and then bought my 930 over the weekend. Did I mention it's running Denim?!

So I know this is still my first day but I have to say... this is truly the successor to the 920. I know the phone had some bugs to work out at first launch last summer/fall but at least on mine their fixed. No screen issues. Yeah the phone gets a little warm but not any warmer then my 920. In fact, it's been much less as I've been texting literally all morning. MMS is working... don't know about internet sharing yet (but if the former is working then this should be too). The screen is simply delicious! And the size is not to big (1520) and not to small (1020) for me. At first I was really hesitant because of the no LTE. But like you, my 3G HSP + or whatever its called is more then adequate (at least at home and work). Last, the quality build is superb. As much as I loved the 1520 I think the form factor here might be better. Plus, the form factor really compliments the form factor on my SP3. So geeked about this this!

I'll post a review after a week or so in the user review page.

WDavis4692

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
Might be a stupid question but why doesn't the L930 have LTE in US? I have it here in EU

Most of the American continent uses different LTE (4G) frequencies to the rest of the planet. Most commonly 700, 1700, 1900 for the major U.S. carriers. In Europe it's most commonly 800, 1800, 2600. As such, the 930, being a device not sold in America (you guys have the Icon instead) does not have the necessary chip to receive 4G in the U.S.

It's not just Americans, though. Many parts of Asia use different bands entirely, as well. This is the kind of thing that should have been standardized long ago. Certainly, it would make travelling internationally a lot easier today.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
Yup, I agree. I've had international unlocked phones (several) for a few years now and I'm on AT&T. None have gotten LTE including my current phone, "just" HSPA+, but that's more speed than I need. It's faster than my wifi internent at home.

:)
Fred

I thought I would miss the lte. But honestly I don't. My home and work wifi is just fine. On the go is good hsp+ too!

Axeelant

Nov 20, 2014
Visit site
Most of the American continent uses different LTE (4G) frequencies to the rest of the planet. Most commonly 700, 1700, 1900 for the major U.S. carriers. In Europe it's most commonly 800, 1800, 2600. As such, the 930, being a device not sold in America (you guys have the Icon instead) does not have the necessary chip to receive 4G in the U.S.

It's not just Americans, though. Many parts of Asia use different bands entirely, as well. This is the kind of thing that should have been standardized long ago. Certainly, it would make travelling internationally a lot easier today.

It really is stupid that those frequencies aren't the same arround the globe. Would be easier to use phones everywhere... Even the GSM probably differs a bit so the reception isn't good enough everywhere.. Just sad

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I agree. I've had international unlocked phones (several) for a few years now and I'm on AT&T. None have gotten LTE including my current phone, "just" HSPA+, but that's more speed than I need. It's faster than my wifi internent at home.

Fred

Yeah Fred...i remember your saying you moved from 930 to 830. u still using the 830?

At first I stated away from the 930 in part due to reviews like yours but ended up with it after all. I love it and haven't experienced any such issues. And I've used it heavily in the two days I've had it now.

Fred Wilson2

Aug 25, 2014
Visit site
I still have the L830, though it's been sitting in it's box now for a couple of weeks.
About 3 1/2 weeks ago, I got a new L920 after seeing some reviews and also some youtube videos comparing it, performance wise, to the 1520.
The 920 was actually faster than the 1520 on a lot of things, even though the 920 is much older and the 1520 having a much more "current" processor, etc.
The 920 simply runs circles around my 830, so I'll probably just sell the 830.
The 920 has been 100% flawless for the 3 1/2 weeks that I've had it now.

Fred

Yeah Fred...i remember your saying you moved from 930 to 830. u still using the 830?

At first I stated away from the 930 in part due to reviews like yours but ended up with it after all. I love it and haven't experienced any such issues. And I've used it heavily in the two days I've had it now.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Another 930 user on AT&T here, love it. For some reason I had to plug in an APN for MMS, I wonder if it has to do with which country variant you get (mines Thai). I can verify that internet sharing and visual voicemail work fine on mine with no tinkering. The only thing I've noted that is semi-annoying is that I've had three calls drop while driving. I'm guessing HSPA and HSPA+ don't smoothly transition for some reason. That or it's just coincidental or I have a funky radio, but its not been a real issue. I just wish it had glance, but my MS Band provides that for me as a workaround. :)

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I still have the L830, though it's been sitting in it's box now for a couple of weeks.
About 3 1/2 weeks ago, I got a new L920 after seeing some reviews and also some youtube videos comparing it, performance wise, to the 1520.
The 920 was actually faster than the 1520 on a lot of things, even though the 920 is much older and the 1520 having a much more "current" processor, etc.
The 920 simply runs circles around my 830, so I'll probably just sell the 830.
The 920 has been 100% flawless for the 3 1/2 weeks that I've had it now.

Fred

Nice. 920 still beast! Oh...u should try selling on Swappa. Way better then Ebay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3