Thinking about buying the Lumia 930

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I currently have a Lumia 720 and I really like Windows Phone.

I am considernig upgrading to the Lumia 930, or the next flagship device. My Lumia 720 has gotten really slow and I have tried a hard reset etc. At present, the loading and resuming screens are simplying spoiling the experience. I have also used a L830 and the number of times I experience loading and resuming has been significantly reduced, but not totally. I don't always have to have the latest and greatest and I have found a really good deal on a Lumia 930.

I can get the L930 for ?270. The next flagship will probably be ?400+.

My main concerns are as follows:
-Will the OLED display significantly degrade or burn-in over the course of 2yrs usage?
-Will the battery life be long enough for a full day of moderate usage with 3G/4G and Wi-Fi?
-What is the performance of the device like? Will I still experience resuming and loading screens with apps like Skype?
-Is now a good time to purchase a L930?

Also, would a L830 to suitable? I am concerned about the future performance of the S400, but it also has an IPS display so no burn-in or degradation over time?

I would appreciate your input.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

Last edited:

frankras

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I got the 930. Returned 2 off them..One was the display all ready burn-in and the other had heating problem. Went for the 830 and never looked back. Yes 830 is more slow than 930 but nothing I can complain about.

/Frank

heickelrrx

May 12, 2014
Visit site
1st may I ask if you get warranty of your 930. If you concern in devices life don't really think about it since you may change it after 3 years.

But concern this.
930 didn't have great battery life so don't expect the same situation as your 720.
It doesn't have sd card slot. You may need more storage
It not have glance which included on 830.

Don't take Skype apps as your performance parameter. The apps is outdated and come as integrated one on Windows 10.

I own 930 and find it really nice. Used over 6 month and have no issues so far. But if 830 is sold in my region I would get it over my 930.

Performance on Windows devices isn't really matter since the OS have an Unique memory and resource management

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I had a 930 for about 6 months. It was, quite simply, the best phone ever. Pictures were great, performance was smooth, and the screen was great.

As for burn-in, the answer is easy - don't leave the same screen on for extended periods. I see OLED screens with things like alarm clocks burnt in. I just can't understand this - the screen doesn't have to be on all of the time to have this work.

I will say that I've had probably 50 icons/930's pass through in the past year, and I've yet to see one with screen burn. I have seen a few for sale that were store demos, so they're burned in, because they sit with that same screen on constantly.

I have an 830 now (moved over due to lack of LTE support on 930), and it's a nice phone too. I don't have the lag you talk about, and I didn't have it with the 930 either. The 930 did get a little warmer under heavy use than the 830 does. Battery life is better on the 830, but it was good on the 930 also. I got through 24+ hours with the 930 under normal use, and I get about twice that, usually, with the 830.

Hope that helps. If I had LTE on the 930, I'd still have it. In fact, after about a month w/o it, I'm thinking of going back anyways, just because that was such an excellent phone.

b0nz1

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello Aaron,

let me answer some of your question, since in the answers above me there seems to be a lot of misconception.

It is hard to answer if the battery life is good enough for you. It certainly isn't the best of all devices out there but it is definitly better doing than the 920. Since your 720 is known for good battery life expect a bit lesser out of the 930 but it shouldn't be dramatically less.

The screen should be fine, also you shouldn't notice any degrade within 2 or 3 years since this process is very slow and gradually. If you don't get a defective unit there is no burn in. The same goes for the heating issue. My 930 never heats up excessivly under normal to heavy usage.

I am sure you already know there is no SD storage and glance screen. 32GB is plenty for most users.

Performance DOES matter on Windows Phone. The times where all Windows Phones were as equally fast in most tasks are long gone. The 930 is significally faster on almost every task you throw at it. Apps load faster, you never get so see the resume loading screen, the camera launches faster, the browser is a lot snappier, Apps work a lot faster. And most important: the phone feels actually faster.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
The battery life isn't amazing, so font think that keeping the screen on and taking pics with your data and WiFi on will Last you all day. The battery isn't horrible but it isn't the best.

Some apps will resume. This happens on nearly almost all windows phone. Not because of the phone in of itself but because of poor optimized apps and the OS. Not because of a lack of ram and slow hardware. Some things just aren't optimized to their full potential. However, on the 930, this doesn't happen very often. In fact, it barely happens and id it foes it isn't more than 3 seconds in my experience.

The phone is an awesome phone and knowing that it will take full advantage of the next OS upgrade and has a good 800 chip inside is something to think of. This phone is a beast and will be future proof for a while.

You shouldn't worry about screen burn in so much as this is hard to do in my opinion. Especially if your screen is set to turn off in a few minutes without use.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
Thank you to all for your input! I greatly appreciate it. :)

I have a few more questions:
-OLED displays user more power displaying white backgrounds. Should this be a concern? I frequently use apps such as IE, FB Messenger and Converge. All my other apps have a dark mode setting.

I don't use my phone all that heavily, just checking for email, new Facebook and Whatsapp messages and some light web browsing and news reading with Converge, News and Flipboard. Could I expect the phone to last the day? I usually just use it during the morning and evenings unless I get a notification. In fact, my L720 normally has 30-40% battery remaining at the end of a day.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

bradleymcc6

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
The white background issue shouldn't be a concern at all, but yes, the battery will last very slightly longer if it is only displaying black. As far as pricing goes, you can get a grade A one from CEX for around ?200, just have a shop around

Bronislav Klofac

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I've got 930 for five months never had any problems SKYPE works flawlessly. Sometimes warms up a bit when download something but no big deal for me. I would recommended that phone to anyone.

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I was actually thinking about selling my Lumia 1520 ( mint condition ) and getting The lumia 930 , i dont know what will i miss mostly but The Single Thing i am afraid off is the battery life ! Has anyone done this transition before ? What do you think ? Also what do you think about the battery lifeof the Lumia 930 ( any tip will be appreciated)

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well supposedly this week they'll unveil the new flagship at BUILD so I suggest waiting a bit and see if you want the 930 or the newer flagship. I mean if this new flagship is leaps and bounds better than the 930 then why not? I'm stuck with a Lumia 635 that I think has a modem issue (signal gets cut every few minutes no matter where I go in the city.) If the new phone shows a lot of improvements over the 930, then I'll buy it, if not. Well the 930 will be discounted when the new one goes on sale :p

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I was actually thinking about selling my Lumia 1520 ( mint condition ) and getting The lumia 930 , i dont know what will i miss mostly but The Single Thing i am afraid off is the battery life ! Has anyone done this transition before ? What do you think ? Also what do you think about the battery lifeof the Lumia 930 ( any tip will be appreciated)

Yes, I've seen a few users around the forums, that did just this. If you're going from the 1520 to the 930 then battery life will be an issue. Screen size and speed will also be an issue..

All I can say is, it will just take some time to get used to these issues and after that they won't even be issues lol

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I've seen a few users around the forums, that did just this. If you're going from the 1520 to the 930 then battery life will be an issue. Screen size and speed will also be an issue..

All I can say is, it will just take some time to get used to these issues and after that they won't even be issues lol

Oh god , i dont know i just wanted to get a smaller device but if SPEED and Battery will be sacrificed , I don't think im gonna take this step :(, any other advices ? Does anyone encourage me to switch from 1520 to 930 ?? And why ?

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Honestly... I would say stay with the 1520 :) unless you have an issue, with the size of the 1520, there is no reason to Sidegrade (lol)

The issues with speed and battery life are not drastic (you won't wait for 30 seconds, but 3-5 seconds). Some make a big deal about those few seconds.

Also some 930's have been known to get "hot", and those users had to return them. Again, not a big deal, but still a pain to go through the setup everytime

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind.. The 930 is a phenomenal device :) but you're coming from the 1520, so the difference will be noticeable

Tareq27

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Keep in mind.. The 930 is a phenomenal device :) but you're coming from the 1520, so the difference will be noticeable

Thx for the feedback ! I'm getting convinced more and more to keep my Lumia 1520 and maybe wait for the next flagship ( if WP Isn't dead by then ,lol )

iliramove

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I've got both devices.

Speed is the same on both. I am using the 930 as my daily driver because I can't live with the screen size of the 1520. Battery life is subjective. I can still last a 14-hour day on the 930, mainly using Whatsapp, FB, FB Messenger, 6tag, Tapatalk, some 2 hours browsing, 2 personal email accounts and the camera.

One thing to note, the 930 gets heat up and not so comfortable when used for a prolonged time (30minutes browsing without Reading mode).

My advice is to keep the 1520. I use mine solely for work and Enterprise email.

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site

How will speed be an issue if they both share the same amount of ram and the same processor along with the same OS ? This makes no sense.
If anything, the 1520 would lag as it has a bigger screen with more pixels for the processor and graphic chip to push.

AaronGraham

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Thank you all for your valuable input!

I will wait to see what/if MS announces anything regarding a flagship device at Build tomorrow/this week.

If there is nothing announced, I will decide to go with the L930.

Regards,
Aaron Graham.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3