How to test Lumia 930 microphones?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
hello!
I'm suspicious that the microphones of my 930 may not be working correctly. I read that it's possible to test them using Nokia Care Suite, but it keeps me showing an error when i try to put it in test mode: "Cannot locate proper test mode package for RM-1045 (from 0 available)". I tried some fixes but no luck, and also found this software a bit confusing to use. I'm on W10M 10586 and Nokia Care Suite is v5.6.134.1513. Any ideas on how to proceed with this test? Will it work with W10M?

eusty

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
I've never got the Care Suite to work on my 930 either.

The way to test it to try different scenarios which use the mics in different ways, record video, hands free, skype etc and see if all works well. Hands free completely failed on mine, so it went back for repair.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
I tried testing by recording a video, covering each mic and speaking some things, apparently they work fine. But people say my voice messages on WhatsApp are always hard to hear, even with headphones, and I spoke loud and clear. Problems with WhatsApp maybe? It's too bad I can't get Nokia Suite to work...

jeag888

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
You can download Lumia Phone Test Application 6.0.8 or 6.0.9 (google it, I can't post links here) and test the four microphones yourself.

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You can download Lumia Phone Test Application 6.0.8 or 6.0.9 (google it, I can't post links here) and test the four microphones yourself.

this software worked, it has all the tests. Thank you!

apparently sounds is ok on videos, but they don't come out on speaker calls and people can't hear me on WhatsApp voice messages, which is weird because they could before. Software bug maybe?

jeag888

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
this software worked, it has all the tests. Thank you!

apparently sounds is ok on videos, but they don't come out on speaker calls and people can't hear me on WhatsApp voice messages, which is weird because they could before. Software bug maybe?

if they can't hear you clearly, you might have the infamous secondary microphone malfunction,
to test that, record a video in landscape mode and download it to your computer, listen to it with headphones, are the left and right sound levels balanced?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
if they can't hear you clearly, you might have the infamous secondary microphone malfunction,
to test that, record a video in landscape mode and download it to your computer, listen to it with headphones, are the left and right sound levels balanced?

yep, i confirmed it has such malfunction. People can't hear me on speaker phone and WhatsApp voice messages. Realized videos don't have balanced audio as well. Sent it to the repair shop. It's the 3rd or 4th time i have to send a Lumia for repair; i'm disappointed with their lack of quality control. This is the main reason i might (reluctantly) leave the platform: their negligence with quality control and repair services (at least in my country).

anyway, thank you for your help! :amaze:

jeag888

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
yep, i confirmed it has such malfunction. People can't hear me on speaker phone and WhatsApp voice messages. Realized videos don't have balanced audio as well. Sent it to the repair shop. It's the 3rd or 4th time i have to send a Lumia for repair; i'm disappointed with their lack of quality control. This is the main reason i might (reluctantly) leave the platform: their negligence with quality control and repair services (at least in my country).

anyway, thank you for your help! :amaze:

You're welcome!. Sadly I have the exact same problem, the repair and guarantee in my Country sucks (Colombia), I've sent mine three times and they refuse to repair a similar mic issue (they are like robots "your phone approved all standard tests" etc etc), hope you get yours fixed tough!

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
You're welcome!. Sadly I have the exact same problem, the repair and guarantee in my Country sucks (Colombia), I've sent mine three times and they refuse to repair a similar mic issue (they are like robots "your phone approved all standard tests" etc etc), hope you get yours fixed tough!

I feel sorry for you, i thought it couldn't get worse than their services in Brazil. I sent my 830 3 times for repair. The worse time was when they simply reseted the phone and sent it back! They left a consumer of theirs without a phone for 2-3 weeks and sent it back with exactly the same issues. And 2-3 weeks again for the other occasions and once more now that i sent my 930. Anyways, if it comes back with the same issue i'll send it again and sell it when they return it (hopefully fixed) and buy an Android phone. I don't want to but this situations are a complete negligence of their part.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
guys I've 3 & 4 microphone issue....I don't want to give it to repair center as those guys doesn't handle mobile properly can I repair it my self??if yes how? if I successfully repaired it does that solve issue or it persist again ?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
guys I've 3 & 4 microphone issue....I don't want to give it to repair center as those guys doesn't handle mobile properly can I repair it my self??if yes how? if I successfully repaired it does that solve issue or it persist again ?

Wish i knew the answer. They sent me a note along with my phone that says "proximity sensor malfunction" as the issue and just "software update" as the solution. Confusing. I'm not sure what said sensor has to do with that mic and i tried all possible methods of resetting and updating.
Anyway they did repaired my phone and the mics work fine now, but they also scratched it in at least 4 different places during repair, including a horrible scratch on the SIM tray that no one bothered to change. So i understand your concern about bad repair centers.

Last edited:

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Originally posted by P1ng0fDeath
Originally Posted by gourav mopidevi

Wish i knew the answer. They sent me a note along with my phone that says "proximity sensor malfunction" as the issue and just "software update" as the solution. Confusing. I'm not sure what said sensor has to do with that mic and i tried all possible methods of resetting and updating.
Anyway they did repaired my phone and the mics works fine now, but they also scratched it in at least 4 different places during repair, including a horrible scratch on the SIM tray that no one bothered to change. So i understand your concern about bad repair centers.

So i guess its their usual job "scratching the sim card tray" mine also has lots of scratches on the tray and mine is black. Hmm what i noticed when i gave my phone in is the guy who was removing the sim from my phone used a screw driver first and then a knife to remove the tray instead of using nails :3 crazy people. It might happen same way while repair too.

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
So i guess its their usual job "scratching the sim card tray" mine also has lots of scratches on the tray and mine is black. Hmm what i noticed when i gave my phone in is the guy who was removing the sim from my phone used a screw driver first and then a knife to remove the tray instead of using nails :3 crazy people. It might happen same way while repair too.

update: just received two new microphone which I ordered on ebay,seller claim they are original unlike Chinese..some thing wrote on them unable to read as letters where very small...shall I take to local store or shall I try to repair my self.?

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Anyway they did repaired my phone and the mics works fine now, but they also scratched it in at least 4 different places during repair, including a horrible scratch on the SIM tray that no one bothered to change. So i understand your concern about bad repair centers.

WP_20160225_17_29_10_Pro.jpg

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site

Yep, talk about careless handling. I sent it back once more because i'm extremely careful with my phones. I can't accept the fact that someone else at a Microsoft REPAIR center damaged it :confused: and i'll eventually want to resale it for a decent price, precisely because of its good condition. Weird how they are so negligent repairing their own products. Is it really so hard to use the nails or something that won't scratch it?

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
update: just received two new microphone which I ordered on ebay,seller claim they are original unlike Chinese..some thing wrote on them unable to read as letters where very small...shall I take to local store or shall I try to repair my self.?

if you don't know how to do it, i wouldn't risk it. You may end up damaging the phone and voiding the warranty (if you still have it)

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
it doesn't have warranty in india but it's in warrant in hongkong :(....ya I don't have any idea :( there is no L930 microphone repair video so I saw couple of videos of s3 it looks easy,i don't have hot air blower that said after seeing this little microphones i'm confused to take risk or shall I take it to local(third party) repair center ?

danielgr

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
it doesn't have warranty in india but it's in warrant in hongkong :(....ya I don't have any idea :( there is no L930 microphone repair video so I saw couple of videos of s3 it looks easy,i don't have hot air blower that said after seeing this little microphones i'm confused to take risk or shall I take it to local(third party) repair center ?

Have the same problem, live in Japan and Microsoft does not offer any repair centers here, so I can only do it myself.
Looking to e-bay there are many microphones, so I have two questions for you:
1. Which one you bought, and how to identify 3rd and 4th?
2. Did you manage to repair it, where did you look for the information?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

gourav mopidevi

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
Have the same problem, live in Japan and Microsoft does not offer any repair centers here, so I can only do it myself.
Looking to e-bay there are many microphones, so I have two questions for you:
1. Which one you bought, and how to identify 3rd and 4th?
2. Did you manage to repair it, where did you look for the information?

Thanks in advance,

Daniel

don't do it yourself.
1) I don't know how to identify....i'm still in trouble :( I got two original mic(nokia care guy conformed).
2) partially..before repair: on windows 10: no sound for recorded video(playback),while on call if we use loud speaker other end can't hear us,no voice recording.....after repair: on windows 10: can hear sound for recorded video(playback) but only on right side(I mean if we playback recorded video using headset only right ear can hear sound where as on left it's mute), still other end can't hear my voice,no voice recording.

there are four mic: front bottom and back bottom are flex mic, front behind ear plug and back top are on board mic....I changed both on board mic according to nokia service guy he say one of the new mic is broken...according to one guy or some fellows ( both on board mic's are 3 & 4) and both flex mics are 1 & 2..after repair I think 3 mic's are working where as one doesn't I don't know which one is culprit...Lumia test application just waste before repair it said 3 & 4 are fault after repair it says same pheww.
some how I want to check:
1) are two flex mic are fine?
2) does one of two new mic is broken?
that's where I stuck right now..
below images are from other users who claim they know which one is culprit.
untitled k.pnguntitled.pngClipboard.png

I bought mic through ebay from *life*is*fine*(seller) this seller sells genuine mic :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb