ICON Roll Call

robertc88

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
Got one yesterday in black from a local Verizon store. So far, so very good.

Looking forward to browse and contribute to the forum (but I'm a Windows Phone newbie so it will probably be more questions than anything at this point). :)

Steve Walden

Feb 28, 2014
Visit site
I bought the Icon on the first day it was available. It was my first phone on Verizon. I was moving from the 1020 on att which I loved. I can honestly say that I just about hate the Lumia Icon. Why you ask? Well, the phone itself is GREAT. The call quality is great, the batter life is decent, the screen is beautiful BUT, being on Verizon the call experience IS HORRIBLE!!! What do I mean? Well, in the past, on att and on the last 4 Lumia devices I have owned, if I am on a call and a second call comes in, I had several options which were "Answer, Ignore, Text reply, End+asnwer (which ended my current call and answered the incoming call). The End+answer button does not exist on the Verizon network. Wait, let me rephrase that, it does not exist on Windows Phone on Verizon because it DOES exist on the iPhone on Verizon and the Galaxy phones on Verizon but NOT on the Windows phone. Okay so, having said that, it get's worse. Let's say I tell call A to hold on a second while I answer call B. I hit answer, it puts call A on hold and takes me to call B. When I am done with call B, I hit end call and it ENDS BOTH CALLS. Then I just wait about 7 seconds and call A automatically calls me back. Of course it is very confusing for the person I just hung up on because their phone just starts ringing, as if they had just called me. FRUSTRATING!! Now, let's say I am on call A and Call B comes in and I want to take call B and let call A go. I tell call A, "hey I gotta take this call, I will talk to you later" and then hit ANSWER CALL to take call B. Even though call A has hung up, my phone still appears to show call A as being on hold! If I "Tap to swap" back to call A, the screen changes to show the name and number of call A but I am still talking to call B! It is mind numbing!! After extensive research, I have found that this issue seems to be specific to Verizon and seems to exist in ALL THEIR WINDOWS PHONES!!! My friend has the same issue on his 928 and 822 all ON VERIZON!

As if the above was not enough to make you want to pull your hair out, the Lumia Icon DOES NOT SUPPORT GLANCE!!!! Are you freaking kidding me? The new FLAGSHIP phone with top of the line specs CAN"T DO GLANCE!!! Even the 920 can do glance! When I contacted Nokia about why the Icon can't do glance, here is their response:

"We understand your disappointment with the support for Nokia Glance in Nokia Lumia Icon. In response to this, after checking the technical specifications of the said device model, we would like to inform you that Nokia Glance and double tap to wake are both unsupported due to display memory limitations."

Display memory limitations? WTF? The Windows phone experience is poorly represented on Verizon and I would go back to att in a heartbeat except for the fact that my company requires me to be on their Verizon plan. Verizon needs to get their act together on their Windows Phones ASAP or I am going to Droid!!

rhythmsyndicate

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I just received my White Lumia ICON this morning. I had it shipped priority overnight because I was so smitten by the overall package and understated design. My previous phone was the Lumia 920 on AT&T and since my wife dropped and destroyed her HTC 8X, I gladly gave my 920 to her just so I could get a new phone. My contract was up and I could've chosen the 1020, or the 1520 but the former was just about the same as my old 920 from a design standpoint besides the oreo lookin' camera hump and the latter was utterly too big for me after demoing it at the AT&T Store. Then I saw the announcement for the 929 (ICON) and I was immediately intrigued. Current flagship specs, 5 inch 1080 screen, and a very competitive camera along with a minimal industrial design sold me right away. The only things that made me hesitate were the fact that it was on Verizon and had no glance/double tap to wake feature. After days of research thanks to the guys and gals on this forum, and lots of internal debate with myself about how close the new batch of WP8.1 phones yet to be launched and how good they were going to be, I finally decided to pull the trigger on this phone. I mean, it was either that or get a Lumia 520 and wait a few months till the newer models arrived and I really hate downgrading even though the 520 was a adequate device, it wasn't going to be anywhere the ICON, or my old 920 for that matter. So in the end, I agreed on the Verizon Edge deal and plan on replacing the ICON after 6 months which is from what I've gleaned from articles such as the one from TheVerge and WPCentral comparing similar efforts from all four major carriers, was the best way to go about using a plan like that. I was curious if anyone else around here on this forum had done something similar, and what they planned on doing with the ability to get a new device every 6 months to a year. I haven't seen too many people sign up for those types of plans.

So far, after about 12 hours of use, I haven't found any defects or problems with mine. Its really a step above anything else on the Windows Phone platform in my opinion. Fit and finish is excellent as well as the quality of materials. It feels solid and substantial yet nimble enough for single hand use. The screen is very captivating. Everything is detailed and clear. The aluminum band surrounding the phone look very premium but the angular design has it digging into my hands slightly. I definitely feel like I've made the right choice and I can't wait until the new devices arrive so that can take advantage of future designs and features.

chaz2400

Jan 19, 2014
Visit site
Got my white Icon on launch day. I was totally stunned as the Verizon rep that assisted me in the store actually had a Windows phone himself and was telling other customers how great it was. I came from an 8X and am absolutely blown away by how awesome the Icon is. The screen is stunning, the camera is amazing, and the battery life is fantastic. I could not be happier.

Gadsden1405

Mar 4, 2014
Visit site
Picked up mine the day it came out. Verizon only received two phones! I was lucky and got the one black Icon. This is my first WP and I'm still adjusting. Overall, I love it. The OS has great potential... I came from a BlackBerry Q10, which I still own and will never get rid of, or my BB 9930. WP is a great alternative to iOS and Android. I'm looking forward to the 8.1 update...

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So close to jumping on the edge program yesterday to change from the 928. But after looking at it yesterday and playing with it, the dumb grey lines are dumb, thought they would light up or something and the buttons are too far out and sharp. That was really it. Looking to land work right now though and I may switch after that time.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
So close to jumping on the edge program yesterday to change from the 928. But after looking at it yesterday and playing with it, the dumb grey lines are dumb, thought they would light up or something and the buttons are too far out and sharp. That was really it. Looking to land work right now though and I may switch after that time.

I'm not sure what you're talking about...

lyrisist35

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
I must say that not having the Glance feature was not a real deal breaker for me. I also have the 928 that I allow my son to use, but it just doesn't bother me. I was disappointed that is wasn't going to be included, bit it didn't stop me from my purchase. The phone has a lot of other awesome features that kinda over shadow the Glance feature imo.

Sent from my RM-927_nam_vzw_100 using Tapatalk

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I have no idea what you are talking about lol

Starrbuck

Feb 18, 2014
Visit site
That makes a little more sense... He thought they would light up? Hah...

Buttons are too far out? I think they're great. I wouldn't want them to be any closer together.

Indeed, it seems like lighting them up would be a waste of battery. And I think he meant too far out as in sticking out sideways from the phone. I think they're just right.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
That's just me, didn't like the feel of them compared to my 928's buttons. The grey lines next to the headphone jack and charger makes no sense to have them there.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I traded my 928 for an Icon a few says ago. The only downside is the lack of Glance.

It has now been over a week since I got my Icon. It is by far the best phone I've ever owned. Previous phones I've owned being Palm Treo 755, BB Curve, BB Storm 2(worst one), Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Samsung Galaxy Note II, and Nokia Lumina 928 (2nd best).

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

We have know idea what you mean...

johnnyok

Mar 11, 2014
Visit site
Received my Icon yesterday and am more than happy with this windows phone. My last windows phone was the Omnia.....
The downside is Verizon ran out of accessories and changed my order so I have had to go online for a cover, charger and protector.
I am envious of the people who went to Microsoft and got a FREE Nokia DT-900 wireless charger plate....AND Verizon is out of
stock with them as well. Finally, glad to have found your site.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Received my Icon yesterday and am more than happy with this windows phone. My last windows phone was the Omnia.....
The downside is Verizon ran out of accessories and changed my order so I have had to go online for a cover, charger and protector.
I am envious of the people who went to Microsoft and got a FREE Nokia DT-900 wireless charger plate....AND Verizon is out of
stock with them as well. Finally, glad to have found your site.

Glad to have you here! Let us know if you have any questions. Omnia was a long time ago.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte