Wi-Fi with IPv6 issue fixed

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
<TLDR Version>If you have issues with Wi-Fi on your Lumia Icon, make sure IPv6 is disabled on your router.</TLDR Version>

I upgraded to WP8.1 on the first day it was available but noticed that I was having major Wi-Fi issues such as horrible performance and limited mode. I was not having issues on any other devices so I used the Nokia tools to roll back to WP8.0.

I continued having issues on WP8.0 but it was mostly horrible performance and not limited mode or anything like that.

That is when I remembered that my company's IT group recommended enabling IPv6 to resolve a Windows DirectAccess issue around the same time as I upgrade my Icon. Disabling IPv6 on my router immediately resolved my issues and I've since upgraded back to WP8.1 with great performance.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just enabled IPv6 on my router and my performance seemed to improve. On all devices. What was your IPv6 settings? I'm set to Auto Detect and not having any problems.

Sean Stanley

Nov 7, 2013
Visit site
Well that didn't work. My WiFi has disappeared on me twice today. Shows as unavailable even if I'm right next to my router. Then if I turn my WiFi off, it wont turn back on until I power off and on. sigh.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Well that didn't work. My WiFi has disappeared on me twice today. Shows as unavailable even if I'm right next to my router. Then if I turn my WiFi off, it wont turn back on until I power off and on. sigh.

How many other Wi-Fi networks are in your area (within 100 yards)? What type of router do you have? Is it a dual band (2.4/5.8GHz) router? If it is, enable the 5.8GHz band and try again. I had similar issues a while back when we moved into our house about 8 months ago. There are 17 other 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n networks within a 100 yard radius of my house. I was having major connection problems until I upgraded to a dual band router. I have the only 5.8GHz Wi-Fi in that 100 yards and all of my connection problems went away.

danwanna

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine is still going strong with IPv6 disabled. I found a few other posts complaining about the same thing with other Nokia Lumias. I think in my case it was because my ISP doesn't really support it yet, so your mileage may very.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Mine is still going strong with IPv6 disabled. I found a few other posts complaining about the same thing with other Nokia Lumias. I think in my case it was because my ISP doesn't really support it yet, so your mileage may very.

Interesting. I enabled IPv6 and I seem to be getting better performance. I know TWC (my ISP) doesn't support it. Very odd.

Shaun Parfett

Nov 28, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much for your posting. Turning off IPV6 on my router solved the problem with my Nokia Lumia 735 (Windows Phone 8.1) and Office 365. Office 365 mail would synchronise extremely slowly or not at all. Office 365 on iPhone and Android had no such problems. Funnily enough, Outlook.com email., Windows Phone apps, internet access, etc., all worked perfectly, it was just an Office 365 email problem with IPV6. I am trying to justify that clients should move to O365 and Windows Phone, so getting this issue sorted was very important! It's a bit daft that this problem exists at all. It does not help the adoption of Windows phones...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb