Glass Screen Protector

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
Do you think a manufacture will ever make a glass screen protector for the Nokia lumia Icon? I really like them, I've seen one on a note 3 and it is nice to protect your phone and have the glass feel at the same time. Or do you think it might never happen since the glass on the phone is a little curved?

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they are out there. You can pick up a pack of three from a Verizon store. Though, I stopped using it after a few weeks. The type they sell are "anti scratch", which means they had a slightly tacky rubbery feeling.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Oh. I didn't know they existed. I know Otterbox's Defender series has a built in screen protector, but it's plastic. Wouldn't that extra glass just add a bunch of weight and reduce the sensitivity of the touch screen?

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Yes, they are out there. You can pick up a pack of three from a Verizon store. Though, I stopped using it after a few weeks. The type they sell are "anti scratch", which means they had a slightly tacky rubbery feeling.

FWIW ... Initially, when I got my ICON the sales person put on the screen protector you are referring to ('tacky rubbery feeling'). Later that night, I removed it. A couple of days later, I went back to the same VZN store to get a refund on the 3 pak. However, a different sales person stated the 'original sales person should not have used that protector'. So, she got a completely different 3 pak out of stock, and custom trimmed it to fit the phone exactly - it was sort of a 'generic' protector - could fit many phones.. The new screen protector is almost like glass ... VERY smooth, not tacky ... and Good To Go.

===

vepac

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I like the vzw screen protector they made for the icon. But if a glass one was available I would get it. And no, it doesn't interfere with the sensitivity of the screen or add extra weight since it is thin.

Posted via the WPC App for Android!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
FWIW ... Initially, when I got my ICON the sales person put on the screen protector you are referring to ('tacky rubbery feeling'). Later that night, I removed it. A couple of days later, I went back to the same VZN store to get a refund on the 3 pak. However, a different sales person stated the 'original sales person should not have used that protector'. So, she got a completely different 3 pak out of stock, and custom trimmed it to fit the phone exactly - it was sort of a 'generic' protector - could fit many phones.. The new screen protector is almost like glass ... VERY smooth, not tacky ... and Good To Go.

===

Really? What is the brand?

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
If the screen is curved I wouldn't count on getting a cover made from glass. The guys from PureGuardz tried making one for the 920 last year and couldn't do it. They make one for the iPhone that's fantastic. Lots of us contacted them on Facebook and Twitter, and they even posted on the WP Central forums to gauge interest. After a while they happily reported that they were going to make one, but finally came back and said they couldn't do it because of the curved glass.

I waited and waited for that thing and never did get a screen protector. I wish I had. My screen now has lots of tiny hairline scratches, and the oleophobic coating is seriously worn away. :(

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Here is the info on the package of the screen protector I have now:

Front
Verizon (Brand)
"Display Protector 3- Pak"
"fits/para Most Phones and Smartphones"
"Anti Scratch"

Back - above bar code:
UNIV3PKS1
Barcode: 8 46629 00001 0

=======
Thanks a bunch! I'll check out the VZW store here and see if I can find them, and then hopefully the sales person is able to put them on properly.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Thanks a bunch! I'll check out the VZW store here and see if I can find them, and then hopefully the sales person is able to put them on properly.

Not all sales people are created equal ... like the guy who sold me the phone and put on the bogus sticky protector. Note that with - this protector above - it needs to be custom cut to the Icon ... but no big deal.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Not all sales people are created equal ... like the guy who sold me the phone and put on the bogus sticky protector. Note that with - this protector above - it needs to be custom cut to the Icon ... but no big deal.

Worst case scenario, I buy it at Verizon and take it to the local Microsoft store and ask them to apply it. I've had better experience with the Microsoft store reps than VZW store reps.

upnort

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I agree with the curved screen being an issue for the glass screen protectors. I used the Spigen protector for my Note 2 and loved it. I just don't think it would be possible.

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
Worst case scenario, I buy it at Verizon and take it to the local Microsoft store and ask them to apply it. I've had better experience with the Microsoft store reps than VZW store reps.

Interesting. I recently read several reviews of local Microsoft stores ... keying in on smartPhones in particular ... reviews of sales peeps only so so ... more or less 50/50 like / no like :-(

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm in Hawaii and the Microsoft Store in Honolulu is less than a year old. So the reps may have more updated training. Also customer service here in Hawaii seems to be generally better across the board. It's probably because it's a tourism based economy here. Hawaii is steadily moving away from sugar and pineapple based economy towards a tourism based economy. Which will come back to haunt them I think.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss