Perhaps the ICON just has NOT sold well - completely missing from this AdDuplex Sept 24th Report?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
They will always have exclusive varients because of their cdma radios. Noone else In the world uses that standard.

No quite a true statement. CDMA is used in several other countries. The problem is that you can't take a phone from one CDMA network and use it on another. THAT is why they are called, "locked" phones.

JamesPTao

Sep 8, 2013
Visit site
No quite a true statement. CDMA is used in several other countries. The problem is that you can't take a phone from one CDMA network and use it on another. THAT is why they are called, "locked" phones.
Example please. And any locked phone, at least in the us, can be unlocked once the contract is over. And if it is bought outside of carrier it comes unlocked typically.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Example please. And any locked phone, at least in the us, can be unlocked once the contract is over. And if it is bought outside of carrier it comes unlocked typically.

Here you go: List of CDMA2000 networks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

CDMA needs a key specific to the carrier that is baked into the firmware. So therefore, a Sprint CDMA phone will not work with Verizon, even if Sprint "unlocked" it. Verizon would need to load its firmware onto the phone; and if Verizon doesn't support that phone then you can't use it on its network. GSM/LTE is what is considered "unlocked." If the phone is capable of accessing the frequencies used by a carrier, all you need is a new SIM and you are up and running on a new network.

LTE is a direct descendent of GSM and in some places uses the same frequencies as GSM, therefore all GSM and LTE phones are unlocked. The only limitation is frequency access. That is why the Icon can use GSM and HSPA+ on AT&T and T-Mobile, but not LTE, because AT&T and T-Mobile have different LTE frequency bands than Verizon.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, within another week, we should see a new round of AdDuplex and other reports. What still surprises me is that Microsoft "Windows Phone management" issued a furry of reports about Cyan near the end of September - causing the Blogosphere to run articles that 50% of Windows Phones were now being pushed "Cyan" ... and cited Europe and Asia/India as well.

THEN, for the last 3 weeks ... near nothing? Anyone think they know WHY?

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
It sounds like Verizon sold the Icon in selective stores. I say this because what everybody here has said it, in one way or the other , some store had no idea there was a Icon, while others stores have stock , and are displaying and trying to sell them. while other store had little or no stock and put them aside, so the scenario goes, if the icon didn't sell to Verizon satisfaction. it would be easy to drop the line because they don't have all that inventory in the other stores. on the other hand if it sold well, then they order more stock for the other stores. the Htc 8x comes to mind they still have stock and sell them in the stores, and they just didn't sell like they hoped.
The 930 and the Icon have good praises on this site and others , so it doesn't seem to be a hardware problem.

anywhereanytime

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
What still "does NOT compute" is that Microsoft has mode "zero public or private comments", considering that Verizon is the largest US carrier and Windows Phone is STILL struggling to gain a foothold!

Come on Microsoft ... what's going on?

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The silence has lawyer BS written all over it. If someone gets fired, no one is allowed to talk about it. I see this as the same thing. Keep quiet or else we'll kill ALL windows phones type thing.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I have a feeling Nokia/Microsoft gave Verizon the Icon as an exclusive, just to get them to carry it in their stores. It didn't sell, so Verizon **** canned it.

People are bashing Verizon for wanting exclusive rights to the device, but this might have been all Microsoft's idea to begin with. They're Americas largest carrier, so I can understand why Microsoft would approach them.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I still say that legally the Icon/929 is not a 930 and therefore they could give Verizon the exclusive and sell the 930 on AT&T and get away with it. The reverse was certainly true. The 920 was AT&T exclusive and they made the 925 for T-Mobile (which came back to AT&T anyway) and the 928 for Verizon (which needs a special CDMA exclusive phone anyway)

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
the 929 not the same phone as the 930, The 929 is LTE 4G on Verizon with wireless charging where as the 930 only get 3G on Verizon, and no wireless charging. it may have the same engine in it, but totally two different phones as far as I am concerned. I am on Verizon I wanted the Lumia 830 but it will only get 3g no LTE 4g., only option was the Icon, SE , or M8, so I got the Icon for the grate camera and wireless charging.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
the 929 not the same phone as the 930, The 929 is LTE 4G on Verizon with wireless charging where as the 930 only get 3G on Verizon, and no wireless charging. it may have the same engine in it, but totally two different phones as far as I am concerned. I am on Verizon I wanted the Lumia 830 but it will only get 3g no LTE 4g., only option was the Icon, SE , or M8, so I got the Icon for the grate camera and wireless charging.

The 930 has wireless charging. The only difference is the radios.

GoJays

Oct 2, 2014
Visit site
Perhaps they will get rid of the 928 once they sell their remaining stock. Or it could be cheaper to make and the margins are better with the 928. Who knows. If I was placing a bet, I'd take the former.

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
The 929 is a 930 with an additional radio for Verizon's antique CDMA network. It also has special firmware required to make the CDMA work on Verizon. I don't see how you could get a 930 to work on Verizon except maybe LTE only (which probably means no phone calls) I've heard that the 1520 doesn't work at all on Verizon even though it has the right LTE frequencies. Its probably rejected by the network do to lack of basic phone service.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
930 and icon are the same in the same way the AT&T iPhone 6 and Verizon iPhone 6 are the same. The 930 however, can not connect to any of Verizon's networks

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just an FYI. I was at the Microsoft Store here in Hawaii getting a glass screen protector for my SP3 and I asked about the Icon being retired. The rep I spoke to (who is a manager and talks to corporate a lot) flatly denied that the Icon is retired. She doesn't know why Verizon is saying it is. But it is stilt available through MSFT.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I was in best buy yesterday looking for a case for my Icon, but every display in there was IPhone, not one Nokia, or Microsoft display other than one shelf for Windows software. so I walk though the mall to the cell phone case display, guess what they sell ? nothing for Nokia/Microsoft , but she had a belt case that fit the Icon, so I bought it before someone would tell me I couldn't use it for my Icon.. LOL
Microsoft needs to put display in the stores, Tv adds are not enough.
Thank goodness there is Amazon / Ebay.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos