Tired of waiting... going to 8.1DP...

dki378

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
So as the title suggests, I'm tired of waiting for the official 8.1 update so I'm going to take the plunge and upgrade to 8.1DP. I have one basic question which I haven't found an answer to but when upgrading to 8.1DP, does your phone get wiped clean of apps, pics, vids, etc? Also, if I decide to revert back (via Nokia Software Updater), will my phone get wiped clean then? Thanks in advance. I can't wait to try out 8.1 and all it has to offer!!!

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Your phone does not get wiped clean when using DP.

If you use the Software Recovery Tool, then yes, your phone gets wiped clean. It's more thorough than a hard reset.

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I just installed it the other night. The only issue I ran into was my calendar would crash. It would try to load and then kick me back to the home screen. It did still show appointments in the live tile and on the lock screen, it just wouldn't load the app. I messed with it a bit and just did a hard reset.

mcardrumr

Oct 24, 2014
Visit site
I got tired of waiting too so I took the plunge a couple of days ago. It went pretty smooth and after it did its thing, all my apps were there, as well as pictures and videos. I had to "re-setup" some account links and re-opt-in here and there. Also, this morning it would not recognize any wi-fi access points but after removing my Wi-Fi router from the "managed" list, and a couple of soft-resets (and changing my wi-fi channel to 11 based on an earlier recommendation I read) all is well again.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I waited for months for an update or any news of an update but received nothing from Verizon

I figured since there is no concrete proof out there that we are even going to get cyan/denim/8.1 I might as well use the DP with black because this might be as good as the WP experience will get using a Icon on Verizon's network

after installing the DP first thing I did was a hard reset>>updated>>installed apps>>turned off some background processes and now the phone works well with ok battery life even with the black firmware

the only real annoyances are the slow startup hitting the power button and the WiFi going haywire every once in awhile but a soft reset takes care of those issues in my experience when using the DP for the last couple of weeks

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the only real annoyances are the slow startup hitting the power button and the WiFi going haywire every once in awhile but a soft reset takes care of those issues in my experience when using the DP for the last couple of weeks
You might want to check Tetra lockscreen. On my icon, the lag time of hitting power button and getting lock screen is gone when I installed Tetra locksreen !! Yes, It works with me, may / or may not work on your phone, but you can try. I disabled location update on Tetra LS and rest of it work pretty good for my icon.

Aaron Yawn

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Ssapre- I do not believe the delay actually goes away when using different lock screen apps. For example I used MS beta lock screen, instead of delaying with black screen it would instead prevent inputs. This of course is caused by Wi-Fi being on, from everything I can tell. When I turn Wi-Fi off I get no delay issues. This also wild be fixed with a Verizon cyan update release!!! 😁

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I can understand that real cause is something diff and Cyan can fix that. MS Lockscreen beta didnt do anything good for me, but thats what I am surprised with Tetra Lockscreen. It works good with wifi ON for me at least since last 4 days without wifi off or reset!!

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The funny thing is I thought my power button was acting up at first. I had not come across that as an issue with the DP. It is just a few seconds, but still annoying.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I like Tetra LS, but it causes my batt to drain and the phone to heat. I didn't notice it earlier, because of my terrapin cover (l925). And to the OP, everyone here has answered your question, so I don't need too. The only reason you didn't find anything is because there is nothing to worry about. Some have said DP might void your warranty, but if you need to go to the store for any reason, you can simply remove the app. Some users have even reported going to the store with the app still installed and still getting helped :)

Bodeanicus

Banned
Sep 14, 2014
Visit site
I waited for months for an update or any news of an update but received nothing from Verizon

I figured since there is no concrete proof out there that we are even going to get cyan/denim/8.1 I might as well use the DP with black because this might be as good as the WP experience will get using a Icon on Verizon's network

after installing the DP first thing I did was a hard reset>>updated>>installed apps>>turned off some background processes and now the phone works well with ok battery life even with the black firmware

I think there is a WiFi driver problem with Verizon phones and the DP. My 822 will get very hot while browsing or downloading anything. It also goes through battery very quickly while doing the same. Unless the elusive Cyan fixes, at least offers some relief, I'm just going to stay on 8. Folders and a voice assistant I never use just aren't worth half the battery life.

richard L

Oct 28, 2014
Visit site
I got my Icon few days ago knowing that it will be retired. I installed 8.1 DP and so far I haven't encountered any problems. I really like it so far. No over heating and no lock screen lock up.

Steven Land

Oct 30, 2014
Visit site
I too am sick of waiting for Verizon to push the Windows Phone 8.1 update and after reading the news about the Icon being retired... I too decided to take the plunge and install the 8.1 DP.

After installing the Windows Phone 8.1 DP, I did have the Cortana not loading issue, where she says "It's taking me longer than i expected to calibrate things to my satisfaction. You can try again now or come back later." I also had issues synching Hotmail and downloading my apps.

I followed the forums.windowscentral.com Error Code 80070005 thread which describes the exact same issues I was having and the reccomended solution.

Resetting the phone worked for me. Now my Hotmail is synching, Apps are downloaded and Cortana is working great. So far, I have not noticed any major power drain on my battery. I plan to run the 8.1 DP on my phone for a week and then unless there are any show stopping issues, install it on my wifes Icon too. :excited:

dki378

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
So I did it and so far so good. I'm really liking it. One quick question though, where did the background apps section go or did it get removed? Is there anything that should be disabled or turned off to streamline the experience? Thanks for the feedback.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
So I did it and so far so good. I'm really liking it. One quick question though, where did the background apps section go or did it get removed? Is there anything that should be disabled or turned off to streamline the experience? Thanks for the feedback.

Its under battery saver in the app list.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3