What has everyone's experience been with the Icon with Developer Preview?

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering jumping to Verizon, and I'm not necessarily in love with the HTC One M8. I also don't want to go back to my pre-Cortana life. How stable/usable is the Lumia Icon with Developer Preview installed?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering jumping to Verizon, and I'm not necessarily in love with the HTC One M8. I also don't want to go back to my pre-Cortana life. How stable/usable is the Lumia Icon with Developer Preview installed?

It's stable on the Icon. You just won't have the Cyan firmware until Verizon releases (or approves the release of) it. The difference between the WP8.1 on the M8 and DP is the M8 is two (three?) updates behind. So if you are planning on getting the Icon and installing WP8.1 then go for it.

HarrBear

Oct 10, 2014
Visit site
I'm using the 8.1 DP right now and it's very stable. I was having the lagging issue when I went to wake up my phone, but that went away with the last update. Cyan/Denim will be nice to have when we get them, but this is more than fine for now.

chrisdaboss

Jan 14, 2014
Visit site
It's way better than 8.0 as far as features go. Notification center, folders, pull down menu, etc... as stated by other posters the battery life decreases, and has been decreasing faster for me lately at the end of the day I plug my phone at like 15%, hopefully cyan will fix that , wake button lag, takes like 2-3 seconds to unlock but corrects itself after a while its been on. Wifi is inconsistent on the Icon on DP, not with just my network other people's network too. Lastly, random reboots. I experience them too much on the DP, sometimes it'll just keep rebooting until you touch the screen. In the end, the features outway the cons, I've been on it since it came out and didn't want to rollback.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Dp is good on the icon. Battery life won't be as good, but not bad enough to make me go back to 8.0

Even then results may vary. It ultimately will come down to your usage. Some days I get decent battery life, others, not so much.

But, DP is great and I would not go back to 8.0 unless I absolutely have too...like hell freezing over.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I echo the above post and would never go back to 8. I had the 8.1DP on my icon as soon as it was available and used it at least six months before selling the icon in favor of the M8. My icon was awesome running the preview. Battery life was near the same as before. The WiFi I found unlike most others was not an issue, maybe my router, I don't know, but while the WiFi bars were down a couple, I never lost signal. I only used WiFi at home tho. The biggest plus for me as Cortana was not a huge deal was the on screen live folder tile and also the ability for much, much better IMO, home screen customizations. Again, IMO only, the start screens on 8 were just plain boring. I'd never go back to 8. No way, no how. Fortunately my M8 came with it preloaded. Sweet!

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
My brother has an icon and developer preview has killed it's Wi-Fi. His room is 2 walls behind the router and on stock 8.0, it had a full signal in that room. Now it only has 1 bar and sometimes it does not connect at all. The other problem is the lag when waking the phone up from sleep. My 2 cents: Stay away from Verizon. They have abandoned the icon and are painfully slow in getting out updates. Get a 1520.3 instead and you'll be free to switch between AT&T or T-Mobile.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
My brother has an icon and developer preview has killed it's Wi-Fi. His room is 2 walls behind the router and on stock 8.0, it had a full signal in that room. Now it only has 1 bar and sometimes it does not connect at all. The other problem is the lag when waking the phone up from sleep. My 2 cents: Stay away from Verizon. They have abandoned the icon and are painfully slow in getting out updates. Get a 1520.3 instead and you'll be free to switch between AT&T or T-Mobile.

I'd consider that, but at the moment, AT&T and T-Mobile don't have especially great coverage in Eastern Washington. It's either Verizon or having no service when I'm 10 miles out of town.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If the camera is the only thing you don't like about the M8 you may want to at least give it a look. I will say the cam is the only thing I miss from the icon but the rest of the goodness easily offsets the lacking cam. Also, depending on how you need to use it, it's not as bad as everyone says, IMO. Good light shots are fine. posting to social sites who needs a top notch cam for that anyway? the battery on the M8 will go all day and then some. Speakers are great, everything else is as good or better than the ICON. Have you had a chance to try it besides in store? Just don't be dismissive about it without fully checking it out. For some reason it has gotten a lot of bad accolades that put it in a bad light. Anyway it's worth a good close look.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
If the camera is the only thing you don't like about the M8 you may want to at least give it a look. I will say the cam is the only thing I miss from the icon but the rest of the goodness easily offsets the lacking cam. Also, depending on how you need to use it, it's not as bad as everyone says, IMO. Good light shots are fine. posting to social sites who needs a top notch cam for that anyway? the battery on the M8 will go all day and then some. Speakers are great, everything else is as good or better than the ICON. Have you had a chance to try it besides in store? Just don't be dismissive about it without fully checking it out. For some reason it has gotten a lot of bad accolades that put it in a bad light. Anyway it's worth a good close look.

I'm more just not a fan of the form factor for entirely subjective reasons. I had bad luck with an old HTC Rezound that got an update and then died forever. I've also been unable to see the Windows Phone version in action, since BOTH floor models are the Android one.

Yes, including the one next to the sign for, "HTC One M8 for Android."

I'm also kind of a Nokia guy, and don't necessarily like the way it feels. Plus, camera button.

I tried out the camera on Android and that's one area I didn't have a complaint about.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
Lol, ok I hear the form factor being a subjective thing. Very true as I would consider the M8's shape a + over the icon, but purely my personal opinion. I'm a Nokia fan from way back as well and absolutely loved the icon but grew tired of the boxy, sharp corners rather quickly, but still liked the rest. After two days with the M8 I knew it was goodbye icon and sold it. I understand the Nokia fans completely as I am one as well, but don't limit myself to their devices exclusively. With Verizon you only get two choices and ones been retired. Good luck in your decision.

Darthbobcat

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks. Not even sure if I'm gonna switch anytime soon. I could just wait to see what Lumias come out for Windows 10. Or for the 830 to come out somewhere.

TLRtheory

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I got a lot of wake delay, overheating (which also caused battery drain) and delayed camera launches.

...I was willing to put up with the lack of LTE/MMS on AT&T, but all that was too much.

wstanton

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
Does Internet Sharing work w/ the Icon + 8.1 DP? (It didn't work when I tried it early on ... with the version of DP that bricked my first Icon.) [ed: Yes it does. I've reloaded the DP and am happier w it than before. ]

Last edited:

hepi

Mar 6, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, had Verizon activate my internet sharing yesterday and it works fine for me. Still have unlimited data and connected with my SurfaceRT.

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
There really isn't any getting around it other than asking Verizon to do it. They got in trouble with the FCC so they can no longer bully those of us who still have unlimited data.It's our data and we can do what we want with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3