Lumia Icon - How many of you have had "problems" ?

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
People really seem to appreciate my Verizon anecdote, so I'll just erase it and get to the question at hand:

How many people have had issues with their Icon on DP 8.1 and how severe would you say the issues are? My friend is looking to get the Icon to replace her 928.

Last edited:

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Why man, why? This question should be locked before it gets off the ground. Not because YOU had a problem but because you want to argue the point of a Verizon rep made you already claim you don't accept. You picked off the obfuscation and I appreciate that but that ain't enough. You got to verify what you already determined to be a BS call.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Why man, why? This question should be locked before it gets off the ground. Not because YOU had a problem but because you want to argue the point of a Verizon rep made you already claim you don't accept. You picked off the obfuscation and I appreciate that but that ain't enough. You got to verify what you already determined to be a BS call.

What are you going on about? I felt that it was fishy, especially as the rep followed his statement up with "I just found out today." That seems convenient. I don't tend to trust sales reps, so I wanted to get some feedback from the users before I report back to my friend. I have no personal vendetta against Verizon (I'm not even in the US right now!), but I would genuinely like to know what people think of the Icon with 8.1 DP. If you don't want to help me, then sit down.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I can tell you this. I used two Icons and both had wi-fi issues with DP. After a reboot, it worked for a day or two, on the same network, then you would look at the settings and it would not be able to find the access point. A reboot corrected this. My wife has an Icon but I'm not sure it's a problem on hers. Yes, I had the delay turning it on too; not all the time but sometimes. Also, the battery on WP seemed to be less than official 8. I don't know what to tell you except don't pay a lot for an Icon. The HTC is the only Verizon phone that has 8.1 and its' nice, but camera is not as good as Icon. Otherwise, it's better in most ways. The Samsung is surprisingly good, but not well-known. But, it doesn't have 8.1 official and has problems with the DP.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I honestly haven't had any problems aside from the wake delay when its connected to WiFi. Since that was introduced in the DP, will be holding out hope its a mismatch between the OS and FW and Cyan will correct it. WiFi itself is fine for me - I haven't had any problems with it home or work or the other 3 or 4 places I connect.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I'd say for your friend to just not use the developer preview :p The official Cyan will be coming, patience is just required. The Icon is a gorgeous device, and shouldn't have its performance ruined by the Developer Preview.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I didn't have WiFi issues until the most recent Developer Preview update. Since then, my WiFi connectivity has been horrendous. Soft resets aren't really making a difference either. I'd be surprised if Cyan didn't remedy all WiFi problems. The problem is simply a lack of updated firmware (Cyan).

You're getting heat for this thread because it's a leading question. Not only that, but it's been posed multiple times before. If you want answers to a question phrased like this, just go to the bugs & defects page. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/265196-nokia-lumia-icon-bugs-defects.html

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I didn't have WiFi issues until the most recent Developer Preview update. Since then, my WiFi connectivity has been horrendous. Soft resets aren't really making a difference either. I'd be surprised if Cyan didn't remedy all WiFi problems. The problem is simply a lack of updated firmware (Cyan).

You're getting heat for this thread because it's a leading question. Not only that, but it's been posed multiple times before. If you want answers to a question phrased like this, just go to the bugs & defects page. http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-icon/265196-nokia-lumia-icon-bugs-defects.html

I don't really see how it's a leading question... I don't even live in the US anymore, so I don't really give a damn about Verizon. I use an old 820. I just wanted to help my friend out.

Sorry I offended people?

djarchow

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I bought a used Icon about a month back and loaded DP. I moved to the Icon from a Note 2 which I had zero problems with other than I wanted to try windows phone. I have had a number of times where the Icon's suddenly shows a poor wifi signal but is still working. I have also had a couple times where it just won't see the wifi at all, even sitting right next to the router. A reboot has always fixed the problem.

With DP, boot up seems really slow, but just opening up from sleep has always been fast. Battery life on the Icon is fair, but not as good as I got with my Note 2, though to be fair, the Note 2 has a larger battery. I am also disapointed with how long some of the apps take to load. I see "resuming..." quite a bit but don't know if this is WP, the Icon, or how the apps were written.

Overall, it has been an OK phone so far. One of the guys that works for me has the HTC M8 android version and the hardware seems really nice. I have seen the pictures he takes with his phone and they look OK. He has had to replace the phone once already though because the camera autofocus was going bad (common problem)

feeked

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I have some serious wireless issues. The delay on waking isn't even that big of a deal. The past few months it seems like the delay only happens when the phone was recently rebooted.

The serious issue I do have is occasional extreme battery drain due to wireless. I still haven't been able to nail down what the exact scenario causes it, but my suspicion is that it's related to APs switching wireless channels. Like, I see it most often when I'm at work. We have multiple APs setup with the same SSID, but no RADIUS/handoff mechanism. I find that if I move around the office, and come back to my desk my phone will start draining at like 8% an hour rate while idle. If I disconnect the wireless and reconnect it sorts out.

I've been trying to figure out what exactly is causing it (I manage the APs), and recently I think I've found improvement by disabling the 2.4ghz on the router closest to my desk.

I don't know. Anyway, bottom line is that there are some serious ******* problems with wireless on the Icon.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
What are you going on about? I felt that it was fishy, especially as the rep followed his statement up with "I just found out today." That seems convenient. I don't tend to trust sales reps, so I wanted to get some feedback from the users before I report back to my friend. I have no personal vendetta against Verizon (I'm not even in the US right now!), but I would genuinely like to know what people think of the Icon with 8.1 DP. If you don't want to help me, then sit down.

What I said was all the help I got for you except that nobody trusts sales reps where this phone is concerned. And I offer this help sitting down.

OwenDL

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
The only real issue I've had is some Wifi problems, like the Icon not connecting to a network I know is active. Solved by a reboot, however. I think that is of course a fault of the DP, which, as others have said, anyone looking for a near-bug free icon shouldn't use.

Overall I love my Icon and am immensely happy with it, as it was my first Windows phone. I think it'd be a great investment for your friend.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
People really seem to appreciate my Verizon anecdote, so I'll just erase it and get to the question at hand:

How many people have had issues with their Icon on DP 8.1 and how severe would you say the issues are? My friend is looking to get the Icon to replace her 928.

I would think the real question is whether the person should buy a Lumia Icon. The answer is up to them but the fact that VZW has retired it, Amazon has stopped stocking it, the Microsoft Store seems to selling down remaining stock and it has not showed up in overstock/clearance sites, suggests to me that buyers should be cautious. Even the old 822 is still available through multiple channels. Long and short of it is, in my experience, when an item (phone or otherwise) drops out of retail channels quickly and does not show up on the clearance shelves that suggests there may be a reason for its status which the manufacturer is not going to discuss.

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I have offered help and so far all you've responded with is an unfriendly "sit down and shut up". I haven't been rude to you. But as I can see from the jump, you have an agenda.
... Exactly what agenda do I have? I would love to know. Then you can show me where you have been friendly because I don't see it.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

Yeah. I also have noticed my WiFi performance has not been as good on both the 2.4GHz and 5.8GHz bands. Cyan SHOULD remedy ALL of the firmware issues.

manders500

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Mine just started acting funny. I had it on the Nokia wireless charger for about an hour and when I took it off the phone was unresponsive and after 15 minutes of trying to wake it I did a hard reboot. Once it came back up I could not do anything with it. The screen was on but it did not respond to any touch and all of the buttons did not do anything. I rebooted again, which is the only thing it allowed me to do, and now I can use the screen but I cannot wake the phone and the buttons still do not work. Going to try a restore.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3