After half a year I stopped using a case.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
when I first got the Icon I thought the back was too slippery. I had dropped my previous phone twice and cracked the screen beyond usability, so I have been using the Icon with a (super thin) case every since I got it.

on a trip recently my case cracked, so I reluctantly left it at home and took the Icon by itself. to my surprise, I haven't dropped it or even come close in the two weeks since then. moreover, the phone feels just that much lighter and thinner. maybe it's because my iFriends are no longer cursed with postage-stamp-sized screens that I am more sensitive.

anyway, thought I'd pass on. should mention that I have the M$FT insurance so I can drop it a couple of times and get it replaced. I'll probably start using a case again after the first drop :)

Kasey Pierce

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm at a similar point. I've had the Icon since June and had dropped it a few time from 1 or two feet. The phone is just that much more heavy than other phones that it easily slides out of pockets. I do not like the look and feel of even the slimist cases. The phone just loses its design no matter what. I stopped using a case and have just been really careful with it since then. Have not dropped it or had any issues since then.

Marconis4

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
I buy cases for all of my devices and usually stop using them after a week. I hate them...even the "feather" cases are too bulky. I've dropped my Icon three times; all three drops were a result of sliding out of the pocket of my shorts from bending down to put a leash on my dog (lol). Minor dents in all corners.

link68759

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
In my martial arts class, my instructor gave me a knife. He told me to just handle it every day- toss it from one hand to another, throw it and catch it, continuously keep playing with it in your hands. It becomes familiar in your hands.

Same wisdom easily applies to phones and other small, expensive and breakable things you handle regularly. Stand over your bed or sit in a chair, and just toss your phone from one hand to another, throw it up in the air and catch it, flip it over continuously with one hand, etc. Practice dropping it and then catching it midair- catch it with your hand and wrist at different angles, catch it with the phone falling in different orientations. Do this until you feel comfortable handling it while walking, but don't leave a carpeted area until you're sure you know the weight, the friction, its natural momentum as surely as your fingers know their way around a keyboard (if you're a terrible typist then imagine I said something you can relate to :)

I routinely fidget with my phones. I throw it around while talking to friends, walking along concrete. I just do this so instinctively it only takes me a week to break into a new phone. I don't use a case. I don't drop it.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
In my martial arts class, my instructor gave me a knife. He told me to just handle it every day- toss it from one hand to another, throw it and catch it, continuously keep playing with it in your hands. It becomes familiar in your hands.

Same wisdom easily applies to phones and other small, expensive and breakable things you handle regularly. Stand over your bed or sit in a chair, and just toss your phone from one hand to another, throw it up in the air and catch it, flip it over continuously with one hand, etc. Practice dropping it and then catching it midair- catch it with your hand and wrist at different angles, catch it with the phone falling in different orientations. Do this until you feel comfortable handling it while walking, but don't leave a carpeted area until you're sure you know the weight, the friction, its natural momentum as surely as your fingers know their way around a keyboard (if you're a terrible typist then imagine I said something you can relate to :)

I routinely fidget with my phones. I throw it around while talking to friends, walking along concrete. I just do this so instinctively it only takes me a week to break into a new phone. I don't use a case. I don't drop it.

interesting It never crossed my mind that if I did a juggling act with my phone it would make me less likely to drop it, I better make sure I have my total coverage phone insurance paid up before I try :wink:

I don't like cases much either but I use an incipio feather because even if I don't like the added bulk a case adds to my icon it would drive me more crazy if I had to look at dents and scratches on the corners of my phone every time I used it for the rest of my 2 year contract

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've dropped a couple phones and broken them (iPhone 3GS and Galaxy Nexus), but temporarily dealing with shattered screens is preferable to me than permanently dealing with phone cases.

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

In my marital arts class i get my wife mad at me, and i practice catching things she throws at me. I still use a case, but i drop my phone less.

puckrazy1

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

That's some cool stuff grasshopper. I'm not into martial arts, but I do go through a similar process. Its all about getting a good feel for the device and never letting your kids touch it.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I carried my 920 for two years without a case and it held up like a champ. I did however wimp out and put a thin case on my 1520. It was mostly to protect the camera lens that protrudes slightly from the back of the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism