Verizon Users - Anyone Thought of Moving To HTC One M8?

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I love my ICON but if you are like me, you've been itching for an upgrade. Has anyone been tempting to go with the HTC One M8? I have but I don't think I could give up my camera and Lumia apps. I like the Dot Case, especially the free XBOX case but I'm afraid I'll miss the camera.

bmetelsky

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I just switched from the icon to the M8 yesterday. I'm really glad that I did. It's a great phone. The camera was no big deal to me, so it made the decision easier. I'm going to give it a few more days and then post a review.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I just switched from the icon to the M8 yesterday. I'm really glad that I did. It's a great phone. The camera was no big deal to me, so it made the decision easier. I'm going to give it a few more days and then post a review.

Looking forward to your review...I do see where if the camera isn't a big deal for people, that this phone is great. Camera enthusiasts are staying put...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Preach.
SDefinitely wouldn't switch from an icon/1520 to an m8. Feels like a downgrade/sidegrade.

Thanks...just need to be patient and HOPEFUL Verizon will get another Flagship...I'd buy an unlocked phone of another model if they worked with Verizon which they really do not..

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
They're not going to get another flagship unless someone builds one.

I'm sticking with the Icon for now because the camera is important to me, but I've reached a point where I'm advising friends not to go this route. It's obvious that Windows Phone is only a priority outside of North America. You can easily invest in the MSFT ecosystem with Android or iOS and in many cases the apps are actually better than they are on Windows Phone.

Between Microsoft's silence and Verizon's arrogance, this platform is pretty much doomed in the US.

yihong kang

May 5, 2014
Visit site
I owned a M8 (android) before. The performance and battery life are very good. However, I really hate the slippery aluminum shell and the ugly "HTC logo bar" wasting space on the front. Because of the "HTC logo bar", it is as tall as lg g3, but with much smaller screen (5.0 vs 5.5).
If them remove the "HTC logo bar", I probably will ignore the aluminum shell and weak camera, and get it as a replacement for icon.

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
They're not going to get another flagship unless someone builds one.

I'm sticking with the Icon for now because the camera is important to me, but I've reached a point where I'm advising friends not to go this route. It's obvious that Windows Phone is only a priority outside of North America. You can easily invest in the MSFT ecosystem with Android or iOS and in many cases the apps are actually better than they are on Windows Phone.

Between Microsoft's silence and Verizon's arrogance, this platform is pretty much doomed in the US.

This could lead to a whole new conversation just on Microsoft's silence alone. I decided not to read a lot into them going all in on cross platform and I do like the experience better on a Windows Phone. But that said, if I had to go to another phone, not sure which phone would have the same or better camera as the ICON.

Iron_Wraith

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
Even if I wasn't under contract I wouldn't switch due to the camera. I came from the One M7 / android. Once it's feasible I'll go to either an iPhone or Nexus device. I'm tired of the screwing on updates. Even more likely, I'll pick up a device friendly to third party ROMS and go prepaid. To each their own. Different things have different levels of importance from one use to the next.

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I used an icon for six months and felt the need for something different. Well, the only thing Verizon had in WP besides the icon which they had "retired" was the M8. Ready for an adventure I decided to give the M8 a try. I ended up liking it much better than the icon. It's definitely a personal preference and if your picky about your camera you will most likely miss the icon's. The M8's cam is very decent and takes good shots so I could live with that, no problem. The rest of it is pure upgrade heaven over the icon. Icon lovers (and I was one) hate it because its not Nokia, its got a lesser pixel cam, it has no Nokia apps etc. The two Nokia apps I needed could be installed on the M8.(nokia drive and here maps), the rest I didn't care about. The M8 is pure smoothness, fantastic battery life, solidly strong WiFi, great speakers etc. the bezel everyone(icon owners) complains about , I don't see the issue. The logo's people say are an eyesore are covered by a case that you WILL NEED, as it is very slick and slippery without one. A minimal case is all it requires just to make it easier to hold. Also improves the look IMO, but this is subjective of course. I decided to sell my M8 simply because I'm tired of the WP platform and wanted to try something else, not because I had found anything wrong with the M8, quite the contrary. So if you can handle a slightly lesser camera than the icon I don't think you'll regret going with an M8. Try it for a couple weeks and see for yourself. Make up your own mind and don't listen to much to the Nokia fanboys(I am one btw, from years ago) Its an awesome device!

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I am certainly thinking about it. Found one on CL. Just don't have the cash right now to get it. But come January if he still has it and we haven't got an update I'm springing for it. And if we do get the update later I can always switch back. I will miss the camera though.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Preach.
SDefinitely wouldn't switch from an icon/1520 to an m8. Feels like a downgrade/sidegrade.

Side Grade would fit this, not really a downgrade over all, as you lose some from the ICON you gain things on the M8....I thought about it but, decided against it...

I have kids, so a good camera is important to me, the M8 is a downgrade on this aspect. Also, if we EVER get Denim on the ICON, that "Hey Cortana" and 4K @30fps recording would be huge for me...(getting a 4K tv soon).

You do get front speakers (to some people this is not a big deal but, I would love it on the ICON, as in a loud room and if I play a video, I have to CUP my hand over the speaker so I can hear it while looking at the video) and you do get MicroSD support, and that would be huge for me too.

No question a perk on both sides but, over all the ICON feels like a more solid phone and over all in my eyes with everything together, the ICON is a lot better phone then the M8.....Just my 0.02 on this...

Screen, CPU speed, over all, minor difference, yea, a game might open a 1/2 a second quicker on the M8 but, over all not a deal breaker or must have thing.

If I found one for like $100, I would grab it, just for when I need a lot of music or videos with me (dump in a 128gb MicroSD card) but, not enough to go out and spend $300+ on one, My ICON works just fine (accept for the Lack of Cyan/Denim)

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have an HTC one M8, sure it's the Android version, and that to me makes the phone crap. The phone feels nice in the hand, but even if it was the Windows version would not give up my Icon. Months back a was talking to a VZW sales rep about the cyan update, and my feels of the lack of release alone with my displeasure with the absence of 8.1. I've always felt that being polite gets you far with the sales reps. The rep was also very polite and helpful and he knew my displeasure with the lack of 8.1, or even an answer to when it could be on its way. So he told me that he could send me an HTC ones M8 Windows phone to replace my Icon to upgrade my phone to the 8.1 version. I didn't mean to be rude to him, but I softly laughed at him and told him that there is no way that I would downgrade my Icon for that phones. That was several months ago and it was weeks before the Icon was pulled. After I told him that I would not downgrade to a lesser phone, he told me that they have been hearing that alot. He also told me that the HTC was not gaining a foot hold because customers were still taking the Icon instead. The camera and wireless charging was two of the main reasons that customers were stating as the reasons why.
Ever since the Icon was pulled, I have been wondering if that's part of the reason for the Icon bring disconnected. The hardware was so close and in some cases better than the HTC, so drop the Icon and keep the 928 that was several years older, so customers looking for a Windows phone would pick the "better" HTC...

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me. Aside from the Front Facing Speakers(subjective), IR blaster(Subjective), and SD card slot(I'll give them that) and the 801 processor(No matter how the M8 fans try to make out to be so better, it really isn't....), the Icon is a better overall phone with fewer compromises imo and if Microsoft/Verizon are committed to bringing Cyan eventually and denim(hopefully) it is stronger imo.

It would not surprise me if HTC is the reason that we have no flagships...There's no reason to discontinue the Icon(Especially since the SE is still being sold) nor is there no reason to bring the 930 to Att and T-Mobile.

I wouldn't be surprised if HTC only brought the M8 to windows only if Microsoft backed off and cancelled their future plans. After all, it is strange that the SE and 928 are still being sold but the Icon isn't.

If true, it's ironic since people are STILL avoiding the M8 in the first place and are content to wait till Fall 2015 or leave the platform entirely. That should tell people something. Most do not want the M8....and you aren't wrong for not downgrading to it from your icon :D Smart choice, but that's just my opinion.

I have an HTC one M8, sure it's the Android version, and that to me makes the phone crap. The phone feels nice in the hand, but even if it was the Windows version would not give up my Icon. Months back a was talking to a VZW sales rep about the cyan update, and my feels of the lack of release alone with my displeasure with the absence of 8.1. I've always felt that being polite gets you far with the sales reps. The rep was also very polite and helpful and he knew my displeasure with the lack of 8.1, or even an answer to when it could be on its way. So he told me that he could send me an HTC ones M8 Windows phone to replace my Icon to upgrade my phone to the 8.1 version. I didn't mean to be rude to him, but I softly laughed at him and told him that there is no way that I would downgrade my Icon for that phones. That was several months ago and it was weeks before the Icon was pulled. After I told him that I would not downgrade to a lesser phone, he told me that they have been hearing that alot. He also told me that the HTC was not gaining a foot hold because customers were still taking the Icon instead. The camera and wireless charging was two of the main reasons that customers were stating as the reasons why.
Ever since the Icon was pulled, I have been wondering if that's part of the reason for the Icon bring disconnected. The hardware was so close and in some cases better than the HTC, so drop the Icon and keep the 928 that was several years older, so customers looking for a Windows phone would pick the "better" HTC...

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
Side Grade would fit this, not really a downgrade over all, as you lose some from the ICON you gain things on the M8....I thought about it but, decided against it...

I have kids, so a good camera is important to me, the M8 is a downgrade on this aspect. Also, if we EVER get Denim on the ICON, that "Hey Cortana" and 4K @30fps recording would be huge for me...(getting a 4K tv soon).

You do get front speakers (to some people this is not a big deal but, I would love it on the ICON, as in a loud room and if I play a video, I have to CUP my hand over the speaker so I can hear it while looking at the video) and you do get MicroSD support, and that would be huge for me too.

No question a perk on both sides but, over all the ICON feels like a more solid phone and over all in my eyes with everything together, the ICON is a lot better phone then the M8.....Just my 0.02 on this...

Screen, CPU speed, over all, minor difference, yea, a game might open a 1/2 a second quicker on the M8 but, over all not a deal breaker or must have thing.

If I found one for like $100, I would grab it, just for when I need a lot of music or videos with me (dump in a 128gb MicroSD card) but, not enough to go out and spend $300+ on one, My ICON works just fine (accept for the Lack of Cyan/Denim)

Yes...I have kids and the ICON tends to take some amazing moments for me, though it is slow with Nokia Camera and the Dev. Preview...I heard Cyan fixes that but that's a whole other subject.

I actually would get the M8 and switch between the two phones if it didn't have a different SIM. Different SIM cards mean more work to switch between the two.

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I'm staying with the Icon, there are pluses and minuses with both, wireless charging and Nokia stuff keeps me here, besides I'm too cheap to switch!

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
It wouldn't surprise me. Aside from the Front Facing Speakers(subjective), IR blaster(Subjective), and SD card slot(I'll give them that) and the 801 processor(No matter how the M8 fans try to make out to be so better, it really isn't....), the Icon is a better overall phone with fewer compromises imo and if Microsoft/Verizon are committed to bringing Cyan eventually and denim(hopefully) it is stronger imo.

It would not surprise me if HTC is the reason that we have no flagships...There's no reason to discontinue the Icon(Especially since the SE is still being sold) nor is there no reason to bring the 930 to Att and T-Mobile.

I wouldn't be surprised if HTC only brought the M8 to windows only if Microsoft backed off and cancelled their future plans. After all, it is strange that the SE and 928 are still being sold but the Icon isn't.

If true, it's ironic since people are STILL avoiding the M8 in the first place and are content to wait till Fall 2015 or leave the platform entirely. That should tell people something. Most do not want the M8....and you aren't wrong for not downgrading to it from your icon :D Smart choice, but that's just my opinion.

Here is the reality at work...we are an iPhone/Windows Phone shop. I've lost 4 people to the iPhone6 from Windows Phone, mainly due to the lack of a flagship model. They wanted the ICON but it was cancelled, so they went iPhone6. They miss the live tiles but they are content. Me, I am ready for a Verizon based update to the 1020. That is what I want...I'm not ready to bolt to iPhone...and I am somewhat hopeful we may see Windows 10 for phone late January if we are lucky via the Dev. Preview...I still am also hopeful we will get Cyan for the ICON...got to remain positive, eh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3