Tried to buy my dad an Icon!

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
went to two different Verizon stores. first was totally cluelsss. second said "well, we don't recommend Windows Phones unless you are happily using Windows 8. " I said, yes my dad uses windows 8. they said "well, we don't stock them, sorry." not 928 or Icon.

wish I had thought to go to the Microsoft store, arrgh. they might've had one. ended up with a moto x instead.

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
"well, we don't recommend Windows Phones unless you are happily using Windows 8. " I said, yes my dad uses windows 8. they said "well, we don't stock them, sorry." not 928 or Icon.

LOL that sound like a dialogue from black comedy movie.

elwin lobo

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
the middle east (or Oman to be specific) also seems to have the same issue... a family member had gone to pick up the 730 and the store guy was like no one buys Windows Phones and Windows based devices are on their last stage and hence they don't keep them in stock.. this happened in 3 different stores with a slight variation in the sentence being used... sometimes it feels like these store guys are getting paid to demote Windows phones :/

rfulton

Dec 13, 2014
Visit site
I purchase my Icon via Microsoft.com or call Verizon and they will sell you a new one and ship it to your home. I suggest the Otterbox Defender as a case, and if you do not like the belt clip, there are several holsters big enough to accommodate both. The DT-900 passive charger is a dream and very fast. Battery life is only 24 hours (for me), because of all the crap I have turned on. The phone will support quick charge from a 2.1v USB charger, but not as quickly as we would all like as WP8.1 is not yet out. Nearly all the battery conservation apps ruined my WiFi connectivity stability. After removing the battery apps. I have rock solid WiFi. On the subject of "selfi's". I like the RetiCam grip with the Giotto adapter on top of a GoPro stick. The camera and defender is very heavy and overwhelms many mini-ball camera mounts. Their appear to be no NFC or Bluetooth remote shutter release devices currently manufactured that work with the Icon. However Vocal Camera is cool in a quiet place. Again Icon is a great choice. Understandably many folks are grumpy about the Icon as long suffering users who want the latest updates, and hate Verizon for abandoning this amazing phone. good luck.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I will never understand going to a store wanting one product and leaving with another haha.

I guess i always know 100% what i want when i go somewhere. Which is why 99% of the time ill order online.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I picked up three Icon's: mine at the Microsoft store (little more of a wait but excellent experience), and the other two at a Verizon store. Horrible experience (but expected so I was ready to battle) got the typical are you sure you don't want 1) iPhone, and 2) any Samsung.

Don't need to tell you folks at least here in the US, retail is the battle ground and where hearts and minds are won or lost. One of the best moves Microsoft made was opening their Kiosks in the malls.

If they can clean up their presence at Best Buy and other brick and mortars, roll our more Microsoft Stores, and at least get the carriers to stop hating even just a little... possibly a new flagship that is too hard to ignore, universal apps to narrow the gap and they might have a fighting chance.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
went to two different Verizon stores. first was totally cluelsss. second said "well, we don't recommend Windows Phones unless you are happily using Windows 8. " I said, yes my dad uses windows 8. they said "well, we don't stock them, sorry." not 928 or Icon.

wish I had thought to go to the Microsoft store, arrgh. they might've had one. ended up with a moto x instead.

I have never had a Verizon employee ever say we don't recommend Windows Phone. This includes numerous company owned stores in the Phoenix Metro area and now west Texas. In fact the West El Paso store looked up which stores in the area had the 928 in stock a few weeks ago. I bought from Amazon instead since it was cheaper but they were quite willing to get me exactly what I wanted from current inventory or have a 928 shipped from the warehouse within 24 hours.

I am sorry but every time I see people make this claim, I wonder what was really said since it is always subject to personal interpretation/filter. Alternatively, if someone really did recommend not buying a product they sell, I would suggest posting the name of the store so that things can be subject to follow up. Of course if it was a franchise store, it would be nice if people would specify since they are not VZW corporate. Beyond all that I am curious as to why anyone would go to a VZW store looking for a retired phone and expressing surprise as to the location not having it in stock.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I am sorry but every time I see people make this claim, I wonder what was really said since it is always subject to personal interpretation/filter.

I've personally heard employees at two different Verizon stores say that they would not recommend a Windows Phone. And as sales people, they're entitled to their opinion. Does it do a disservice to Microsoft? Yeah. Does it do a disservice to Verizon? Probably. Does it do a disservice to the consumer? Maybe.

This story, among many others on these forums, calls attention to something important. Microsoft needs to work with their US Carriers to improve brand value both inside and outside of brick and mortar stores.

If someone says that a Sales Rep. said "We don't recommend Windows Phone," I'm inclined to believe them. I give my fellow Windows fans the benefit of the doubt. I once had a car salesman tell me that he didn't recommend the Honda Accord. It happens! I bought the Accord anyway :wink:

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
here's exactly what they said, "We only recommend Windows Phones for people who are using Windows 8 and are happy with it."

at which point I told her that my dad is happily using win8 on his laptop. at which point she told me they don't stock ANY windows phones (not just Icon, also not 928 or M8), must be ordered

Pacus1x

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I don't....I don't get this or the relevance.

ANYWAY....
Why would you leave with something else that you didn't want and just not go to a Microsoft store or order online?

When i mean black comedy like those dark comedy, morbid comedy or absurdist - surreal humor.

I find the seller answer very confusing... Why not to tell directly to the customer that there are no Lumia phones in the first place.

Myself I was in the same position... I tried hard to get the 1520 and nothing... Most carrier rep made their best efforts to convince me to leave WP... It's so frustrating to the level of surrealism and quite absurd.

Last edited:

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
If someone says that a Sales Rep. said "We don't recommend Windows Phone," I'm inclined to believe them. I give my fellow Windows fans the benefit of the doubt. I once had a car salesman tell me that he didn't recommend the Honda Accord. It happens! I bought the Accord anyway

Well as long as it's not a Civic lol. Seriously so many Civics, I'm surprised people don't realize they're paying a lot to insure it, being the most stolen car in North America and all...

To the Original Poster, I say that it's really to prevent the buyer's remorse from kicking in, since these salesmen are paid by commission if they return it, they don't get the commission (I imagine that's how it works.) How can you suggest a Windows Phone device to the person? I mean it has great 1st party apps, stylish design, great camera, fluid operating system but besides that if the people need app X or app Y and there's no alternative to it on Windows Phone then you're really not going to suggest a Windows Phone to them.

The Icon was "discontinued" in stores but apparently they still sell them at their online store and Microsoft Stores across the USA.

rollindice

Oct 15, 2014
Visit site
I've been to Verizon wireless online and spoke with chat representative, yeah he's right you can't get the Lumia Icon, she was telling to get another phone on 2 year plan for free, or go for the Lumia 928, you can get the Lumia 930 at Nokia Lumia 930 for $385 if you like.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
When i mean black comedy like those dark comedy, morbid comedy or absurdist - surreal humor.

I find the seller answer very confusing... Why not to tell directly to the customer that there are no Lumia phones in the first place.

Myself I was in the same position... I tried hard to get the 1520 and nothing... Most carrier rep made their best efforts to convince me to leave WP... It's so frustrating to the level of surrealism and quite absurd.

There was no need to explain yourself to a few reactionary folks.

Alfa Kapa

Sep 29, 2014
Visit site
The situation here in Greece, in major electronic stores is the same.

In one store, a salesman tried to convince me to look for android.
I had made myself clear that I'm interested in the Lumia 730 but he continued trying to convince me..
..he also told me that 940 is way to expensive and 645 will come soon to this store (WHAAAAT??)
At the end of his delirium, i asked him why do you hate windows phone and he told me with
a very snobby voice ''I try to use WP for 7 years but even the look of it makes me sick''!!

Damn I though the salesman is supposed to help consumer make a decision and buy stuff,
not trying to convince you that the thing that you like sucks...
(I already told him I use WP for the last months and like it)
..It's like going to a sports store to buy a T-shirt of you favorite team and the salesman tell you ''your
favorite team sucks, how are you able to wear this sh*t''?! *with snobby voice*

This is not the first time happening to me, as a girl from another major electronic store was above my
head the hole time i was tasting the demo Lumia 730 and constantly asking me WHY I want to buy this
phone compared to Android? or what I find attractive to WP that Android phones don't have and clearly
she made me feel veery awkward ..
And each clear answer I gave to hear, her reaction was ''f*ck I love Android''

No wonder why WP are going to hell, only conscious people are buying them, tired of android and not
having the money to spend on an iPhone.
If Android gains It's superiority from people guided by sellers at electronic stores, then WP is only getting
attention by those who have some experience with Android and just tired of lags, slowdowns and
complicated actions for simple stuff.

So next time, blame the salesman! :p

DatabaseMX

Apr 9, 2014
Visit site
I have never had a Verizon employee ever say we don't recommend Windows Phone. .... ..... I am sorry but every time I see people make this claim, I wonder what was really said since it is always subject to personal interpretation/filter.

Trust me ... this paradigm is well documented and has happened to me three times since April, including 1.5 weeks ago when I finally dumped the ICON (because of the endless 'sudden battery drain issue") for the HTC One (M8). The 'sales rep' (at my local corp VZN store) had a major tude toward Windows Phone and literally tried to convince me to move to Android! I went in with no attitude, but I certainly left with one ... and the M8.

BTW ... this store had a brand new ICON in stock, and one on display. I was shocked.

This is a very real problem hosted by the clueless morons in Verizon stores (corp and non corp), and a HUGE reason whey Windows Phone is struggling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3