Does my phone have malware on it?

John Naas

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Some of my favorite automotive forums have been running ads for candy crush and age of empires. As soon as that ad loads I am ripped from IE and the AP store opens to one of those games. It will keep doing it until I refresh the pages without those ads. Its horrible and ensures I will never download or use those aps/games. I have been notifying the forums that display these ads since they don't like them either, it actually reduces visits to their forums.

sumothong01

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Lumia Icon Virus Warning

Im getting the same thing. I know to ignore it, but now will pop every few seconds and stack on top of each other and will not stop. It's really annoying.

srikanth reddy4

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

How are you so sure?

just don't care about that popup....its quite common some website display these ads so that some user visits there targeted website.......the ads are designed so cleverly that its resembles a system notification....but don't care just ignore them

OriginalPoster

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
I ran into this scareware this morning on my Lumia 1020, but I stupidly did click the x on the first pop-up message, which was just some garbled text, followed by the usual alert and then the Google play link for the android app. My phone appears to be working fine, but should I be taking any precautions?

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I ran into this scareware this morning on my Lumia 1020, but I stupidly did click the x on the first pop-up message, which was just some garbled text, followed by the usual alert and then the Google play link for the android app. My phone appears to be working fine, but should I be taking any precautions?

You will be fine. It was targeted towards an Android user and won't affect you. Any kind of malware designed for Android, won't work on Windows.

thebcooper

Feb 11, 2014
Visit site
On a related note, the "Placebo Antivirus" app I built has been downloaded over 148000 times. Go figure...

You think people would notice that the apps like that don't do anything. -__- I'm hoping that with windows 10 there will be more apps submitted that are actual apps which people shouldn't feel ashamed to use which will push apps like that down and they will eventually fade into oblivion.

Maybe someday there will be an adblocker built in anyway, like iOS 9 is pushing for. (if there is one already, I'm sorry, please point me towards it!).
Then again, when that happens, ad companies will find ways around it and do different things.
Ad blocking is a difficult subject anyway. Websites need it to stay afloat, but it is not good for end consumers normally.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You think people would notice that the apps like that don't do anything. -__- I'm hoping that with windows 10 there will be more apps submitted that are actual apps which people shouldn't feel ashamed to use which will push apps like that down and they will eventually fade into oblivion.

Maybe someday there will be an adblocker built in anyway, like iOS 9 is pushing for. (if there is one already, I'm sorry, please point me towards it!).
Then again, when that happens, ad companies will find ways around it and do different things.
Ad blocking is a difficult subject anyway. Websites need it to stay afloat, but it is not good for end consumers normally.

Placebo AV came about as a result of these threads interestingly enough IIRC.

It's a joke, but one that's educational though I believe.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

Yes, I originally made it as an inside joke, but it grew from there. It's probably about time for an update. Seeing how popular it's become, if I knew how, I could load it with ads. But I have no desire to do that.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

On a related note, the "Placebo Antivirus" app I built has been downloaded over 148000 times. Go figure...

Yes, I originally made it as an inside joke, but it grew from there. It's probably about time for an update. Seeing how popular it's become, if I knew how, I could load it with ads. But I have no desire to do that.

I got a good laugh out of it!

For those of you who don't know what he's talking about: https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...s-for-winphones%2F9nblgggxz8lf&token=OEGE1hiQ

Nameesha Tantri

Dec 30, 2016
Visit site

You can't get malware from the web on a windows phone. What you got is a popup scare tactic and browser redirect to buy some android software off the google play store, nothing more.
Dude I went to a website . When I went it said that the website is not secure . Now I am scared that is my phone hacked or has malwares . Please help.me .

jeffchapik

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site

No, your phone is fine. There is no malware on Windows phones. The operating system does not allow it. Clear your browser cache and you will be fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077