Lumia Denim on Lumia Icon

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site

grafixguy#AC

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Why?

Yes, we'll PROBABLY get Denim, but it would not shock me if we don't. Everything is dependent on "carrier approval" and we have no assurance from Verizon that they will approve it.

Remember, for the 928 and the 822, the update to Denim is in name only. For the Icon it's a real firmware update. Add to the fact that the Icon was supposed to be first to get it in the fourth quarter, there's no reason to believe anything anyone says.

Last edited:

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
If OEMs were to go away from SoC, then Microsoft would be able to update the firmware for certain things like Bluetooth and WiFi.

Unfortunately, the way the 80x Snapdragon is designed prohibits that. The Snapdragon is more than just the CPU and GPU, the GSM, LTE, CDMA, WiFi, and Bluetooth radios; as well as the DSP, are all integrated into the chip. This makes it much more problematic since Microsoft doesn't manufacture it. Qualcomm makes the chip, so any firmware updates come from them. They provide the firmware updates to Microsoft, who then includes it in the overall OS/firmware update to Verizon.

I suppose Microsoft could update the camera's firmware without getting into trouble since that is a separate piece of hardware from the main chip. I just don't know how integrated the camera is to the GPU and DSP.

Hotvak123

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Why?

Yes, we'll PROBABLY get Denim, but it would not shock me if we don't. Everything is dependent on "carrier approval" and we have no assurance from Verizon that they will approve it.

Remember, for the 928 and the 822, the update to Denim is in name only. For the Icon it's a real firmware update. Add to the fact that the Icon was supposed to be first to get it in the fourth quarter, there's no reason to believe anything anyone says.

your statement (not a word from Verizon) when in reality they did make a statement .

"Quote"
Verizon has today announced the Windows Phone 8.1 and Lumia Denim update for the Lumia 928 and Lumia 822,
At least Verizon has said something, it may not be what you want to hear. you just can't deny there statement.

jazz70

May 28, 2014
Visit site
quoting myself from a post I did before Christmas when the news of the Denim release from Verizon broke:

Lumia Icon Denim update scheduled for early 2015 | Windows Central

joebelfiore
?@joebelfiore Happy Holidays WP users on Verizon! The 928 and 922 updates (WP8.1 + Denim) go live today and the ICON is on deck for early 2015.

https://twitter.com/joebelfiore/status/545978520317341696

We also recognize that many of you on Verizon who have the Lumia Icon are anxious to hear about updates for your Windows Phone. Today we are confirming that the Lumia Icon will receive the upgrade to Windows Phone 8.1 in early 2015. This upgrade will also be the Lumia Denim update!

Verizon announces Windows Phone 8.1 upgrades for Lumia 822 and Lumia 928

I think Microsoft and Belfiore are the only ones that have ever mentioned anything about the Icon and Denim, I think the last time Verizon said anything about the Icon was when they released that vague statement saying that they had "retired" the Icon and that months and months ago

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
If I had twitter I would have made a post on Joe's account saying thanks for the Icon Denim update before your Win10 reveal...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3