Fatal Denim Update Failure

Longstone

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Wife and I both have Lumia Icon's, my Denim update went perfect yesterday using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool. She wanted me to run it for a day prior to upgrading hers and reluctantly I agreed. After assuring her it was solid she told me to go head and do the same to hers.

Well her's didn't go so well. It got just over half way finished with her update and the phone rebooted. I attempted to recover but when the phone rebooted I received a message from the computer the usb device had an error.

I tried 3 different computers and all said the same thing, couldn't read the usb device due to an error.

So I called Verizon and they had never heard of the issue and are sending me a new phone.

My question is has anyone ever seen this? Is the phone bricked or can it be salvaged?WP_20150212_16_53_23_Pro.jpg

Hard reset does nothing, no matter what I do it just comes back to this screen.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Download the Nokia Recovery tool for retailers (link is around here some where) it has an option for a non bootable phone, never tried it but, it might help you.

Longstone

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
So for anyone interested in the outcome. I kept trying the 5.0.5 Lumia Recovery tool and it kept failing on the phone that wouldn't boot. I let the battery completely deplete and tried again following the prompts for a phone that wouldn't boot: start the recovery tool with phone unplugged, plugged it in when it prompted, this time it found the phone and restored it.

I tried this same process no less than a dozen times shortly after the actual failure occurred and it would not find the phone. I don't know if allowing the battery to deplete completely was the key or coincidence. Regardless I was able to restore the phone and it's running Denim great.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So for anyone interested in the outcome. I kept trying the 5.0.5 Lumia Recovery tool and it kept failing on the phone that wouldn't boot. I let the battery completely deplete and tried again following the prompts for a phone that wouldn't boot: start the recovery tool with phone unplugged, plugged it in when it prompted, this time it found the phone and restored it.

I tried this same process no less than a dozen times shortly after the actual failure occurred and it would not find the phone. I don't know if allowing the battery to deplete completely was the key or coincidence. Regardless I was able to restore the phone and it's running Denim great.

I sometimes buy used phones and re-sell them (cant turn down free money), I have had about 7-8 WP8 devices and one of them was FUBR with the same error, by letting the battery drain till I could no longer turn it on, fixed one of the phones.

When all else fails, this is something to try....

Glad to hear you got your phone working...

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo