What charger do you use for your Icon?

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I just bought an icon from Swappa. It doesn't come with a charger so I am in the market for one. I would love to pick up an original Icon charger but failed to find any on Amazon nor Ebay... From the Microsoft specs, it suppose to come with AC-60, which is a fast charger with 1.5a.

Do you guys use that or just any OEM nokia charger which only output 1.3a... any major differences???

Thanks!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Any USB charger will work.

Higher Amp rating means it faster, the limit is the phone. A 2 A charger is faster than a 1.3 A one, but hey, they all work and work well. The problematic ones might be the cheapo ones.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
The only charger i have used in about 10 months is a Nokia DT-900 wireless charging pad...but you can find Qi chargers all over now for fairly cheap...

Ejay Lozano

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I got 4 DT-910 wireless charging stands. 2 in my room, one in the living room and one I the bathroom. I love the convenience of not having to mess with wires. I'm tempted to get the DT-903 glowing charging pad, but not liking the price tag at the moment...

someguyatx

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I grabbed an AC60 charger off amazon for $7, 1.5A and it charges very quickly. My old Samsung 1A charger works fine but takes longer. Also just picked up a wireless charging plate today off eBay for $15

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I primarily use the Nokia wireless charging stand;
Nokia Wireless Charging Stand - Microsoft - USA
The phone is upright and visible, one of the cool accessories for the Icon.
That charging stand that you are referring to is the DT-910 right?
I just ordered 2 of those and was wondering how well they work, and also how quickly they take to charge the phone.
With this charger in this picture one thing i never understood was why is the phone in/on the charger in this way, is there a point to setting the phone in the charger this way?
1360744825-dt-910b-.jpg

But i guess so far that the consensus is that wireless charging is the most popular way of charging the phone. And as i stated in my previous post you can pick up Qi charges for fairly cheap. At first i didn't really see the point and I figured, I'll just use the supplied cable, or one of the other 15 USB charge cables i had floating around from all the other cell phones and other devices. But i got the DT-900 for almost nothing and since that i almost never plug my phone in. Unless I'm in the car, because that's really the only place that i keep any USB cables. And i haven't picked up one of those Qi car chargers yet. But i digress, and hope that one of you can tell me how the DT-910 works, and why the picture shows the phone "connected" in that fashion, and i thank you in advance...

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
That charging stand that you are referring to is the DT-910 right?
I just ordered 2 of those and was wondering how well they work, and also how quickly they take to charge the phone.
With this charger in this picture one thing i never understood was why is the phone in/on the charger in this way, is there a point to setting the phone in the charger this way?
View attachment 98587

But i guess so far that the consensus is that wireless charging is the most popular way of charging the phone. And as i stated in my previous post you can pick up Qi charges for fairly cheap. At first i didn't really see the point and I figured, I'll just use the supplied cable, or one of the other 15 USB charge cables i had floating around from all the other cell phones and other devices. But i got the DT-900 for almost nothing and since that i almost never plug my phone in. Unless I'm in the car, because that's really the only place that i keep any USB cables. And i haven't picked up one of those Qi car chargers yet. But i digress, and hope that one of you can tell me how the DT-910 works, and why the picture shows the phone "connected" in that fashion, and i thank you in advance...

I have two of the DT-910s and I'm very happy with them. The photo you ask about is for marketing purposes. It doesn't show how you would or could connect phone to pad -- the near end of the phone wouldn't perch in midair as the photo shows it. Its purpose is just to let you see both phone and pad. If you put the phone on the pad in portrait mode, as you normally would, the phone would hide the pad,

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have two of the DT-910s and I'm very happy with them. The photo you ask about is for marketing purposes. It doesn't show how you would or could connect phone to pad -- the near end of the phone wouldn't perch in midair as the photo shows it. Its purpose is just to let you see both phone and pad. If you put the phone on the pad in portrait mode, as you normally would, the phone would hide the pad,

Ok, thank you, i was also researching all over the interweb, and i took it as them just showing how you would hold the phone to the charger to bring up the extra features that the charger offers. I may be wrong but from the one review i read it was saying that you need to tap the phone to the chargers base to bring up the NFC command features (like say the weather app) so that when you put the phone into the charger the weather app will work.
But im probably wrong...

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Sorry I didn't answer right away, but it looks like your questions were answered. Yes, I'm using the DT-910. No, the picture does not show how the phone normally sits in the charger, I'm not using the NFC aspect of the charger, but I think the commenters are right that you tap the phone to the base of the charger to engage the NFC tag. I haven't compared charging times of the DT-910 versus USB, but it seems to charge the Icon quickly. Actually, I'd like to have the option to trickle charge as rapid charging shortens battery life.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I use a DT-910 on my night stand, a DT-900 on my end table next to my chair in the living room, and a CR-200 (updated) in my car. Since updating to Denim, charging for all of them has been much quicker. Microsoft also makes a wireless portable charging plate as well. It's essentially a DT-900 that has an integrated battery. You charge the charger via USB, then you can take it with you.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I use a DT-910 on my night stand, a DT-900 on my end table next to my chair in the living room, and a CR-200 (updated) in my car. Since updating to Denim, charging for all of them has been much quicker. Microsoft also makes a wireless portable charging plate as well. It's essentially a DT-900 that has an integrated battery. You charge the charger via USB, then you can take it with you.

The CR-200, that is actually the charger that i was looking at. My only problem is i really don't have any place to put the suction cup thingy to hold the charger. The only place that worked for me was on the windshield, but then the phone was too far away for me to text and drive discreetly. I tried using Cortana and voice to text, but she always seemed to get confused, i think the phone was just a little too far away to pick up my voice, and I'm sure i look as a fool yelling at "myself". Then my microphone that goes with my stereo i tried moving that around all over the car, but the only place that worked well enough was stuck to the arm of my glasses. So i gave up and stuck with a normal charge cable. That way like i said i can't discreetly text and watch Netflix.

I know i really shouldn't be texting and driving, and that was actually a joke, because seeing i lost my left arm i really shouldn't be driving a standard either, but i can't give that up?

Ill look for that wireless portable charger, but I think ill probably forget to recharge it...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The CR-200, that is actually the charger that i was looking at. My only problem is i really don't have any place to put the suction cup thingy to hold the charger. The only place that worked for me was on the windshield, but then the phone was too far away for me to text and drive discreetly. I tried using Cortana and voice to text, but she always seemed to get confused, i think the phone was just a little too far away to pick up my voice, and I'm sure i look as a fool yelling at "myself". Then my microphone that goes with my stereo i tried moving that around all over the car, but the only place that worked well enough was stuck to the arm of my glasses. So i gave up and stuck with a normal charge cable. That way like i said i can't discreetly text and watch Netflix.

I know i really shouldn't be texting and driving, and that was actually a joke, because seeing i lost my left arm i really shouldn't be driving a standard either, but i can't give that up…

Ill look for that wireless portable charger, but I think ill probably forget to recharge it...

I have my CR-200 on the dash right in front of my steering wheel. I can reach the phone with my fingers without taking my hands off the steering wheel. It's also in my line of sight so I can see my GPS or anything else without taking my eyes off the road.

The portable charging plate is called the DC-50.

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...Fmobile%2Faccessory%2Fdc-50%2F&token=eqzCb72Z

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I have my CR-200 on the dash right in front of my steering wheel. I can reach the phone with my fingers without taking my hands off the steering wheel. It's also in my line of sight so I can see my GPS or anything else without taking my eyes off the road.
does it block your tach or speedo, or other important gages?
But i didn't even think to try it there, I normally put the phone there when I'm watching Netflix or movies (yes not while driving) but this is my winter car and I'll probably be driving this until almost June. For your warm weather people some of us people in cold climates, like states that get snow, we have multiple cars so our nice cars don't get junked because some kids think they are Ken block and think they know how to drift around turns. Even though they have front wheel drive and they end up learning about under steer instead.This pictured car is actually my back up, back up car because my '02 beamer is barried under snow. will i think its still there, because there is a huge pile of snow that resembles a car.
Any way I returns the CR-200, so i think I'll pick one up again. Because in the red "circled" section that it fairly smooth, but just behind that section is my mic for the voice controls on the radio, but I'll give it a try. Also what did you mean be updated?

WP_20141023_13_24_17_Pro2.jpg

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
No. I guess I should have been more specific. It is on my dash board above the gauges directly in front of my steering wheel. So it doesn't block any of the view of my gauges; nor does it block my view of driving.

arbyjr

May 22, 2014
Visit site
No. I guess I should have been more specific. It is on my dash board above the gauges directly in front of my steering wheel. So it doesn't block any of the view of my gauges; nor does it block my view of driving.
oh ok so like the "heads up" driving display. OK thank you for your time...

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
I tried using Cortana and voice to text, but she always seemed to get confused, i think the phone was just a little too far away to pick up my voice, and I'm sure i look as a fool yelling at "myself". Then my microphone that goes with my stereo i tried moving that around all over the car, but the only place that worked well enough was stuck to the arm of my glasses...

That was one of the first things I tried with Cortana, same result. I think the background noise of the car driving down the road is too much for her voice recognition to filter out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb