Icon owners moving to the Flagship?

final_fantasy781

Mar 17, 2014
Visit site
So you fellow Icon owners: With an up and coming flagship phone to arrive when Windows 10 is released, will you be moving to the flagship? Or maybe to another Windows Phone, or a complete different phone entirely?

I'm having a hard time to decide whether I want to go to the new flagship or keep my Icon. The Icon is the only one of its kind; it's the only phone in the Lumia line-up to have an actual name; it's the only Lumia with a name to have a sub-number name; it's the only Lumia to get confused with the 930 with a one-number difference and it's the only phone like the 930 available to Verizon and the US(?).

I can go on and on, but it's the real 'Icon'. Unfortunately, six months after it's release, it gets removed as an actual phone that Verizon will sell. However, the phone does have issues, too.

I would hate to move from the Icon. Windows 10 will be available to all Lumia phones, as well as the Icon.
What is your thoughts?

zeref0016

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Upgrading is the keyword here. If the new flagships (i am dreaming that MS, Samsung and HTC will offer Windows flagships later this year ) that are yet to arrive after the release of W10 are better upgrades to your icon then why not upgrade right?? But if youre really attached to your ICON then stay with it, it will eventually get W10 tho. :))

SteveNoza

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Now that we have 8.1/Denim, I'm good to go 'till W10 mobile, so I'll likely hang on to the Icon for a while. When the time comes to replace my Icon, I'd like to get a 4.5-4.7" phone, so I might get the 735, or something like it. I'd love to see a "mini" version of whatever flagship Microsoft comes out with.

mikeofthegarden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
It depends upon several factors for me. Most notably, how do I like Windows 10? How does it operate on my Icon? How much better is the "flagship" than my Icon? Are developers still ignoring Windows 10's universal apps? Is the ecosystem better with Windows 10? Lots of questions to be asked before I'd update. I love WP, but I almost feel like I'm fighting a losing battle.

Robinsonmac

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I can upgrade now via edge but will wait until the holiday to see what they have. Currently the icon does all I need it to do & it does it very well. Not upgrading for upgrading's sake, Will upgrade when the icon shows it age which won't be until next year I don't think.

anon(5445874)

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Everytime I call my mom on skype, she always asks when new phones are coming out. She really wanted a 1520 but they live in an area where AT&T doesn't have service. Which is really awful for them because Verizon has the worst selection, not that the icon isn't bad, but it's only one phone. So it would be sweet if I could report to her that a new 6 inch phone was coming to Verizon.

ytrewq

May 22, 2014
Visit site
It would depend on the ways in which the new phone is better.

I'm very happy with the Icon. It does not lack for speed, so a better processor doesn't help me. The phone is just the right size, so a different form factor doesn't help me. I could nitpick the internal flash storage and lack of SD card, but I mostly use OneDrive for storing stuff anyway. The battery lasts me all day, so I would not spend money to get a longer battery life. The camera is excellent, although perhaps if they improved the image stabalization (which is already very good) I could be persuaded to part with some cash for that. But overall, I'm not sure what improvements they could make that would make me fork over cash for a new phone. At some point, it's good enough the way it is.

mtalinm

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
10 will run on Icon, so no need to upgrade.
Icon is for me the near-perfect phone. sure, i'd like it a bit thinner & lighter but not in exchange for some crummy 8MP camera

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I had checked out the note 4 or 5 edge cause it looked pretty cool. Thinking that Verizon wasn't gonna have anything past the Icon. I had asked and they said they would be getting the Microsoft line, but was kinda vague do who's to know. I love my Icon, the size is good and awesome camera and the battery can always use some help. Some apps eat up the battery more than others aside from games.

someguyatx

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
My ideal version of the Icon would be waterproof, with removable battery, sdcard slot, IR remote control, and notification light. Looking at the Galaxy S6 and HTC One M9 specs that were just released this week our current Icon is as good or better than these two devices in almost all categories and they are not even out yet.

Also according to Microsoft there will be no new flagship until Windows 10. Check the Verge for source, cant post links yet

cbreze

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
If a flagship doesn't come out till 4th quarter "maybe" and by then the icon is, what, pushing close to 2 years old? I would think a lot of folks would be ready to jump on something new in the flagship category. Any new flagship getting rave reviews would push icon owners over in droves.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
A lot depends on Verizon actually adopting a new Lumia. None of the other carriers have near the coverage Verizon does for me. I'm very happy with my Icon as it is now. My contract is up in August, so I'm content to wait it out and in no hurry. If W10 on the Icon is blessed by Verizon (ie no firmware fiasco ala Cyan) I'd probably be happy. If a new Lumia flagship is available on Verizon, I would also be happy. If neither of those pan out, I am also fine with my Icon with Denim for a while longer.

In short, the Icon is a very substantial phone that hits a lot of sweet spots for me.

xrs22

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
A lot depends on Verizon actually adopting a new Lumia. None of the other carriers have near the coverage Verizon does for me. I'm very happy with my Icon as it is now. My contract is up in August, so I'm content to wait it out and in no hurry. If W10 on the Icon is blessed by Verizon (ie no firmware fiasco ala Cyan) I'd probably be happy. If a new Lumia flagship is available on Verizon, I would also be happy. If neither of those pan out, I am also fine with my Icon with Denim for a while longer.

In short, the Icon is a very substantial phone that hits a lot of sweet spots for me.

+1

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
For me, I'm on an old America's Choice II family plan and have unlimited data. No more subsidized upgrades for me. Wife uses a flip phone, so using her line for an upgrade phone is out.

That means my next phone will be full price...MS will have to bring their A game to the table. I'm already disenchanted with a lot of the changes, but a top flight device (read: minimum, successor to the 929 and/or 1020) running W10 should keep me off iPhone.

Probably no chance I'll switch to Android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3