Still Running Insider Preview 10080?

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Just curious if people are still running the Insider Preview on the Icon? I decided to stick it out...I had to perform a hard or factory reset after removing all of my pinned icons and ended up with the app drawer as my start screen, but after the fresh install it seems relatively stable. I do see where they are going on some of the app previews and it seems positive. Things still broken at least for me are 'Hey Cortana', navigating with Cortana, setting any personalization and getting it to stick, live tile updates from some apps (Windows Central as an example) etc.

Other than that I am still able to use it as my daily driver without too much trouble. What are you encountering?

A.

JimONeil

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Similar story here with factory reset, Cortana not working... battery life is horrible < 12 hours normally could go a day and half. Have had issues connecting with Wi-Fi as well.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Have had issues connecting with Wi-Fi as well.

Yeah I noticed that too, seems to take its sweet a$$ time like everything else. Gabe Aul said no new build this week, hope that means they are going to try to squash as many bugs as possible.

Last edited:

Chubbynaga

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Nope, had it for a day, too buggy to even use as my secondary device. Went back to 8.1. I hope they will fix all the issues/bugs and I will be happy to install the Preview again.

David Feifer

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
After hard reset I haven't really noticed any issues other then slightly less battery and Cortana. Though, I guess I am one of the weird ones that actually use the phone as a phone and not as an app delivery system.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
For those who went back to 8.1, did you notice that Cortana only serves Bing search results? For example, "I need directions to work" or "How is the weather?" results in Bing search results and not contextual based conversation.?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm still running it on my 920 but I won't update my 1520 with it yet. After the incessant loading of the start screen, I decided to remove all my apps and reload from backup. That worked.

I find I like a lot of what is going on in Windows 10 for phones and hope a build will come out so I can feel comfortable enough to install it on my 1520. I love the Store, calendar, Outlook and Outlook Calendar blows me away and Edge aka Project Spartan quite a lot. Nokia Music is Zune in a new 3-piece suit. Smooth an fast. OneDrive is just killer. Especially the way it allows you to view uploaded images.

One thing I found out is on my 920, if I have the setting to sensitive touch, none of the icons on the desktop work and I have to run everything from the app list. Setting it to normal touch allows me to use the desktop normally. I guess that should be expected since they seem to be building out Windows 10 default apps in this build and not so much functionality in the OS itself. My 920 isn't my daily driver anymore but for testing its not bad and Windows 10 for phones is gonna be sweet!

Pavstar619

May 4, 2015
Visit site
Just curious if people are still running the Insider Preview on the Icon? I decided to stick it out...I had to perform a hard or factory reset after removing all of my pinned icons and ended up with the app drawer as my start screen, but after the fresh install it seems relatively stable.

Hi, Just wondering will Windows 8.1 Apps work if I install the Xaps and APPx from my SD Card by transferring from PC? Thanks in advance :smile:

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I love the Store, calendar, Outlook and Outlook Calendar
Hi, when you mention the calendar and Outlook Calendar, what are you referring to with the calendar?
I have the Outlook calendar (not overly impressed and it doesn't even display the date on the live tile), but no separate calendar.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi, when you mention the calendar and Outlook Calendar, what are you referring to with the calendar?
I have the Outlook calendar (not overly impressed and it doesn't even display the date on the live tile), but no separate calendar.

I have heard that the views are limited in this build with the calendar app...things like week and month view are on the way, the live tiles are a mess of a different caliber so no surprise there...even if it did have a date in the tile it would be too blurry to read =)

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

I'm looking at the big picture but I am very impressed with it. I also know its under development. But you know this already.

charlatan1978

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm looking at the big picture but I am very impressed with it. I also know its under development. But you know this already.
Hi, I do appreciate it is under development and I did find it useable on my L930 (I had it running for about 2 weeks). It got installed by accident really as I had signed up to the Windows Insider app and couldn't stop it installing. I have since gone back to WP8.1 on my L930 but have kept it on my secondary L625.
I do actually like it, Outlook mail app is very good and the start screen (with a background photo) is an improvement.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
I saw on Gabe Aul's Twitter that Microsoft is testing the next build internally, so we may have a new build soon (probably next week at this point).

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
"Sucked"? I have a hard time this that statement. I'm using it on my daily driver and while it has plenty of room for improvement on the performance side (mainly loading the start screen) otherwise its been relatively problem free. There are pros/cons. I'd say the only remaining significant issue for me is that I can't get OneDrive to work at all. Yet above someone mentioned that they love the OneDrive app. So I guess everyones mileage may vary.

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Yet above someone mentioned that they love the OneDrive app. So I guess everyones mileage may vary.

My OneDrive app was broken as well and yet another hard reset solved that. I noticed after the most recent hard reset I just let the phone sit there over night and when I woke up in the morning there were no app updates and everything has worked pretty well since including OneDrive.

I am going to give it two weeks or I might roll back since I just got a Microsoft Band and would love to use some of the features that don't work with the new Cortana or messages etc.

A.

Last edited:

antonius138

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Well I rolled back to 8.1... The reason? My new Microsoft Band. I see least wanted to play with the notifications etc. No dice on 10 preview as only the calendar works. Man do miss the new outlook and music apps already!

Garrymp

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Rolling back to 8.1 tonight. Windows 10 on the Icon is a hot mess. Screen locks, tiles disappearing and moving around, the Outlook beta will not handle POP3 (many wouldn't care but I do). It was fun for a while but started wearing on me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium