Installing WM10 on Lumia Icon

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I got a lumia icon like a week ago to try windows 10 as a daily phone. I updated it to the latest insider fast ring. It was getting very hot and battery power dropped like a rock. So I did a hard reset, and it went back to 8.1. So do I reset from previous build or start fresh, and if so, when I download the preview build app, should I pick slow ring or which? Thanks!

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I got a lumia icon like a week ago to try windows 10 as a daily phone. I updated it to the latest insider fast ring. It was getting very hot and battery power dropped like a rock. So I did a hard reset, and it went back to 8.1. So do I reset from previous build or start fresh, and if so, when I download the preview build app, should I pick slow ring or which? Thanks!

Based on my own experience, I would suggest that you start fresh and then pick release preview in insider, install and finally go back into insider and choose production.

Sent from mTalk

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Based on my own experience, I would suggest that you start fresh and then pick release preview in insider, install and finally go back into insider and choose production.

Sent from mTalk

Thanks for the reply! Is that Redstone then or threshold? All these build numbers and stuff kinda gets confusing.. Lol

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the reply! Is that Redstone then or threshold? All these build numbers and stuff kinda gets confusing.. Lol

No worries, I totally understand you on that haha. I'm not sure, it might be Redstone. That would put you on the last official build that MS put out.

I was also confused and I'm still kind of confused lol, but the Slow Ring almost broke my 640, which I didn't expect to happen at all. As long as you can avoid that, I think you should be fine. My 435 works for the most part, but some apps don't work as they should because I thought that the Slow Ring would be the best.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The latest build on the Release Preview ring is Threshold 2 aka the Production 10586.xxx builds. Insider Slow and Fast will give you the least stable and slightly stable Redstone builds. Since WM10 is a major upgrade from 8.1, it's advisable to update to the Release Preview build and perform a hard reset after the update. You'll receive 2 OS updates after enrolling in Release Preview, 10586.107 (WM10 RTM) and the latest 10586.318 (May update). Perform the hard reset after updating to 10586.318. Good luck.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, was wrong about it going back to 8.1... Went to the Microsoft store today, and they showed me how to close down apps running in the background, and the biggest culprit of all was the windows central app. They said to try and hold out for the next release and see if that fixes anything, and if not, I suppose I will go back to my note 4.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Why not try the stable version before making a judgment? The production 10586.318 build was released for daily use, not the pre production/beta developer preview builds from the Redstone branch.

Galway 77

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Why not try the stable version before making a judgment? The production 10586.318 build was released for daily use, not the pre production/beta developer preview builds from the Redstone branch.

I'm going to try that maybe tomorrow. Didn't get a chance today, and the Microsoft store happened to be in the mall I was in. I suppose I'm not that tech savvy to be playing around with phones like this...lol
But thanks for your help. Phone is charging now, but I will try

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I tried Insider months ago last year and it was horrible. .318 on the other hand, has been nice to me and I'm not comfortable with beta software at all. Just trying to see how this battery life plays out for me.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
I tried Insider months ago last year and it was horrible. .318 on the other hand, has been nice to me and I'm not comfortable with beta software at all. Just trying to see how this battery life plays out for me.

Yeah the latest builds have completely wrecked my battery life. I'll give .318 a try though. Is that the slow ring, production review, or release preview?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Yeah the latest builds have completely wrecked my battery life. I'll give .318 a try though. Is that the slow ring, production review, or release preview?

It's the release preview. Get that one, install it and then choose Production when you open up insider again.

augustaville

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi -
The current Redstone version is a disaster on the Icon - the battery only lasts a couple of hours. Biggest uses of battery on my device are Microsoft Health 75% in the background and Cortana 50% in the background. Even shutting these down doesn't make a large difference. The phone drains faster than a wireless charger can charge. Previous Redstone versions were just fine and dandy. Just hold out until you hear if the next Redstone version is any better for the Icon/930 models.

Generalheed

Jan 22, 2015
Visit site
It's the release preview. Get that one, install it and then choose Production when you open up insider again.

Just installed .318 again, but what's the difference between release preview and production? It sounds like Release Preview is all the stable builds as well.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Redstone at this current stage I would say is extremely "volatile" in terms of stability on older models, best bet is to stay on the release preview ring. Until the anniversary update draws closer as then the red stone builds will start becoming more stable. This is a similar pattern which occured with TH 1 and TH2, most likely remain the same into the forseeable future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium