HP Touchpad $99!!! think win8 or android will be ported?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
did anyone happen to pick the hp touchpad for $99.00? that is the deal of the year! they are selling out everywhere of course, and people are fighting at local best buy stores, lol. you can register on hp.com and or newegg.com to be notified when they are available. i got lucky and bought 2 of them this morning at barnesandnoble.com (may still be available) however my question to keep this related to general windows discussion, is do you think that webos now being obsolete, that either win8 (apollo) or android will be ported over? if not, what is the liklihood of someone like google or microsoft buying it?

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Palm is technically still alive and if HP licenses WebOS to different OEMs then the platform might stay alive for quite some time. I just hope any future updates is ported to older devices.

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
webOS Refugee here. With any luck, webOS will not be obsoleted. For anyone who picked up a touchpad I encourage you to get a feel for webOS. It's definitely a cousin to windows phone 7. I am hoping the huge influx of people buying the touchpad will encourage HP to continue supporting the OS and to find a good hardware manufacturer to make decent devices. I am quickly falling for WP7 but without some major changes it will never overtake my love of webOS.

The options right now are HP licensing the OS out to hardware makers and maybe someone buying webOS right out. Personally I would like to see them do what google did with their google branded phones and pay a hardware maker to build them hardware instead of doing it inhouse.

That being said, there is an active community working on installing Android on the touchpad. As a webOS ****** though I find it to be a bit sacrelig ;)

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
true true, i am not hoping to see webos fade away... actually i hope the exact oppisite due to its very loyal community. only thing is that by now them no longer supporting it, there wont be anymore apps coming. so that being said for those of us who own one, it would be nice for another os to be ported just for the sake of the selection of apps. i cant wait to get it though and play with it. im sure i will love the os by what i have heard... its unfortunate really

nyquistjack

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
true true, i am not hoping to see webos fade away... actually i hope the exact oppisite due to its very loyal community. only thing is that by now them no longer supporting it, there wont be anymore apps coming. so that being said for those of us who own one, it would be nice for another os to be ported just for the sake of the selection of apps. i cant wait to get it though and play with it. im sure i will love the os by what i have heard... its unfortunate really

Sadly, you make a very good point. If webOS does completely tank, there may be a time where I am thankful that at least something works that I can get apps for.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I paid for one on Amazon and now, it's being said that it may be cancelled as I didn't choose the 1 day shipping option. SMH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12